Food Allergy
Options

Intro - food allergy myself

Hi everyone,

My name is Liz and I've been lurking a little on this board just to see if anyone else had experience TTC with a food allergy.  I've been on an elimination/challenge diet for 5 months now working with a naturopath.  Currently I'm not eating gluten, cow dairy, eggs, red meat and peanuts.  We've been TTC for about 6 months.  I know it can take a while to notice the improvements from a gluten free lifestyle so I wasn't sure if anyone had any experience or input in relation to fertility.  My naturopath unexpectedly went out on medical leave so I won't see her until February. She has said my lifestyle of this diet is completely fine to TTC, but I hadn't yet been able to ask if it would affect my fertility (challenging gluten or any other foods I have a reaction to).  She suggested during our quick phone appointment to see a gastroenterologist, but that appointment is 6 weeks out.  Any input would be great!  Thanks in advance!

Jan siggy challenge: Funny/inappropriate snowmen
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
TTC since April 2012
First Urologist appt 1/30

Re: Intro - food allergy myself

• Options

Hello,

I have been gluten free for 4 years now due to Celiac and we had no problem at all conceiving.  So the diet should be good!

• Options

Dietary fat (good fats, of course) is really important to fertility. So the only potential issue I see is not getting enough of that. Of course, it's pretty easy to include nuts, seeds, avocado, coconut, olive oil etc.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi there! I'm a mom who is allergic to all the top 8 allergens (peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, seafood, wheat, eggs, milk, and soy). I also have a severe case of oral allergy syndrome which makes it impossible for me to eat raw fruits and veggies without my lips/tongue/throat itching and swelling.

I got pregnant with my DD the first month we TTC, but my allergies were less then (I could still have wheat, eggs, and milk). When DH and I decided to TTC #2, I was definitely concerned about how my dietary restrictions would affect my fertility, if at all. I started taking vitamins/supplements that I got from Kirkman Labs. They have an entire line of hypoallergenic vitamins including a prenatal vitamin. I used a calorie counting site to look at how much of the DRV I was getting of various nutrients as well as grams of protein and carbs, and tried to balance it all out as best as I could.

It took us 4 months to conceive DS. I don't know if my preparations helped or not.

One thing I DO know is that when I had my DD, I was able to breastfeed her exclusively and even had an oversupply. With my DS, I had a very, very hard time maintaining supply. I think I just wasn't able to bring in enough calories and nutrients that my body needed to keep up. 

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • Options

Thanks for the responses and help :) That's really interesting about the breast feeding differences. That's a great idea to use a site to balance everything.  Though I'm not as restricted as you, I can understand.  I hope that's not a forever diet for you.

I'm most concerned with what happens to your fertility when you eat those food you shouldn't. I've been stupid a couple of times and didn't read everything or I didn't ask the right questions.  Plus I've had to challenge foods a couple of times.  I'll try tracking my foods better and see what happens!  Thanks again:)

TTC since April 2012
  • Options
    imageababymaybe:

Dietary fat (good fats, of course) is really important to fertility. So the only potential issue I see is not getting enough of that. Of course, it's pretty easy to include nuts, seeds, avocado, coconut, olive oil etc.

I definitely need more good fats too... Thanks for the input:)

TTC since April 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"