Attachment Parenting

Sun protection and babywearing?

Hi. How do you all babywearers keep your LO's protected from the sun? I'm obsessed with keeping my 3.5 month old out of direct sunlight (I've had skin cancer). I have an Ergo carrier with the hood, which I use but then he can't see, which then makes him mad. I have a wide brimmed hat but its hard to keep it on him and also obstructs his view. I think I just need to find the right kind of hat for him. I'd love to carry him more but I'm having a tough time figuring out the sun thing so we end up just putting him in the stroller since it has a sun shade.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sun protection and babywearing?

• Our ped also ok'd sunscreen early as well.  She said part of the reason parents are told "no sunscreen before 6 months" is that they don't want parents to rely on sunscreen for their babies the same way we rely on it for ourselves (i.e., putting on a thin layer and assuming this will provide protection all day).  But, as another layer of protection, it's not harmful.

I checked ewg.org/skindeep to find sunscreens with the lowest toxicity/carcinogen/allergen ratings (shockingly, many "baby" sunscreens score poorly b/c they have so many fragrances in them).  We used California Baby in the tube.  

Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I always used a floppy hat (mostly, I also had a solar veil monkey pocket that I used some but more when E was sleeping).  I don't think a hat blocks a view any more than a stroller sun shade would?  I think it's more a matter of finding one they can't pull off and just having them get used to it.

To be honest though, this time of year I don't worry about it at all unless we are going to be out for long periods of time.  Some sun exposure is good (Vit. D).  Although I understand your concerns given your history. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"