Multiples
Options

Our Fraternal Mono/di shocker!

All along, we have been told we had identical twins, because there are two in one placenta. Last visit 2 weeks ago, baby b showed the goods, clearly a boy. Baby a( who is 37% smaller and causing a lot of worry) we couldn't see gender, assumed too early but also assumed a boy since we thought identical! Well, today, we had another scan and baby b still a boy, baby a appears to be a girl. The thought is that we have fraternal mono/di twins. We are in shock. Thankfully, Still no signs of ttts other than size difference, but we need to watch them carefully. 

Anyone know anything about this? Not finding Mich on google either.

TIA 

Me:34 PCOS, one kinked tube, low thyroid.
DH:39 lower than average count.
Married 2006. 3 failed IUIs and countless BFNs.
~IVF#1: July 2012~
7/10 Retrieval: 16r, 14f w/ICSI. 7/15 ET: Transfered 2. 4 frosties.< Poas faint+ 4dp5dt.>
Beta#1 (8dp5dt): 138. Beta#2 (10dp5dt): 355.
u/s#1: (19dp5dt) 8/3/12 one sac, two yolks! Beta 8,000
u/s#2: two strong heartbeats! EDD 4/2/12
Boy/girl fraternal mono/di twins-- lost our sweet baby girl at 22 weeks due to SIUGR
Preterm labor at 23 weeks 4 days, lost our sweet baby boy.

Re: Our Fraternal Mono/di shocker!

• Options

My twins have two placentas which fused together so they appear to have one...but I'm not sure that's what you're saying b/c you said they're "in" it. My placentas are fused but the babies are in separate sacs...that should be pretty obvious to the doctors, no? I'm inexperienced in the area of multiples but that seems common sensical...

ETA: I'm really sorry to hear that you have a situation that is worrisome. Best wishes that Baby B picks up on growth soon!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageFML8608:
    My twins have two placentas which fused together so they appear to have one...but I'm not sure that's what you're saying b/c you said they're "in" it. My placentas are fused but the babies are in separate sacs...that should be pretty obvious to the doctors, no? I'm inexperienced in the area of multiples but that seems common sensical...

Im still not exactly sure what happened but I've been having ultrasounds since week 6 and they have only ever seen one placenta. If these babies were same gender, we probably would have thought identical, like we did, up until today.  

Me:34 PCOS, one kinked tube, low thyroid.
    DH:39 lower than average count.
    Married 2006. 3 failed IUIs and countless BFNs.
    ~IVF#1: July 2012~
    7/10 Retrieval: 16r, 14f w/ICSI. 7/15 ET: Transfered 2. 4 frosties.< Poas faint+ 4dp5dt.>
    Beta#1 (8dp5dt): 138. Beta#2 (10dp5dt): 355.
    u/s#1: (19dp5dt) 8/3/12 one sac, two yolks! Beta 8,000
    u/s#2: two strong heartbeats! EDD 4/2/12
    Boy/girl fraternal mono/di twins-- lost our sweet baby girl at 22 weeks due to SIUGR
    Preterm labor at 23 weeks 4 days, lost our sweet baby boy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well at least you know now and aren't figuring it out after they're born Wink. Like I said, mine appear to share a placenta, too but it's actually two. I really hope your sweet Baby B has a growth spurt soon!
  • Options

This happened to me & my di/di did end up with TTTS The donor twin just kept slipping further & further behind as her brother's placenta took over her's. They were the same size at our 18 week appt when we found out the gender. Then slowly moved apart till they were in the 80% & then less the 3% so there was a huge difference. They monitored me closely & I had a c-section as soon as her cord blood flow slowed. She has stopped growing weeks before & was 3.3lbs & her brother was 7.6lbs.

She is catching him now!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Maybe you mean gestational sac? Instead of placenta? I'm 11 weeks and the placenta can only be seen faintly at this point as it has just recently developed. What do I know? Nada. I just hope the best for your babies. 
    TTC #1 2+ Years with Unexplained IF
    1st & Only BFP: 1st IVF w/ ICSI, 3dt of 2 7-cell, grade 2 embryos on 8/25/12
    Beta #1 9/5: 87.2 BFP! - Beta #2 9/7: 248 - 1st US @ 6w3d Two Heartbeats! - MoDi Girls!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    i would wait until you were a bit further along to assume you're having a boy and a girl. at one point, we were having two boys and a girl. :P
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Options

imagepea-kay:
    i would wait until you were a bit further along to assume you're having a boy and a girl. at one point, we were having two boys and a girl. :P

Funny, I don't think I knew that! :)

OP, that's interesting. My di/di twins had two placentas that fused, too. The nurse at delivery said there was one and I recently discovered my placenta pathology report says they are mono/di twins ... but it also says "There are two fused disks" so I think my pathologist was having an off day. ;) 

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    imagemacchiatto:

imagepea-kay:

OP, that's interesting. My di/di twins had two placentas that fused, too. The nurse at delivery said there was one and I recently discovered my placenta pathology report says they are mono/di twins ... but it also says "There are two fused disks" so I think my pathologist was having an off day. ;) 

OP so interesting! I hope that TTTS doesn't become an issue for you guys :/

Macchiatto...I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, but how does one get a hold of their placental pathology? Is it part of the write up the OB does after delivery? For that matter, is that write up that the OB does, something I could see if I asked? I have always wondered about that, since my twin B had distress and my husband and I didn't really understand what was going on at the time...

God gave me a double portion for my inheritance with my little Mighty men :) 9/19/10 Baby A born at 1:47 am 6lbs 14oz, 20.5inches long. Baby B born at 3:20 am 6lbs 6oz, 19.5inches long. My double blessing!:)
  • Options
    imageHisBelovedPrincess:
    imagemacchiatto:

imagepea-kay:

Macchiatto...I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, but how does one get a hold of their placental pathology? Is it part of the write up the OB does after delivery? For that matter, is that write up that the OB does, something I could see if I asked? I have always wondered about that, since my twin B had distress and my husband and I didn't really understand what was going on at the time...

OP - that's crazy but it just might be a little too early to know 100% what the sexes are.  Another possibility I think would be a genetic disorder with one?  Hopefully not that, but I just don't think it's possible for true mono/di to be fraternal.  I think with early u/s it's pretty darn clear when 2 are in the same gestational sac.  My 10 wk u/s is in my bio.  Definitely mono/di.

HisBelovedPrincess:  You have to contact medical records at your hospital to get a copy.  Once you deliver the placenta it is sent to the hospital pathology dept. and they check it and write up  a report. I recently got mine and was pretty disappointed with how brief it was given the issues we had with the placenta.

• Options
    There is a very rare chance of early fusion during the blastocyst stage that allows fraternal babies to develop connected placentas, which could look like one or two placentas on ultrasound. There is also the very rare chance that two sperm fertilize one egg and force division, creating fraternal twins who share one placenta. I started researching it a day or two after PP posted about the doctors confirming TTTS with her fraternals. All that said, they are extremely rare occurances that cannot be confirmed until birth. Mistaken sexes, late fused placentas, and turner syndrome all have higher probabilities.
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options
    imageMrs. Alice:
    imageHisBelovedPrincess:
    imagemacchiatto:

imagepea-kay:

OP - that's crazy but it just might be a little too early to know 100% what the sexes are.  Another possibility I think would be a genetic disorder with one?  Hopefully not that, but I just don't think it's possible for true mono/di to be fraternal.  I think with early u/s it's pretty darn clear when 2 are in the same gestational sac.  My 10 wk u/s is in my bio.  Definitely mono/di.

HisBelovedPrincess:  You have to contact medical records at your hospital to get a copy.  Once you deliver the placenta it is sent to the hospital pathology dept. and they check it and write up  a report. I recently got mine and was pretty disappointed with how brief it was given the issues we had with the placenta.

Thanks Ms.Alice!:)

God gave me a double portion for my inheritance with my little Mighty men :) 9/19/10 Baby A born at 1:47 am 6lbs 14oz, 20.5inches long. Baby B born at 3:20 am 6lbs 6oz, 19.5inches long. My double blessing!:)
  • Options
    I had fraternal b/g twins whose placentas fused, but we could clearly see separate placentas up until the end. In fact, it was never mentioned that they were fused until delivery to I don't know if the MFM even knew, or if he did it wasn't a big deal. I do believe TTTS may have been starting because they had always measured within 1 to 2 oz of each other, but at birth my DD was 8 oz more than my DS and quite chubby, whereas my DS was very scrawny and his umbilical cord was more narrow. The TTTS was not medically confirmed, just my own assumption.
  • Options
    Oh, also, I watched a special on Discovery Health once where supposedly if a fertilized egg has the chromosomes XXY (male with Klinefelter's syndrome) splits into two embryos, one is a chromosomally normal female and one is a chromosomally normal male. Kind of crazy!
  • Options
    It can happen, but less than 1% ever & it's the syndrome that the previous poster above me said.  It's not good...so let's just hope the placenta fused early...which can happen or they couldn't tell sex yet (but I think they can at this far along).  Cannot have healthy boy/girl Mo/Di twins....But miracles do happen:)   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"