Preemies

XP: Anyone use Duocal with their LO?

My DS was a 35 weeker and is now 9 months old.  He was 4 lbs, 10.5 oz at birth and is now nearly 15 lbs.  He received BM until 5 months of age.  At that point, he was diagnosed with milk and soy protein intolerances manifested by weight loss, poor eating, and blood stools.  He's been on Elecare since 5 months of age and is doing ok.  He's not growing super fast but he's on a slow curve of his own. 

At his 9 month visit last week, pedi suggested we start re-introducing dairy to him in the form of solids in order to try and sneak in extra calories.  He had been on the growth chart at the 3rd percentil at 6 months, but fell off the chart again for weight at 9 months.  Not super concerning since he's more active than he was at 6 months. But pedi would like to see him get in more calories.  We already add more formula per bottle to increase his calories that way.  We've been doing that for 3 months now. 

Pedi suggested ice cream, mac 'n cheese, cheese whiz, sour cream, yogurt.  However, his GI doesn't want him to have any dairy until a year old, despite the fact that he recently saw an allergist and tested negative for skin and blood for milk.  And we can't get him to take any more formula than he takes now, which is about 20 oz/day. And he likes solids ok but he's just not a big eater.  And maybe that is just going to be how he is. 

I wanted ask GI about Duocal.  Does anyone have experience with it?  Did you have good results with it?  And how much did you use in a day?  Thanks for any insight!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Anyone use Duocal with their LO?

• We used Duocal for the first 2 weeks and it got him back to his birth weight. He was born at 34 weeks 1 day, 5lbs 5ozs, left the hospital at 35 weeks exact, and weighed 4lbs 9ozs. He went back to the doctor 2 weeks later after duocal in his breastmilk and was 5lbs 4ozs. He is currently 4 months (actual) , and has almost tripled his birth weight at 13lbs 8ozs. I exclusively pump because he never latched while in NICU so now he eats about 5ozs every 3-4 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"