Pittsburgh Babies

Magees?

Hello everyone. I moved to Pittsburgh a year ago with my husband and we just found out we are expecting. I am 5 weeks and have an appointmentnat Magees with doctor Updyke. Anyone have any experiences with Magees or with Dr. Updyke? The lady on the phone was not very helpful when I asked what to expect from the apt just that it would be a half hour?

Re: Magees?

• I didn't deliver at Magee, but I haven't had any good experiences there. I used to go to Magee womancare in Monroeville on Northern Pike. The nurse refused to see me and I ended up m/c  during a job interview then they wouldn't call me back to come in for bloodwork afterwards. I got pregnant again that October and went to Magee for the nuchal screening testing. The u/s lady was nasty. She said I was wasting her time-- I had a missed m/c and that my baby probably died around Thanksgiving (It was 4 days before Christmas) and then told me I had to walk out a different way because they didn't want the women who would have babies seeing me. I delivered my daughter at Mercy. Hopefully Dr. Updyke is nicer than the dr that I used to see. And if you still don't have a good feeling afterwards, I would move on. If the receptionist isn't nice and wouldn't answer your questions they've  already given you a poor first impression.

Good luck & Congrats!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Ooh my god! That sounds awful! Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure where to start and basically Magees was a huge women's hospital so I decided to go there but ive been thinking about gong somewhere else. Idk, it was like the day after I found out and I couldn't tell anyone and I just kind expected her to be nice and congratulate me or something.... And I'm a big believer in customer service.  But now hearing your story I'm defiantly looking elsewhere. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemooreinmay:
    Ooh my god! That sounds awful! Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure where to start and basically Magees was a huge women's hospital so I decided to go there but ive been thinking about gong somewhere else. Idk, it was like the day after I found out and I couldn't tell anyone and I just kind expected her to be nice and congratulate me or something.... And I'm a big believer in customer service.  But now hearing your story I'm defiantly looking elsewhere. 

It was, but I found a really nice practice that were very supportive of DH & I and our respective IF issues. I'm not opposed to driving further from home to get quality care. Where do you live? We live in Penn hills, but my dr is in Greentree. They were much nicer at Mercy than Magee.

• My husband works as a paramedic and is in many hospitals.  He described Magee as a baby making factory, they get you in and then ship you out.  He wants me to deliver at St. Clair or West Penn. Since St. Clair is closer to us, we are choosing to deliver there.
  • We live in the North hills and I think we may end up switching to somewhere closer to home. Especially because this is my first I dont want to be unsure. I want to find somewhere that will take care of us. We are going to look into Mercy as well I think. 

Thank you for your insight. We haven't told anyone yet, and we are waiting until we get the all clear from a doctor so this has been a little tough. If you think of anything else that could be helpful please let me know!! Haha I just have my DH to talk to right now. 

• mrshatcher519, I havent looked at St. Clair. or West Penn. I will check them out, Thank You. Have you done a tour or anything of the Hospitals? When are you due?
  • Magee is very well-known as a baby factory, but that's because EVERYONE wants to deliver there.  They are the best!

And that whole in and out thing?   That's called insurance.   You get NO MORE TIME at any other hospital than at Magee.  

Do your research and see the results for yourself.   People from all over the country travel to Magee to deliver.   It's that good.   Sure -- if you have a "normal" birth, than I'm sure any hospital will "do", but why not go to the best and have the best doctors on hand in case something would happen?  

I have friends that had to go to West Penn because of their insurance and cried about it.   They know how much better Magee is than anywhere else.

Magee is ranked #5 in the country!!  Why would you go anywhere else?

https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/gynecology

• I live in Cranberry Twp and will deliver at St Clair (and have in the past).  My Dr's are out of there- Zubritsky and Christie.  I used to live closer to them, but I've since moved and the fact that I love them as my dr's and that there are only two is the reason I'm willing to drive to see them!  Pick dr's that work for you and that you can trust. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did not deliver at Magee, but I was under the care of the pre-natal geneticists, as well as having a few other things done there.  I have nothing but good things to say about all of my experiences. 
    Married 08.19.06 ~ DS 9.30.11 ~ Baby #2 EDD 11.28.18

• image*~Krystin1119~*:

imagemooreinmay:
    Ooh my god! That sounds awful! Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure where to start and basically Magees was a huge women's hospital so I decided to go there but ive been thinking about gong somewhere else. Idk, it was like the day after I found out and I couldn't tell anyone and I just kind expected her to be nice and congratulate me or something.... And I'm a big believer in customer service.  But now hearing your story I'm defiantly looking elsewhere. 

It was, but I found a really nice practice that were very supportive of DH & I and our respective IF issues. I'm not opposed to driving further from home to get quality care. Where do you live? We live in Penn hills, but my dr is in Greentree. They were much nicer at Mercy than Magee.

Thanks Krystin!  This is comforting as I really like my Greentree group.  They also deliver at Mercy instead of Magee.  I guess I just always imagined doing this at Magee (both DH and I were both Magee babies), but from what I've been told by family, friends, and co-workers Mercy has all the same resources as Magee just on a more intimate level, less baby factory feel.  I will say that DH and I were very impressed with the tour of Magee (it was part of our Lamaze class) so I don't think I would mind delivering there.  At least we walked away knowing what questions to ask when we tour Mercy.

my hero wears kevlar Pictures, Images and Photos

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagelizshort96:
    image*~Krystin1119~*:

imagemooreinmay:

Thanks Krystin!  This is comforting as I really like my Greentree group.  They also deliver at Mercy instead of Magee.  I guess I just always imagined doing this at Magee (both DH and I were both Magee babies), but from what I've been told by family, friends, and co-workers Mercy has all the same resources as Magee just on a more intimate level, less baby factory feel.  I will say that DH and I were very impressed with the tour of Magee (it was part of our Lamaze class) so I don't think I would mind delivering there.  At least we walked away knowing what questions to ask when we tour Mercy.

You're very welcome Liz! What group do you go to? I was surprised when I learned mine didn't deliver at Magee. I thought UPMC only delivered babies at Magee, but we were pleasantly surprised at how wonderful the staff treated us. We didn't know anyone who had delivered there so we were more than happy to tell my cousin who delivered there 2 months after we did how nice it was. We didn't take any classes at Magee, we did them all at Mercy. We enjoyed what little of the tour we were able to attend ( I was trying to get over the stomach flu and ended up passing out. Ironically, I ended up staying in the room I passed out in front of).

• I see Magee Womancare at N Hills Passavant. They've always been great. I also had my 1st trimester screen done at Magee and everyone was very professional and nice. I will be delivering there in March.
  • I just left a Magee practice because I felt like a number and I wanted a natural birth. I am going to the Midwife Center for Birth in the Strip. The backup hospital is Mercy. I toured both Mercy and Magee, and I felt like even tho Mercy is smaller, I was more comfortable there. 

Also, Hi Krystin. 

“On the Road that I have taken, one day walking I awaken, amazed to see where I've come, where I'm going, where I'm from.” ― Dean Koontz, The Book Of Counted Sorrows

Baby Ansan 1-21-13
    Stephanie 5-23-97
    3rd baby due 5-5-14
  • imageY I Oughta:

I just left a Magee practice because I felt like a number and I wanted a natural birth. I am going to the Midwife Center for Birth in the Strip. The backup hospital is Mercy. I toured both Mercy and Magee, and I felt like even tho Mercy is smaller, I was more comfortable there. 

Also, Hi Krystin. 

Hi Mandi. Can't believe your little guy will be here soon. 

My godsister went there when she had her son last year. She really enjoyed the overall experience of the Midwife center as opposed to Magee. Mercy is smaller, but that's what makes it such a nice place. You're not a number, you're a person.  

• My cousin recently had twins via csection there in august.. She was not numb at all and had to endure the whole procedure with no sort of meds and was not put out... The doctor never tested her to make sure the medicine was taking effect... not going back to them...
  • Dr. Updike is amazing. No complaints with his office staff. He performed an emergency c/s on me in 2011, and he, and the LD staff saved my son's life. I will have a repeat c/s in January. I love Magee.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Congrat's on your pregnancy! I delivered DS w/ the midwives at Magee. I started out at one of the Womencare facilities and didn't have the warm and fuzzy experience that I expected, so switched to the midwives around 27 weeks. My labor and delivery experience was awesome. My post-partum time...also awesome!

18 months later I found myself expecting twins. Went through the midwives again, was actually delivered via c-section by dr. crosure (mispelled I'm sure) other than my insane vomitting from a reaction to the anestesia the surgery was a dream, staff was awesome... and once again had a mostly awesome post partum time. I did have one slightly ditzy nurse lol I had monthly u/s at magee starting at 20 weeks for other reasons for both pregnancies. I had not so great techs and amazing techs... I had techs that were awesome at one visit and were awful at the next. It just depended on their day. 

If I were planning a third pregnancy i would def. go back to magee. 

• My doctor is Dr. Updike - I've only seen him twice so far, but he has been nothing but comforting and professional for this first-time mom and dad! I don't have much choice but to deliver at a UPMC hospital since I am a UPMC employee and have their insurance - I was considering Mercy and Passavant as well - but I am so glad I chose Magee.
  • I am so sad that I am moving 700 miles away and won't actually deliver at Magee with the Midwives.  I absolutely LOVE that practice.  The facility is gorgeous.

Basically, what I hear about Magee falls into two categories: the people that have been to the Midwives generally love it, and then I get mixed reviews from the people that go to a regular OB there.  The Midwives are absolutely wonderful.  I think we've met all of them at this point, and they have a great philosophy and wonderful bedside manner.  I have nothing but wonderful things to say about my experience with them.

The ultrasound department had some hideously long waits, but staff were kind and helpful.  During my anatomy scan, I met one of the regular OBs, whom they called in to reassure me when the baby was too active to get some of the pictures we needed (I go back soon to get those).  He was charming, but definitely a different tone from the midwives.

The folks I have spoken with in Maternal Fetal Medicine have generally had a pretty condescending tone and spoke to me the way one might scold a child.  Did not appreciate.

Overall, I love love love it there, but I would stick with the Midwives.  Most practices still treat pregnant women like we are emotional and stupid.  I prefer a medical office that talks to me like a rational human being who is capable of being informed and empowered.  That's exactly what the midwives are about.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"