Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Anyone remember my post on Friday about my DD's cold?

Well...got the call from the Pediatricians office yesterday. Her test came back positive for Pertussis!!!! Now me, DD, DS, and DH (along w/ the family of a little boy i babysit) are all being treated!! I was one of those people who thought the CDC was making something out of nothing with the whole "whooping cough will be on the rise this season"...guess i was WAY wrong! the worst part about it, i was not informed as well as i shoulda been as a mom. and i basically just wanted to spread the word, because if i didnt know, maybe there are other moms who didnt know either. I did NOT KNOW that a child can have pertussis even if they've had the shot (she was due for the final shot in series at her next yr annual. they get 5shots between ages 6months-5yrs) and many people/kids who have pertussis never experience the whooping symptom and some never even cough!!!! well my daughter was one of these people, she a nasty chest cough, but she seemed fine other than a very occasional cough. her cough never had a barking or whooping sound to it and she never seemed to have trouble breathing or running around or just being a typical kid. never had a fever, never had anything out of the norm of just your standard cold your kid brings home from school. i never in a millions years thought it was pertussis. i thought maybe strep or a sinus infection. I just want to inform and pass along this info, bc i was clueless that she had it!! here is a link to the CDC website with FAQ's about the symptoms and treatments. https://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/about/faqs.html
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Anyone remember my post on Friday about my DD's cold?

• Options
    My friend's family just went through it as well.  Her 3 year old came down with it and the same thing as your LO, no real signs other than a cough that would keep her up at night, but nothing during the day and no "whooping" to her cough.  All of her kids have been vaccinated and they're older - 9 and 6.  Her entire family had to be treated for it as well.  She had called me to let me know that it was going on as we had spent all day with them on Sunday (about 3 weeks ago) and she wanted to give us a heads up.  DD#2 had come down with a cough last Saturday, so I was afraid we were about to go through it, but I think it was a slight cough caused by her flu shot as it seems to have gone away.  Its no joke and I have heard of other cases more recently - that was just the closest to us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageElatedMom2B:
    My friend's family just went through it as well.  Her 3 year old came down with it and the same thing as your LO, no real signs other than a cough that would keep her up at night, but nothing during the day and no "whooping" to her cough.  All of her kids have been vaccinated and they're older - 9 and 6.  Her entire family had to be treated for it as well.  She had called me to let me know that it was going on as we had spent all day with them on Sunday (about 3 weeks ago) and she wanted to give us a heads up.  DD#2 had come down with a cough last Saturday, so I was afraid we were about to go through it, but I think it was a slight cough caused by her flu shot as it seems to have gone away.  Its no joke and I have heard of other cases more recently - that was just the closest to us.

thats crazy!!!! I cant believe how many people are getting it...it is deffinitely scary. but as someone pointed out to me, now my body has natural antibodies built up to it to not only protect me, but (and theres varying studies done on this) also that i will pass on to baby!  I will also be getting my Tdap shot in my next ob visit to be double-protected. Oh and i just have to tell you...your girls are SOOOO beautiful. i love your siggy :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    First of all, I am so sorry about your DD.  I did want to say thank you for posting this!  DD has had a cough since the first week of August.  She has been on different antibiotics, inhalers, and oral steroids with no help.  We are now going to an allergist to look at it being the possibility of asthma and an ENT because an x-ray is showing enlarged adenoids.  However, before we go through even more testing, I will request a pertussis test.  My dd has a lot of the same symptoms as yours. 
    DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"