Food Allergy
Options

Could this be an allergy?

Hi all, my LO will be 8 months on Nov 9th. Several weeks back we started some solids. While he is fond of bananas, and most veggies, he hates meats so we have taken a break and will be trying again in a couple weeks. Anyway, recently, I have noticed that every time he eats carrots, the area around his mouth gets red and his Eczema gets worse. It is usually like this for several hours then goes away. I am uncertain cause the rest of us in our family have no food allergies. At first, we thought it was because of LO rubbing his face on our couch pillows, but now we feel it is from the carrots cause it happened again last night and the pillows were not on the couch. How would I know for sure? Has anyone ever heard of a carrot allergy?

Re: Could this be an allergy?

• Options

You can have an allergy to virtually anything.  It could very well be the carrots causing it.  DS used to have his eczema flare up and his his cheeks turn red after eating tomatoes.  Every time.  Just stay clear of carrots for now.  You can always go in for allergy testing - but to be honest I don't think I would at this point just for carrots - but that's just me.

Good luck!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I have had a ton of food allergies and all my docs say that the majority of eczema cases in babies and toddlers is due to a food allergy or intolerance.  Wait four days after you give DS carrots and see if the problem persists.  That is the amount of time you have to wait for something to fully clear the system.  You should do this type of time rotation with any and all new foods, just makes it easier to pinpoint what might be causing a problem.  Also I had an allergy to raw carrots but not cooked carrots.  There is a natural occuring chemical between skin and actual vegetable.  Same type of thing with apples, etc.  anything with a peel.  Figured you were probably giving DS cooked carrots but thought I would mention it.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The first signs of carrot allergies, however, generally happen a few minutes after eating the food. Upon an allergic reaction, a release of histamine and other chemicals into the blood produces itching, swelling and a fluid migration to the mucous membranes. Patients may experience itching of the lips, tongue, throat and lining of the mouth. The eyes and nose may itch and become watery. Swelling in these areas may create nasal congestion and trouble swallowing and breathing. An itchy, raised, red rash can also develop anywhere on the skin. The Mayo Clinic notes that people who get allergic reactions to birch pollen may get oral allergy symptoms from carrots, celery and related plants during the birch pollination season.https://www.treathemorrhoidsguide.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"