Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Ergo for infant without insert?

Can the ergo be used for a newborn without the insert? I'm planning on mostly wearing this baby and want her to be comfortable, but also hate extra things that don't get used... My babies have been around 9-10lbs at birth, if that matters. TIA!
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Ergo for infant without insert?

• Options
    You can, if you put a blanket under his/her butt and make sure his/her legs are froggy style.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    DS was almost 9 lbs and I still found the insert useful... just not for very long.  We switched to rolled up blanket pretty quickly but I'm not sure how it would have worked in the very beginning.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Someone pointed out to me that for the price of the insert you can get a Moby or K'tan (or for 1/2 that, buy the fabric and make 2 Mobys) and those are great for when they are still little and especially for around the house.

I have 10+lb babies too, so I was hoping to skip the insert business. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I had the KTan when DD was a tiny baby that worked best.  She was too little for the Ergo without the insert.  We took her on a trip at 8 weeks, she was probably only ~9lbs then, and even with a baby blanket rolled up on the bottom, she was practically hidden from view.  It worked as it gave me a break from carrying her all the time in the KTan on the trip (MH used the Ergo), but not ideal.

The infant insert is also really hot.  With a July baby, we purposely decided against it, in favor of the KTan Breeze which I used hours per day the first 3 months.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback Smile
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    rolled up blankets wouldn't help with the neck and body support... FWIW my boy is almost 4 months and i am still using the insert. i cant still use the ergo without it. he is 80 and 50 percentile for height and weight respectively.u need it until they get proper neck strength.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

There are also options other than the Ergo that don't require inserts, such as the Boba 3G, Beco Gemini, the Babyhawk, Manduca... 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Options
    I went for the Beco Gemni instead, very similar to the Ergo but doesn't need and infant insert and has 4 positions (only one position for infants though).  I got it when ds was about 5-6 weeks old and it worked great.  Be os have great reviews too, originally I was going t o get an Ergo but the beco just had more advantages and positive reviews for a similar price.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"