Attachment Parenting
Options

baby led weaning question

DD started showing interest in food by taking some fruit dip I had and smearing it on the table then trying to eat it.  I went out that night and got some oatmeal and have been letting her play with it.  She has been eating a lot of it... I am actually surprised by how much she is getting in her mouth.  I give it to her in a thicker consistency because she can grab it and get it in her mouth.  Today I gave her avocado, which I had originally cut in strips,  but was nervous about choking, so I mashed it. She was still the one putting it in her mouth.  Am I ruining her natural chewing ability if I mash food for the next little while until I get more comfortable with it?  Should I just give bigger pieces?  She is actually quite good at taking globs of it and putting in her mouth and has even tried to use a spoon to do so.  What do you think?!?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: baby led weaning question

• Options
    I think you have to feel comfortable.  If you're nervous you're not going to be able to enjoy the experience and I feel BLW can be quite fun.  BLW is not an all or nothing deal.  You're still giving her the control and I'm pretty certain you aren't ruining anything.  That said, I was super laid back and really never worried about choking.  I never mashed anything but did make sure pieces were appropriate and as easy to handle as possible.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• Options

imagedanienross:
    I think you have to feel comfortable.  If you're nervous you're not going to be able to enjoy the experience and I feel BLW can be quite fun.  BLW is not an all or nothing deal.  You're still giving her the control and I'm pretty certain you aren't ruining anything.  That said, I was super laid back and really never worried about choking.  I never mashed anything but did make sure pieces were appropriate and as easy to handle as possible.

This!
    I think what you're doing is fine. We started DD off with big pieces, but once she got a few teeth she was taking huge bites and not chewing so I started cutting things smaller for her while she got the chewing figured out 

image imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Have you read the book, Baby-Led Weaning? If not, I highly recommend it.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"