3rd Trimester
Options

What exactly is the deal with frozen maxi pads & mesh panties?

Im a FTM and I have seen on this board several times posts abt the mesh panties from the hospital, perinatal bottles, witch hazel, tucks pads and all of that fun stuff but I am not clear abt what exactly you use these things for.... I would imagine a frozen maxi pad is not to absorb the bleeding so what the heck are they used for???

And while I'll appreciate your honesty and candor please be gentle with your responses - I already think that childbirth is exactly how they portrayed it in the last Twilight movie :-)

Re: What exactly is the deal with frozen maxi pads & mesh panties?

• Options
    I would imagine they feel nice on the swollen and sore lady bits. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You push a 7-ish pound baby out of a 10cm opening, and there is some damage done... even if you don't tear. Frozen pads (or diapers with ice in them, as I get when I'm in the hospital), and witch hazel, and all that jazz, help sooth the tender area. The hospital provides lovely and attractive (<-- that was sarcasm there) mesh panties that are good for holding the pad to collect the blood/fluid discharge after birth while you don't have to worry about if the pad leaks. (Maybe not all hospitals provide this? I don't know... mine does) I only sit on the ice-pack-diaper for the few days I'm in the hospital, and I don't use witch hazel or anything else once I get home... and I've had a 2nd degree tear with my two previous births, so I'm expecting a tear again; I didn't feel the tear happen, because I was pushing a baby out and not paying attention, and I was stitched up right after I delivered the placenta, and the stitches dissolved after a few days and all was well, so don't worry about that. I don't know a pain comparison between not tearing and tearing because, as I said, I've tore with both my previous deliveries. I didn't have any pain meds during labor either, but the hospital provides some pain pills after (like tylenol and ibproufin) and I did also take those while in the hospital.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Swollen and sore, and possibly tore & stitched if you had an episiotomy... I had an episiotomy 4 with DS1, which is the worse one, with tons of lovely stitches inside & out.  The ice packs and preparation h pads were a lifesaver!  They will give you some of these in the hospital, but I've been hearing about the frozen maxis and wish I would have known about them 5 yrs ago!
  • Options
    ftm here too...that stuff is all to help your stretched and possibly torn/cut perineum heal. At the very least you're going to be pretty sore down there, but I'm guessing you could probably have guessed that. You're also going to have periodlike bleeding for several weeks after...so you'll need pads for that since you won't want to put anything inside while you heal.

And if the Twilight birth is really what you have to go on, I recommend searching 'peaceful birth' or something like that on YouTube. Some of those videos are really beautiful and not scary at all and might put you at ease. It certainly helps for me.
    11/27/12
    First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
    Twins born into Heaven 
    BFP - 4/6/14, due date 12/8/14. First twin M/C at home - 5/5/14, Second twin D&C - 6/5/14

11/14
    Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15
    Second after severe bleeding for 18 weeks due to subchorionic hematoma

Currently
    Expecting Number 3 due 10/31/2020
  • Options
    I had a c-section, so I didn't need the witch hazel and all, but the mesh panties were a godsend. Take every pair they have.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I hate to say, but you'll see. The soreness may last for a couple weeks or so. Also if you have hard-seated dining room chairs, invest in a cushion for yourself.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

The mesh panties are gauzy-like and the ice pads are the greatest thing ever invented since the epidural.

I used the witch hazel pads to clean my stitches (tore and a 3rd degree episiotomy) but they bunched up if I just put clean ones on the pad when I changed it and it was uncomfortable.

I never used the sitz bath they gave me but I used ice water in the squeeze bottle every time I peed for the first 6 weeks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I've heard so many great recommendations from STM's on the mesh panties and the frozen pads with witchhazel in them...are these the same as Tucks pads for hemorrhoids? Or do you really have to make your own?

There were two other things STM's have told me about...I think it was Dermoplast Spray and some peri bottles.  

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    They will give you demoplast spray and peri bottles at the hospital (which are also good for boys if they are getting a circumcision).  Yes, hemorrhoid pads, I thought the Tucks & preparation h pads were the best at soothing... I did not attempt to make my own with witch hazel.  I was so tired, frustrated with nursing and sore from the episiotomy that I did not want any extra work to do. 
  • Options

Oh my frozen maxi pads are amazing in recovery! I tore and needed 2 stitches with DD and the cold was great. mesh panties got old after a while but they hold the ice packs better than regular undies, in my experience. The squirt bottle is just to help clean the lady bits after going to the bathroom. 

Think happy thoughts :) 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think PPs pretty much covered it....but honestly, no matter what I read before I had my first baby, I never would have imagined just how much damage pushing a baby out really does (granted, I had some very bad tearing that not everyone has, and developed a hematoma which is rare but hurt more than childbirth).  I remember crying the first time I took a shower at the hospital and realized what kind of shape I was in!

The only thing I never really used was the peri bottle although most moms love it. Other than that I had a huge setup of enormous pads and Tucks in between my legs for days and days and couldn't manage without it. I also wondered what was so great about mesh underwear before I had him...yet left the hospital loaded down with them and was sad when I ran out lol.

I found postpartum recovery to be messy and scary....but it's worse for some than others, and you get through it!

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options

Here is the clinical breakdown for you:

You get mesh panties because they stretch to hold the pads and icepacks, and you can throw them away because they do get blood/afterbirth yuck on them.

The giant maxi pads absorb and act as an icepack.  You break it in several places and place in your mesh undies.  This helps with absorption and feels good on your sore vagina.

The tucks pads and witch hazel help with itching from tearing/stitches and hemorhoids (sp?).  I also dab all of that with hydrocortizone cream for faster healing and fighting infection.

You use the squirt bottle of warm water to clean the area after you use the bathroom since you really don't want to be wiping.  I squirt water on while I"m peeing for the first few days so it doesn't burn. 

You stack it like a lasagna.  Panty, pad, witch hazel tucks pad, hydrocortizone, ahhh relief : )

I recommend getting all of these supplies except mesh undies for home use as well.  Take what you can from the hospital, but I liked having supplies in all of our bathrooms.

I know this part is hard to understand until you do it, but I hope I explained it well.  It is usually one of those things people don't give you tons of info on.  Good luck with your delivery!!

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was in the same boat as you until I gave birth and then it all came so clear.  DOn't worry if you don't have it all figured out before going in to the hospital.  They will provide it all for you and explain how to use it.  The ice pads give you awesome relief for the first couple of days after delivery.  I found I had such a crazy tear that I had to use the perineal bottle for a couple of weeks.  Basically you spray it at your tear while you urinate and it prevents the urine from making the tear burn.  The mesh underwear is so comfortable!  DD and I were flown to another hospital after she was born and I wore them under yoga pants and they were great. I wore the giant hospital pads in them for the first few days until the bleeding slowed down and didn't have to worry about leaking at all.  I know I hated when people said this to me before giving birth, but it will all become clear when you are going through it!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Because of the epi, I didn't feel any of this, but apparantly, pushing for many hours (most people don't) can really make you swell down there. Like freakishly huge - according to my Dh. I never wanted to look. I tore the 2nd time and the 1st I had an episiotomy, so I have always left the hospital with some form of stitches. This can be highly uncomfortable and painful after for a couple of weeks while you heal. All of the cool packs and hot peri bottles and sitz baths help to relieve the soreness, swelling, and provide some relief. I would stock up on large pads, panties that can get ruined when you run out of the mesh ones, tucks, and I loved having a donut pillow to sit on for all of the hard chairs in your house....or car.......or too soft of seating. I think I sat on a donut pillow for a few weeks. The hospitals have those too. Don't worry, if you get stitches then they also stock you up with a prescription for pain meds to take home. You do have to heal from birth, but its more of pretty uncomfortable than curl up in a ball type pain. It gets better with each day.
  • Options

This is a subject that you hardly hear about before your first baby.  Sadly.  Because it is important!

I think the other ladies broke it down very well.  I just wanted to say that I wish I'd known a little more about recovery AFTER baby before my first one, because it surprised the ish outta me!

FuzziBunz at Nurtured Family Bravado Bras at NurturedFamily.com Maya Wrap Baby Slings at Nurtured Family
  • Options
    What type of maxi pads are best to purchase in advance? 
    Anniversary

\

• Options

imageAlexandra0223:
    What type of maxi pads are best to purchase in advance? 

You should get some of the big boat ones that would cover your butt and vagina for the first couple of days-week.

Then some regular ones for when it gets to be like regular period and some panty liners for the left overs.

Some women bleed for a while.  I bled for 7 weeks after my m/c but only for about 2 with each labor.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageBrittanyDoesDerby:
    I would imagine they feel nice on the swollen and sore lady bits. 

This, exactly! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for the info Ladies. After reading your replies this all makes sense now =)

You are absolutely right - you can take a million classes and read a million books about child birth but no one ever tells you about what happens with recovery other than you get a period. It didnt click that I may tear and need stitches or that my lady bits will probably swell to the size of my head... I was all set to take baby down to Florida and recoup there w my mom for my maternity leave but the hot Florida sun sounds like the last place I would want to be with all of that going on lol!

Is it true that if you breast feed you wont bleed as long as you would if you didnt? And if it is isnt it just delaying the inevitable for however long you do breastfeed?

• Options
    imagemaiatene:

Thanks for the info Ladies. After reading your replies this all makes sense now =)

You are absolutely right - you can take a million classes and read a million books about child birth but no one ever tells you about what happens with recovery other than you get a period. It didnt click that I may tear and need stitches or that my lady bits will probably swell to the size of my head... I was all set to take baby down to Florida and recoup there w my mom for my maternity leave but the hot Florida sun sounds like the last place I would want to be with all of that going on lol!

Is it true that if you breast feed you wont bleed as long as you would if you didnt? And if it is isnt it just delaying the inevitable for however long you do breastfeed?

Breastfeeding helps shrink your uterus faster so in theory yes you would bleed a shorter amount of time.  I imagine this is again different for every women. I can tell you that I did notice a huge positive difference in my body's recovery from DS1 only pumping for four months and DS2 EBF for 14 months.   When I started getting my period again around 11 months post partum it was a regular period, nothing over the top.

Another note of something I didn't realize for post partum is you continue to have mild contractions after birth.  They can be more painful while you breastfeed and last a few days.  They increase in intensity after each child.  With DS2 I could only nurse like 10 minutes at a time at first cause the contractions hurt so bad.  This goes away after a couple of days, so it in no way should be a deterent in nursing just something to know about.

• Options
    Ok so my ? is ...... does the witch hazel/frozen pads burn at all? I picked some up today to make my own and when i read the back of the witch hazel bottle it says it has 14% alcohol but its listed under inactive ingredient.......SOOOO now im scared to try them. I have read great reviews but am worried ill cause myself more pain Indifferent Please help. 
  • Options
    Ok so my ? is ...... does the witch hazel/frozen pads burn at all? I picked some up today to make my own and when i read the back of the witch hazel bottle it says it has 14% alcohol but its listed under inactive ingredient.......SOOOO now im scared to try them. I have read great reviews but am worried ill cause myself more pain Indifferent Please help. 
  • Options

imageabbieaggie:
    They will give you demoplast spray and peri bottles at the hospital (which are also good for boys if they are getting a circumcision).  Yes, hemorrhoid pads, I thought the Tucks & preparation h pads were the best at soothing... I did not attempt to make my own with witch hazel.  I was so tired, frustrated with nursing and sore from the episiotomy that I did not want any extra work to do. 

my hospital did not provide dermoplast spray. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My hospital put ice in a pampers diaper for the swelling. It was AWESOME!!! And I only used them in the hospital. I never used frozen pads of witch hazel after I got home, just dermoplast spray that I bought at the store & the peri bottle from the hospital.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageedenis728:

It shouldn't burn.  I don't think I actually poured witch hazel on anything.  I believe the tucks pads have it in them.  They are like wet wipes if that makes sense.

• Options

Your bits will be sore, swollen, you may have hemorrhoids (that is what the tucks pads and witch hazel are for), and you may have had tearing or an episiotomy.  

The mesh panties are good because they are very stretchy and disposable, so they won't squeeze your parts and who cares if they get dirty.  

Tucks, Frozen pads and ice pack pads are for the swelling witch hazel and ticks are for hemorrhoids

Dermaplast spray is for the swelling, soreness, and any tearing or incisions. 

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageedenis728:

No - it is a very soothing and cooling/relieving sensation. The tucks pads already have the witch hazel in them, but you can make your own frozen ice pack/witch hazel pads for after you leave the hospital - I was super swollen and used homemade ice/witch hazel pads for about a week after I got home. (Just soak a pad in a light stream of water to get it saturated, pour some witch hazel over it, and stick in freezer for a few hours until frozen.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the answer's. I thought it would be ok since so many people recommend it. Hope everyone has a great Monday Smile
  • Options

PP answer most of your questions - but here's a FUNNY STORY re: the pads -

While in labor, I asked my l&d nurse for a cold compress for my head/neck. She handed me something and it felt great.  A little while later another nurse came in and looked at me, smirked, then looked at the other nurse questioningly.  She explained that I had asked for a cold pack and that's all she had handy".....

Later I found out I had a ice maxi pad held to my forehead all day long!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"