Special Needs

Our evaluation

Yesterday was the day. A team of 4 people were the observants (there was no a dev pedi on the team, however, and I was not happy with that). The team consisted of an OTR/L, a speech therapist, an MD, and a PT. First they performed ADOS. The OT said that DS was easily engaged in all the activities, responded to the activities adequatly, quickly, and he did not see anything that suggested autism at all. He said that it was a real joy to spend time with my son. He was really great with the adults there. He interacted with everyone in the room at some point or another. And he also appeared to have fun. However, there were no other kids. And my main concerns were coming from DS not careing to play with other kids. I voiced my concern durring the discussion, and they said that to some kids that comes later. Hmmm...I don't know what to think about that.

After performing ADOS, they did general development assesment. He scored way above the average in problem solving, communication, gross and fine motor skills. They did addressed the zoning out too. Unfortunately, I coudn't make a video of any of those zoning outs, so they asked us many questions regarding that. The MD said that she will recommend seeing a pedi neurologist, but considering they don't happen as often, don't last long, and are easely interrupted, she doesn't think there are serious issues linked to those. 

So, we left the center after spending 5 hours there. DS was exhausted, and so were we, me and DH. Yes, they gave me answers, but I am not 100% satisfied. In the back of my mind, I always think of DS's lack of interests in other kids and also, he has not shown a real empathy yet. He doesn't play with toys in a weird way, but he can spend a long time with just one activity, often. He does make himself clear on what he wants, either with words, or signs, he does share interest often, but he doesn't point with his index finger. He either uses the whole hand, or his tumb. He knows how to get upset when he is not successful in something he is doing, but he can be relatively easely distructed from that, too. So I keep being concerned. Not sure if I should do anything else now, or just wait and see, because noone on the evaluation team thought that DS needs any kind of therapy. At least for now. And at this moment, my gut is not telling me anything. I am not happy, but not upset either. I am really not sure what to think. What would you do?

Thanks to all of you who gave me any advice or a feedback. I truly appreciate it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Our evaluation

• Ask EI if they can have your DS be evaluated by a neuropsychologist. Our eval was free and included with EI. DS is 2 yr 9 mo and just diagnosed with ASD. We have been suspecting it for the past year. The Neuropsychologist performed 3 tests. The ADOS-II and Vineyard were 2 of them.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    I LOVE MY THREE KIDS! :)
    imageimageimage
    Want great discounts?? Want to earn free Scentsy or even earn some extra money??
    Click on the logo and ask me how!
  • image-auntie-:

What does ADOS look like for a child who is still practically a baby? I know it's normed for toddlers, but the bar for typical toddler behaviors is so low at that age I have trouble wrapping my mind around it. Some of the "tasks" in the first module of ADOS are probably beyond many well developing kids (like birthday party) at this age and it's those in the third module that really tease out the social comminication deficits are a couple years off.

Sorry, I am not good of an explainer, but I will try.  I think they told me that they performed ADOS for toddlers. The team of 4 plus me and DH were in a big room. Me and DH were seated further from the rest, and were asked to just be observers. So we were. The OT was taking out series of toys/objects, one by one. They wanted to see how easely DS can be engaged in every activity,  the way he was engaging, was he asking for help, was he sharing the joy/fear/anything. Some of the activities involved: A baloon (blowing it, then letting it go while deflating), a peekaboo toy (turning, pressing, sliding knobs), a remote bunny, snacks, blowing bubbles, plates and spoons. The OT said, that yesterday he did have a real partner in play. Not only DS had fun, but he also made sure that most of the people in the room were involved in the games (he was getting a ball from one person and taking it to another...). Whenever he was successful at something, he was making a joyful sound, and showing the "done" sign. He was a little show off. He was bringing toys to them and asking for more or for help, whatever he wanted/needed. He was making a good eye contact with everyone (this was never my concern though).  He was also initiating play. So I think that was ADOS. Aftter that they did puzzles, wooden hole plugs, finding the second half of a certain object, hiding game. Then they were showing him books, to identify objects. He really did great. He accomplished tasks that they don't expect kids to be able to until they get close to two. 

What is CARS? Is it something that involves other kids? 

• Loading the player...
  • imageCnAmom:

I'm so sorry that you weren't satisfied with your ECEP.  I know that feeling well.  There are a couple of things that stood out to me...

I could have sworn that our ECEP team had a child psychologist on it.  When you say MD was it just a regular pedi?  Also (and this is a big one), when we told them that DS1 had been in a weekly playgroup for 6 months and was just starting to play near the other children, they told us that he was just developing at his own rate.  This later came up as a red flag in an eval we had done for a second opinion.

I also agree that the ADOS is more geared towards kids over 2, and it is difficult to get accurate results for younger children.  If you aren't already in EI, I would definitely look into that.  The initial eval is free and even if you don't qualify for services they can point you in the right direction for your next step (if any). You can also revisit the ADOS later and/or get a second opinion at a time when you might get a clearer picture from it.  There are dev. pedis in NM but their waiting lists are annoyingly long.  you might want to call around and see if you can get that ball rolling sooner rather than later. 

GL!

I was not happy with ECEP because there wasn't a dev pedi on the team and because they couldn't see him how he interacts with other kids. Otherwise, the overall experience was good. 

I was just looking at the paperwork, so yes, there was a child psychologist on the team. The other 3 were an MD, a CCC-SLP and an OTR/L.  We have contacted EI, and in fact we got the ECEP appt through them. They didn't think I whould be concerned, but I pushed for it.  From what I read and hear from yoy guys here, sounds like we should just wait until he is a little older and then address the issue again.

Thank you all for your feedback! 

• Thanks again, Auntie! Very helpful. 

Seems like for any further testing I have to wait until DS gets older. For now just keep observing his behavior.

On a separate note, tomorrow DS is taking his MMR shot. I know there is not a good reason for it, but I am already freaking out.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"