Attachment Parenting

I know it's been asked (Ergo ?)...

But please tell me if they are worth the expense...

DH said, "another one??" when I mentioned wanting to try it. I have a Bjorn, but LO will only sit in it forward-facing, and not only have I read that it isn't great for his hips, but it also hurts my back! I also have a Mei Tai carrier that was given to me, but it hurts my shoulders, and I am not brave enough to try getting LO into it for back carry. I have enough trouble getting him high enough on my front. I also don't know what kind it is. It was used by the mom who gave it to me, and there aren't any tags/ identification symbols...

Plus, I have two ring slings, one from etsy and the other from a consignment store. I do not feel like I can get LO secure and safe in either one, and I follow the online instructions very carefully. He dislikes them too, and arches his back and fusses. I'm afraid he'll fall out! They seem to be fine for standing around, of I could get him into one, but perhaps not the best for an active lifestyle? 

So, should I invest in an Ergo? If yes, which one? Is the performance better than the original? I wish that I could try it on before buying, but they seem to be online order only...and if I do convince DH that this is $$ worth spending, I'll go post some of my other carriers on Craigslist. :P

I love to walk, and I would really like to carry LO on my back, especially since he'll be 1 next week, and he loves to look around at things when we go out.

Thanks, ladies!  

imageimage

Re: I know it's been asked (Ergo ?)...

• BRU usually has ones you can try on. As far as being worth it- absolutely. I was so mad about the other carriers I bought before giving in to the ergo which both LO and I love. I got mine at target- don't know which version it is, but it was the best purchase ever. 
  • You are going to feel a world of difference if you are carrying an almost 1 year old FF in a bjorn!  I would actually suggest going with something a little larger bodied for a one year old - the Ergo is pretty small bodied and while it will work fine, if your kid likes to lean at all it will be less comfortable than it could be.  The Boba and Babyhawk oh snap and Action Baby Carrier toddler are easy to find larger bodied carriers.  The Kinderpack, Tula, and Olives and Applesauce are also worth a look.

You might see if you have a babywearing group near you so you could try some things on.

As for the ring sling - maybe post a picture of you wearing it and we could help you tweak.  I still love mine for quick trips although if I'm going to be walking or wearing for a while, I go with something two shouldered. 

• Loading the player...
  • I absolutely would try it.  I have  a sleepy wrap, a ring sling, a mei tai, and an ergo- bought in that order.  After wearing the ergo for a little while, I told DH that if I had gotten the ergo second, I woulnd't have bought the ring sling or mei tai, just because it's so comfy.  (I am glad I got the mei tai because it's awesome, but not really into the ring sling)
    Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I love the ergo! I like how it supports at the waist like a hiking backpack so there is less strain on the shoulders.
  • DH and I both LOVE the Ergo.  DH took DS for walks every morning with the dog and carried him in a Jeep front carrier.  It worked pretty good, but I couldn't use it becuase it hurt my back.  We got the Ergo and it made a HUGE difference.  We still take it with us on trips eventhough DS is almost 3.  I can't wait to use it with our next LO.
    image pregnancy calendar Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagencbelle:

You are going to feel a world of difference if you are carrying an almost 1 year old FF in a bjorn!  I would actually suggest going with something a little larger bodied for a one year old - the Ergo is pretty small bodied and while it will work fine, if your kid likes to lean at all it will be less comfortable than it could be.  The Boba and Babyhawk oh snap and Action Baby Carrier toddler are easy to find larger bodied carriers.  The Kinderpack, Tula, and Olives and Applesauce are also worth a look.

You might see if you have a babywearing group near you so you could try some things on.

As for the ring sling - maybe post a picture of you wearing it and we could help you tweak.  I still love mine for quick trips although if I'm going to be walking or wearing for a while, I go with something two shouldered. 

I will check out those other carriers too. Thanks!

He does get really heavy in the Bjorn after a few minutes, but my guy is pretty small. He's less than 20lbs...has measured under 10th percentile for his age since before he was born (I was actually induced at 37 weeks because of concern over his size). Otherwise a completely healthy baby. My pediatrician thinks he'll "catch up" over the next few years. Might his size make the Ergo a good choice, or would you still look at the bigger ones?

How do I find a baby-wearing group? I just moved to northern VA from NC, and I missed the local LLL group meeting for October...don't really know anyone yet to ask. Thanks!

imageimage
  • You should absolutely consider a soft structured carrier, but it doesn't have to be an Ergo!

I have a boba and love it. Check with your local babywearing group. That's where I got mine for $50!

• If you just moved to NoVa, you are in luck! We have a thriving babywearing community and our carrier libraries are loaded with goodies. Here is our blog: https://beltwaybabywearers.blogspot.com/.  Meetings are listed on the side. There is one this Friday in Burke. You are welcome to try out any of the carriers during the meeting for free. If you would like to check a carrier out for a month to decide if it is really the right one for you, you do have to be a member of the group, but that is just it a small fee of  $30 per year. 

• I absolutely love my Ergo!  I think it's worth it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagepixieprincss:

If you just moved to NoVa, you are in luck! We have a thriving babywearing community and our carrier libraries are loaded with goodies. Here is our blog: https://beltwaybabywearers.blogspot.com/.  Meetings are listed on the side. There is one this Friday in Burke. You are welcome to try out any of the carriers during the meeting for free. If you would like to check a carrier out for a month to decide if it is really the right one for you, you do have to be a member of the group, but that is just it a small fee of  $30 per year. 

Thank you so much! I can't make it to the Burke meeting, so I'll try for Tyson's or Centreville. How exciting! I can't wait to get to know some like-minded moms near me. :) 

imageimage
  • Yes, worth every penny! I have the Boba 3g and LOVE it! I carry my little giant in it all the time with no back pain. A great feature of carriers like this and the Ergo is the way the weight is distributed mostly on your hips. And it creates a little seat for the baby so they are comfortable too. I went with the Boba 3g over the Ergo because it has a higher back on it. A friend of mine has an Ergo and says her daughter likes to lean back and she has to lean forward sometimes to counteract it. My son does that too, but the only way he's going anywhere is if I'm sitting down with it and he can push off the chair. Especially when they are a little older like yours, the back carry is really not as hard as it seems. I might be a little more nervous with a younger baby, but I'm sure it would be fine. We got his around 5 months and still going strong. I even put my 4 year old nephew in it and it was still comfortable! 

I used this chart to make my decision. If you have a natural baby store around they should have different ones to try on:

• Go to Ergo's web page and they have a list of retailers in your area you can try one there. Or target just started selling them. But YES they are worth it...in my opinion. I love ours I use it while grocery shopping, when were out and about and anywhere else. LO LOVES it! She liked the moby alright I just didnt like the lack of structure to it. I carried her for three hours straight at the pumpkin patch and felt great! 
  • I just gave in and bought an Ergo today thru Amazon. Hip2save. com had a link earlier this morning to the Cranberry color on sale for $80 and free returns. I figured it's worth a try.
  • What about selling the ring slings/mei tei to justify buying a better carrier?

I say yes to the ergo.I have the sport model and really like it. The material isn't too heavy and it's comfy for my DH who is really tall and broad shouldered. I can still wear my nearly 3 year old, 33lb toddler comfy on my back. You will definitely get use out of it for some time to come.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKC_13:

What about selling the ring slings/mei tei to justify buying a better carrier?

I say yes to the ergo.I have the sport model and really like it. The material isn't too heavy and it's comfy for my DH who is really tall and broad shouldered. I can still wear my nearly 3 year old, 33lb toddler comfy on my back. You will definitely get use out of it for some time to come.

That's actually what DH suggested! I think I'll post my 2 slings, the Bjorn, and the Moby on Craigslist. If I can find buyers, that will leave me with the Mei Tai until I can get an Ergo or something like it. :) 

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"