April 2011 Moms
Options

Speech Delay

Hi! I know I haven't posted over here for a while but I know some other mommies may be going through this so I thought I would share here! 

My DS just turned 18 months last week and he isn't saying anything other then the occasional dada and a mama when he is very upset. I talked with our pedi about it at his appointment and she said because he was developing normally physically she thought he was just going to be a late talker. Luckily I insisted on a referral to a speech therapist.

He had his evaluation with the speech therapist today and unfortunately he easily qualified for services. He has a significant speech delay. He will be starting therapy twice a week on Monday. They don't waste any time. As for autism, he doesn't have any of the major indicators but the therapist thinks we need to let him develop some more before we get him officially tested.

I feel like I did something wrong and I failed my child. I am glad we have a plan but I hate that he is so behind when he is so young.

If anyone else is going through this, I would love to hear from you and good luck.  

DS1: 4/15/2011
Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
BFP #2: CP 5/2012
DS2: 4/24/2013
BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Speech Delay

• Options

Don't be too hard on yourself. You did NOT fail your child. When you were concerned that something was wrong you took him in to get evaluated and now have a plan in place going forward.  I'm sure with the speech therapy he will begin to blossom.

My niece was also a late talker. She barely said any words until she was two and then all of a sudden she turned into a little chatterbox. I don't believe that my sister ever took her to a speech therapist, but the rest of us were getting concerned as she got closer to two and wasn't talking.  Now she's almost three and never shuts up   :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You did the right thing! You had a concern and you followed through with evaluation. Now you can work to fix the issue. DD1 didn't really talk until she was three. Now she is a normal (never shutting up) 9 year old. Early intervention is a good thing.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    There is no way your failed your child, stop that thinking right now! You felt there was something not quite right and pushed to have him assessed. Since you did that he's now getting early intervention, and that is his best chance at success. Well done mama, well done.
    Derek - February 2013        Caelyn April 2011
    imageimage

• Options
    Thank you ladies! I really appreciate your kind words and success stories! We are praying so hard he is just a late talker and will be a chatterbox soon!

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"