Nurseries and Baby Gear

HELP! Pack N Play Close to the Floor!

LO is currently 11 weeks and 13 lbs.  She sleeps in our room in her PNP - the "bassenette feature" where the board is raised up to the top.  However it says that this feature is only good up to 15 lbs.  She'll probably be at 15 lbs by the time she's 4 months.  I'm not ready t omove her into her crib in her room.  I know I can put her in the bottom of the PNP, but have a few concerns:

The bottom of the PNP is almost at the floor level.  So . . .  

1. So bending over to put her in without waking her up might be tricky.  I still need to support her head.
  2. Bending over to get her when she wakes in the middle of the night might be tricky.  It's not like she'd sit up yet to help me, and I'd still need to support her head.
  3. Being so close to the floor means she'll be closer to the air vents and dog hair (although we do vaccume alot).
  4. Being so close to the flooe means she'll be even further from me.

Any ideas to rasie the bottom of the PNP?  I know they make led extentions for the Arms Reach Co-Sleeper, but it says to only use them when the co-sleeper is attached to the bed.  I've also seen PNP hard matresses things, they are like 2 inches thick.  Not alot, but it might help.

I'll probably move her into her room at 6 months, so its not worth buying another bassenette or a co-sleeper for only 2 months!

HELP!

My Journey to Motherhood
Me 36, DH 42
7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
TTC Since January 2009
Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Girl # 2
TTC Since June 2013
Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
EDD 10/15/16
At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: HELP! Pack N Play Close to the Floor!

• I had a Graco Pack n Play and when DD wouldnt fit in the bassinet feature ours had a net like thing/support to have the bottom elevated... Cant really describe heres a picture: 

https://www.overstock.com/Baby/Graco-Pack-n-Play-Playard-with-Bassinet-in-Pasadena/6575800/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&kw={keyword}&adtype=pla

Hope that helps :) 

Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • imageLinz-E:

I had a Graco Pack n Play and when DD wouldnt fit in the bassinet feature ours had a net like thing/support to have the bottom elevated... Cant really describe heres a picture: 

https://www.overstock.com/Baby/Graco-Pack-n-Play-Playard-with-Bassinet-in-Pasadena/6575800/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&kw={keyword}&adtype=pla

Hope that helps :) 

Yes.  That is the exact same one I have (Pasadena).  That "floating" board is whas DD is on now.  The instructions say that is ony good up to 15 lbs.

Our didn't have a separate "napper" that rests on the top.

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imageEstwd2:
    It's actually not that big of a deal leaning over the PNP. It's way easier than leaning over the crib once the mattress is lowered, trust me. When she's older and heavier and you have to lower the crib mattress, you'll be wishing it was as easy as the PNP.

True . . . but by that point when the crib matress is completly lowered, DD will be able to sit up or stand up and reach for me.  Right now DD is only 11 weeks.  She's not sitting up or reachin up for me, so bending that far down without "her help" is going to be tricky.

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    EDD 10/15/16

Pregnancy Ticker

• I am short so I understand how big of a pain it is to lean over the PNP. Do you have room in your bedroom to bring the crib in? That's what I would do instead of trying to raise the PNP. Plus it will make the transition to her own room that much easier.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If LO only weighs 13 lbs I guess I don't see what the problem is unless you have major back problems...  My kid weighs 34 lbs, his crib mattress is on the lowest setting and I have a big baby belly in the way.  I'm just starting to have a hard time laying him down.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would have thought that being short would be an advantage to getting LO out of a low pack n play?  I find that us tall girls have to bend down so far to get LO in and out! lol!

OP-I would consider moving a crib into your room if using the pack n play at the lower level isn't going to work for you.  I can't imagine it would be safe to try and rig up something to make the mattress higher.  I mean, what if you put something in there and then your LO rolls to the side and falls between the wall of the pack n play and whatever you have used to raise the mattress??  Yikes!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thanks for all the support.  I'm sure I'm making a bigger deal about it than it really is.  I guess I've been spoiled with not having to bend far to put her in the "top rack" of the PNP.  I just look to the "lower rack" and think "holy cow that's far down there!"  As she's only 13 lbs and the "upper rack" it good to 15 lbs, I know I have a couple more weeks before I have to atart bening down to my toes!!!  DH and I better start practicing and doing some stretches!  LOL!

I found this matress topper.  It's only 1.5 inches, but I think it will make the lower level more comfortable for sleeping as DD gets heavier.  Plus its designed to fit the PNP, so that makes me feel safe!

https://www.mamadookids.com/BuyPlayardMattressTopperFoldable.html

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    EDD 10/15/16

Pregnancy Ticker

• I guess I'm sort of confused on why you think it will be such a huge deal to pick her up out of the PNP?

Do you ever lay her on the floor and have to pick her up from there?

What do you think you're going to do when you have her in her crib with the mattress lowered?

I've babysat for years and never once had a problem getting a baby out of a PNP. That's what they're meant for anyways :)

I would definitely be sure to not put the PNP over an air vent or anything and it's not like she is going to be sleeping on dog hair just because she's closer to the floor.

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1. Work now on putting her down awake but drowsy.  Then this won't be a problem.  Trust me, start this NOW. 

2. I turn DS2 to his side as I pick him up.  It's easier to support the head with your hand and arm this way.  He sleeps in a PNP when we visit the ILs and I have to go up on my tiptoes to bend over the side, but it's not so bad, even several times a night.

3.  Air circulation is good.  Just don't set it right on or next to the vent.  A few feet is fine.  The dog hair will not really get through the netting very well.

4. You will get used to it.   It will be fine.

If you plan on still using it for several months, you may want to get the mattress thing just for more comfort anyway.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageToni79:

Thanks for all the support.  I'm sure I'm making a bigger deal about it than it really is.  I guess I've been spoiled with not having to bend far to put her in the "top rack" of the PNP.  I just look to the "lower rack" and think "holy cow that's far down there!"  As she's only 13 lbs and the "upper rack" it good to 15 lbs, I know I have a couple more weeks before I have to atart bening down to my toes!!!  DH and I better start practicing and doing some stretches!  LOL!

I found this matress topper.  It's only 1.5 inches, but I think it will make the lower level more comfortable for sleeping as DD gets heavier.  Plus its designed to fit the PNP, so that makes me feel safe!

https://www.mamadookids.com/BuyPlayardMattressTopperFoldable.html

I would not buy that thing. It is not tested by the pnp manufacturer as being safe. It's not as bad as you think it is. Or you could take this as an opportunity to transfer to crib.  We moved DS to crib in his room at 8 weeks. I was scared first night and slept on floor in his room but after that it was great. He sleeps so well now.  
  • I think you are over thinking this.  It will be fine if you have to "bend over a little more". 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"