Natural Birth
Options

a WWYD re: GBS

I had my GBS swab on Monday and was told it'd take 1-2 days to get the results. When I called on Wednesday, they still were not in so I was told to call back Thursday or Friday. I forgot yesterday and when I just got around to it today, I found out my OB's office closed for the day 2 hours ago and the answering service can't tell me what the results were. I'm really hoping to go into labor this weekend and expecting it any time as I'll be 38w and DD came at 37w but now I'm not sure what I should do since I don't know if I'm (+) or (-). I want to labor as long as possible at home to increase my odds of a natural birth but if I'm GBS+, wouldn't I need to go in early for a round of antibiotics? I don't want to assume I'm (+) and just go to the hospital early but I also don't want to put baby at risk if I do need the antibiotics. I know my doctor is on call this weekend and would be able to call me if I do go into labor but I'm not sure if she'd have access to my results outside of the office and be able to tell me prior to arriving at the hospital... When DD came early, they were able to put a rush on my test results (I had just had the swab that morning) and find out I was (-) but I was a FTM and already at the hospital earlier than I needed to be. So, yeah...not sure what's best this time around. (Kind of feeling like a silly FTM again!) WDYT?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
DD born 5/15/11
DS born 11/12/12

Re: a WWYD re: GBS

• Options

If having the antibiotics is really important to you, I would wait to see if you have risk factors before heading to the hospital early.  If your water breaks early in the labor, maybe you should head in a little earlier to get the antibiotics.  But if you're having intense contractions and your water hasn't broken, you could probably hang out at home a little longer.  Also, if you have a fever, head in to get the drugs.

If having the antibiotics isn't a huge concern of yours, being home might be a better idea, as studies have shown that the more internal exams you have, the more likely you are to transit to GBS to the baby if you actually are positive.  If you're at home, no one is messing around in that area.

I would just assume that you are negative, since the majority of women are.  Labor as you need to at home unless you have the risk factors or are going to be really stressed about it.

• Options

https://www.angelfire.com/ca/gbstrep/homebirth.html

Lots of great stuff on risks, complications, etc. Tough call........I would think that if your OB knew you had a history of early labor and your test came back positive that he would call you. I know my MW would for sure. Just pray you hang on 3 more days!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the info ladies!
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • Options
    Thanks momma! I'll be at a hospital w/ my OB so no water birth for me, plus DH wouldn't go for it. But thanks for all the links. I'm sort of unskilled at finding the good research and, unfortunately for me, hadn't given much thought to GBS until it became more possible that I'd go into labor not knowing my results. I'll have to do some reading when I get tired of nesting in hopes of going into labor Wink
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"