Virginia Babies
Options

Possible relocate from Bangor, WA

Hi ladies!  We've reenlisted recently and found out our #1 choice of HI and #2 of SD have been overrode by our #3 choice, Virginia.  :) It feels good though.  I only know a bit about the area....long sandy beaches mostly...and SUN!  We don't get enough here for this Nevada native.

We have an 11 month old baby boy.  We'd be headed your way early Spring if all goes as planned.  Can you fill me in?  What's the area like? Weather? Traffic? Child friendly?  I'm a small town girl and hoping to be in Virginia Beach, not the big city area. 

Thanks so much!

Melissa 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Possible relocate from Bangor, WA

• Options

Hi Melissa,

I live in Virginia and my husband is stationed in Virginia Beach! We LOVE the area (especially compared to Minnesota - the weather is SO nice, 80 degrees today!). The traffic can be awful if you aren't careful. There are bridges and tunnels that get really backed up at rush hour, so its pretty important to make sure you live and work on the same side of them to avoid it! There's lots to do and see with the beaches, Williamsburg, Jamestown, Busch Gardens, etc all within driving distance. I hope you guys love it as much as we do!!

- Kaytlin 

• Options
    imageKaytlin513:

Hi Melissa,

I live in Virginia and my husband is stationed in Virginia Beach! We LOVE the area (especially compared to Minnesota - the weather is SO nice, 80 degrees today!). The traffic can be awful if you aren't careful. There are bridges and tunnels that get really backed up at rush hour, so its pretty important to make sure you live and work on the same side of them to avoid it! There's lots to do and see with the beaches, Williamsburg, Jamestown, Busch Gardens, etc all within driving distance. I hope you guys love it as much as we do!!

- Kaytlin 

Thanks Kaytlin!  Your message is comforting here.  We are both small town people and are honestly scared of Norfolk and it's size.  We're trying to find an area to live in based off a map.  It's not very comforting.  We should headed for Virginia in Mar/Apr.  What Navy base is in Virginia Beach?  I think we may be stationed in the Newport News area.  We thought about living in Virginia Beach but are still researching.  Thanks again for the tips!  I would LOVE that weather.  We were concerned with Hurricane Sandy recently.  Were you affected at all?  Thanks, Melissa 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    There are two naval bases in Virginia Beach (Oceana and Dam Neck), and my husband is at the Dam Neck training center as an instructor. We live in Newport News though (and he has an awful commute because of it- poor guy!) but we really like Newport News and have a lot of friends here because its where we were stationed first. If you're looking for very small-town, you could look into Suffolk/Smithfield - it's not too far and a really sweet and small community! Hurricane Sandy wasn't too bad here at all. Unless you move into a flood zone (like living on the water) it was just some strong winds and heavy rain, we didn't even lose power and only had a couple friends who did. Thank goodness the worst of it hit further North! We're praying everyone there is recovering quickly, and we are just incredibly thankful that it pretty-much missed us! Feel free to message me personally if you think of any specific questions you have about the area - we know how it is moving around because we've done it a lot!
  • Options
    imageKaytlin513:
    There are two naval bases in Virginia Beach (Oceana and Dam Neck), and my husband is at the Dam Neck training center as an instructor. We live in Newport News though (and he has an awful commute because of it- poor guy!) but we really like Newport News and have a lot of friends here because its where we were stationed first. If you're looking for very small-town, you could look into Suffolk/Smithfield - it's not too far and a really sweet and small community! Hurricane Sandy wasn't too bad here at all. Unless you move into a flood zone (like living on the water) it was just some strong winds and heavy rain, we didn't even lose power and only had a couple friends who did. Thank goodness the worst of it hit further North! We're praying everyone there is recovering quickly, and we are just incredibly thankful that it pretty-much missed us! Feel free to message me personally if you think of any specific questions you have about the area - we know how it is moving around because we've done it a lot!
    Thanks so much Kaytlin.  I tried messaging you but didn't see that option on your profile?  I'm not too familiar with this site yet so maybe I'm missing it.  If you get a moment, do you mind messaging me and I'll respond back?  We'll be stationed in Newport News and my hubby will be at the shipyard helping to build the new sub.  We'll be there in April, it's coming up quick!  We'd like to live in Williamsburg and would love to chat more as I have a few specific questions if you get time to message me. :) thanks, Melissa
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"