Parenting
Options

At what temp do you start using winter boots?

It's going to be a few degrees above freezing this week.  L wasn't walking last winter so he never used winter boots.  What temperature do you start putting them in their boots?  Around freezing?  

Also, does anywhere sell warm/thick socks for this age?  I've only ever seen normal weight socks around here. 

image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: At what temp do you start using winter boots?

• Options
    We only do boots for snow.  They're not outside very long just walking to and from the car.  Regular socks.  If they're playing out in the snow we do boots and may just double up on socks.  Then they have the snow pants, hat, mittens...
  • Options

imagelazysusan:
    We only do boots for snow.  They're not outside very long just walking to and from the car.  Regular socks.  If they're playing out in the snow we do boots and may just double up on socks.  Then they have the snow pants, hat, mittens...

This.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We've only done boots for snow, too, since if we're out it's usually just to the car and back. If I think he'll have to walk in slush or something I'll put boots on him. I've been looking for a pair of more casual boots but haven't found any that are a good fit for him yet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You know, I'd like to say we only do boots for snow-  but we wear them a lot of the winter.  It is really cold and snowy here in ND.  For me, boots are easy because 2 of my 3 kids can normally get them on.  Of course, we also have snow boots, winter boots (not waterproof) and usually several other pairs of "fashion" boots.
  • Options

He's in daycare, and they are out on the playground twice a day, for up to an hour.  They moderate the time with how cold everybody is getting (so they are only out for a few minutes if it's below -20C).  

I am just thinking if it's around freezing outside and they are outside for half an hour his feet might get cold in rubber boots or regular shoes.  I guess we'll just have to play it by ear.   

image image

• Options

imageArnegard:
    You know, I'd like to say we only do boots for snow-  but we wear them a lot of the winter.  It is really cold and snowy here in ND.  For me, boots are easy because 2 of my 3 kids can normally get them on.  Of course, we also have snow boots, winter boots (not waterproof) and usually several other pairs of "fashion" boots.

I'm wondering if I should try to find him boots that aren't "winter" snow boots.  Something that won't be as warm as his snow boots, but warmer than shoes.  I just cannot remember seeing such things for boys, mostly you see fashion boots that would work for girls, not boys?  Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

image image

• Options
    imageCopperT0p:

I'm wondering if I should try to find him boots that aren't "winter" snow boots.  Something that won't be as warm as his snow boots, but warmer than shoes.  I just cannot remember seeing such things for boys, mostly you see fashion boots that would work for girls, not boys?  Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

I just did a quick search of Target & Wal-mart and saw little toddler cowboy boots at Wal-mart.  Other then that you are stuck with snow boots, rain boots (no warmth) or hiking (lace up) boots.

• Options
    imageArnegard:
    imageCopperT0p:

I just did a quick search of Target & Wal-mart and saw little toddler cowboy boots at Wal-mart.  Other then that you are stuck with snow boots, rain boots (no warmth) or hiking (lace up) boots.

I'm thinking Walmart will be my best shot.  Target isn't up here yet, they just bought up most of the Zellers stores, and there should be a Target opening up by my house in a few months.  I'm excited, I hope it's as good as I imagine it should be! 

image image

• Options
    I don't worry about temperatures for boots.  But now that we have a few inches of snow on the ground she will be in boots for the rest of the winter.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options

Do you have Payless? They have some toddler boots that aren't snow boots. 

Or maybe something like this:

https://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/Product/00271-1025295/Lugz/Chocolate_Cream_Gum/Kids+Drifter+Fleece+Tod_Pre.aspx 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrsGoodkat:

Do you have Payless? They have some toddler boots that aren't snow boots. 

Or maybe something like this:

https://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/Product/00271-1025295/Lugz/Chocolate_Cream_Gum/Kids+Drifter+Fleece+Tod_Pre.aspx 

Yes, we have Payless.  I hate shopping there for myself, but I guess it might be worth a try for him. 

image image

• Options
    DS wears Uggs during most of the winter, and he wears his protective winter boots when there is snow.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I just checked our Walmart and they don't have any hiking style boots in little sizes (he's an 8).  They only had them in youth sizes.  They also didn't have any thick socks.  It sucked.  I will have to keep on the hunt.
    image image

• Options
    I'm in Canada, I didn't see anything like that at our Walmart.  
    image image

• Options
    Osh kosh had thick, hiking style socks last time I was there. We bought some in the 2-3t size...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I put the kids in winter boots when there is snow on the ground.  So, anything below zero more or less.

eta: try Marks Work Wearhouse or CTC for boots.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    I wear boots all winter, but as a preschool teacher it was a disaster when kids came to school in boots with no backup sneakers.  Kids run around and get on the floor and just...don't play well in boots.  Save them for the snow (or mud and rain), I'd say, regardless of temperature.  I wouldn't mess with super thick socks either because it will make his shoes fit differently.  As long as he's not taking long walks outside in the cold, his feet should be fine in regular socks and sneakers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"