International Bumpies
Options

You know - there is a Canadian board too.... :)

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/4612949/ShowForum.aspx

just thought I'd mention it cause there seem to be a lot of Canadian ladies

Re: You know - there is a Canadian board too.... :)

• Options
    Yes, it may be hard to get to but it may make more sense for you guys to use that. If you go to the Nest the international board has no Canadians on it...well at the moment it's dead but when it wasn't dead the canadians didn't all hang out there
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Options

imageashleysyn2:
    Yep, we know. It's hard to get to though.

Whichever board you want to use is fine, but this reason I don't get. Go there once and put a bookmark. Easy peasy. Or do non-computer devices (e.g. smart phones) not let you set bookmarks? I'm stuck in the computer Stone Age and my phone does not connect to the internet, so I don't know.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi Ladies,

I'm a proud Canadian living in New Zealand.

The way I understand it is that this International board is intended for everyone who is not American.  That means Canadians, the English, the Irish, Chinese, those living in Kuala Lumpur and whatever other countries Bumpies reside in.

With thebump.com being based in the States, and 99% of Bumpies being American, I personally don't understand what the flap is about.

This is supposed to be a productive website for women to use around the world for various questions, concerns, networking and support.  It should not be intended for any xenophobic or comments to the like.

I look forward to a productive and supportive future bumping with you.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

No need to be so defensive jp03

I think we're all just trying to say that the issues people who live abroad, away from their families/home country (whether from the US or not) have are different to those who live in Canada

but anyhow - it's a free board - people can post where ever they want - but it just makes more sense for Canadians to post on the Canadian board :)

• Options
    imagejp03:

The way I understand it is that this International board is intended for everyone who is not American.  

I understand your point, but if there is already a board for Canadians living in Canada, why wouldn't all bumpies fitting that criteria head over to the Canadian board?

I just think it would give this board a better focus--people living outside of their country of origin or non-American people.  It's just going to be divided anyway since Canadians will be talking about completely different things than expats imo.  

I agree this board is for anyone "international" since the term is a bit ambiguous, but I just don't get why everyone is all excited about an international board when there has been a board just for Canadians at everyone's disposal for quite some time now.  But maybe I'm missing something? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I agree with LadyMadrid. I dont care where people post but the board is just going to be divided by topics.

I understand that most people here live in the States and that you would want your own space to talk about things. Perhaps, you could contact somebody at TB to put the link to the board with the other boards on the left so that it is easy for you guys to reach it.

And of course, Canada is international but I thought that this board was going to be like the International board over on TN, for expats of all countries to talk about our experiences.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You know a board is slow when this is actually a discussion ...

I'm Canadian and considered to be international despite my non-expat status. I'll post where I want thanks. 
  • Options
    Since when do people not want Canadians around?
  • Options
    I don't like posting to myself on a dead board thanks.
  • Options

This I don't get, if you don't post because its dead.but you're all posting h ere, just post there and it wont be dead....

And,for the record, and I hope this isn't offensive to anyone, but I don't consider north Americans 'international'. Your experiences as Canadians are totally different than expats,  and largely similar to those below the border. No one was saying bugger off, just saying, why here if you have your own board. Don't start a war guys!

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • Options

imagesynchrosally:
    I don't like posting to myself on a dead board thanks.

LOL seriously this. There isn't even a full page of posts yet. Why split the board in half?

• Options
    imageAmericanInOz:

I think we're all just trying to say that the issues people who live abroad, away from their families/home country (whether from the US or not) have are different to those who live in Canada

but anyhow - it's a free board - people can post where ever they want - but it just makes more sense for Canadians to post on the Canadian board :)

then maybe they should rename this board the "international bumpies (except Canadian ones)" board. Silliness. So there are lots of us. I feel like I am on Survivor about to be voted off the island....  

• Options
    Yes but...nothing is happening over there, ya hoser.
  • Options
    imageRosebean:
    imageAmericanInOz:

then maybe they should rename this board the "international bumpies (except Canadian ones)" board. Silliness. So there are lots of us. I feel like I am on Survivor about to be voted off the island....  

Seriously. And if this was an ex-pat board why wouldnt they name it such? The Bump is American, most of the members are American. I'm Canadian, which is 'International', so I think I'll post here, thanks. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

How is a post about hockey which lists only Canadian teams as options is somehow "international"?  Not that I care, or have a horse in this race.  I just find it a bit ironic. Wink

ETA: I like Canadians.  Please don't leave. 

• Options
    On the nest there was an international newlyweds board that was mostly used by people that were living outside of their native country (or wanted to, or recently repatriated to their native country). When it was brought to the nest's attention that many of the members weren't newlyweds new board name suggestions were given. Expats was one of the options, but it was vetoed because some of the people were not living in their native country, but weren't on an expat contract or something. For example, they were married to someone who was local. So they opted for int'l nesties. Most of the regulars were dealing with the same issues (living far from family and friends, foreign governments, language barriers...) so there was no need to separate it out for living abroad because of marriage to a local, or living abroad because of work. I think that's why there isn't an expat forum over here, because the people that posted on the nest opted not to have that name. But, there is a canada forum. Doesn't mean that canada isn't international or that canadians can't or shouldn't post here, it's just a fact that there is a canada forum. 
  • Options
    Also, I apologize for spelling and grammar errors. I'm running on little sleep at the moment.
  • Options
    I don't find anything "international" about living in your home country with a SO from your home country...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Nest!
  • Options

imageBluenoser4ever:
    imagektkl09:
    I don't find anything "international" about living in your home country with a SO from your home country...
    I suppose the word is open for interpretation then. In my mind, and I assume many others as well, "international bumpies" are bumpies living outside of the States regardless of the reason. Although Canada is in N.A., it is still considered international compared to the U.S.

Yes, of course it's international to the US, I wasn't saying that. But if you live in your home country with your SO from your home country, you do not experience the same difficulties as those who live abroad. If you were living in Canada, but originally from somewhere else then it would be more "international".

I'm not trying to be snarky about this, I know there are differences between the US and Canada, but not exactly on the scale of Europe vs. North America.

• Options

Guess what the description for this board says... 

Not in the U.S.? Chat with other international Bumpies right here!

Looks like we can all post here. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagealizabethanne:

Guess what the description for this board says... 

Not in the U.S.? Chat with other international Bumpies right here!

Looks like we can all post here. 

Nobody said you couldn't.  

• Options
    Nobody said you couldn't, just confused as to why you would want to.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageTofumonkey:

Exactly. 

Obviously Canada is veyr different from the US, but if there is already a board for Canadians to talk together, it seems silly to talk on another board. The most similar example I can think of is the PT board. It's so slow that I know people post on the toddlers boards. That annoys me  - but it's a transitional board that people aren't in for very long, only while they're PT. Your Canadian for life, so your board doesn't have that excuse, surely? I don't understand why you wouldn't make it livlier by all posting more, if you want to talk to each other so much (which is fair enough - ti's why I like posting on International boards)...

• Options
    imagewelshgirl:

imageTofumonkey:

Exactly. 

Obviously Canada is veyr different from the US, but if there is already a board for Canadians to talk together, it seems silly to talk on another board. The most similar example I can think of is the PT board. It's so slow that I know people post on the toddlers boards. That annoys me  - but it's a transitional board that people aren't in for very long, only while they're PT. Your Canadian for life, so your board doesn't have that excuse, surely? I don't understand why you wouldn't make it livlier by all posting more, if you want to talk to each other so much (which is fair enough - ti's why I like posting on International boards)...

You find it silly. People who post here don't. I don't see what the big deal is. There is room for everyone to post where they want. If you don't want to read a post from someone who is Canadian living in Canada, don't read it.

There is a strong tone of "get OFF our board!!" not well hidden behind every "but why oh why are you posting here?" People have given answers although really, it's none of anyone's buisness.

Why is there an excuse needed?

• Options
    imageblush64:
    imagewelshgirl:

imageTofumonkey:

Exactly. 

You find it silly. People who post here don't. I don't see what the big deal is. There is room for everyone to post where they want. If you don't want to read a post from someone who is Canadian living in Canada, don't read it.

There is a strong tone of "get OFF our board!!" not well hidden behind every "but why oh why are you posting here?" People have given answers although really, it's none of anyone's buisness.

my honest opinion is that if there were only 2 or 3 Canadians here, we wouldn't be getting the ole heave ho from the others. The overwhelming response of Canadians seems to be leading to this reaction of "hey, there are way too many of you, we don't like it, please go somewhere other than here" followed by a bevy of reasons as to why/how we can go over to the inactive Canadian board.

How hard is it to understand that maybe Canadians are here because we find a commonality with those who live elsewhere in the world that allows us to all relate. We all don't live in the USA. And right now, either you can moan and groan about all those "darned Canadians" and try to knock us off one by one as if you are killing pesky flies, or you can except the fact that we like to be here too and enjoy the posts to come. I am more than confident that we can all find more things in common and relatable topics to talk about other than "you know, there is a Canadian board too..."  

The Canadian board just doesn't have the followers to warrant a post. I could post there until I am blue in the face, and I would have more luck with my BMB board or trimester board to get the advice or connection I am looking for. I am hoping that by posting here, I will continue to find the connection that is unfortunately lacking at the Canadian board and still feel welcome.

• Options
    imageRosebean:
    imageblush64:
    imagewelshgirl:

imageTofumonkey:

Exactly. 

my honest opinion is that if there were only 2 or 3 Canadians here, we wouldn't be getting the ole heave ho from the others. The overwhelming response of Canadians seems to be leading to this reaction of "hey, there are way too many of you, we don't like it, please go somewhere other than here" followed by a bevy of reasons as to why/how we can go over to the inactive Canadian board.

How hard is it to understand that maybe Canadians are here because we find a commonality with those who live elsewhere in the world that allows us to all relate. We all don't live in the USA. And right now, either you can moan and groan about all those "darned Canadians" and try to knock us off one by one as if you are killing pesky flies, or you can except the fact that we like to be here too and enjoy the posts to come. I am more than confident that we can all find more things in common and relatable topics to talk about other than "you know, there is a Canadian board too..."  

The Canadian board just doesn't have the followers to warrant a post. I could post there until I am blue in the face, and I would have more luck with my BMB board or trimester board to get the advice or connection I am looking for. I am hoping that by posting here, I will continue to find the connection that is unfortunately lacking at the Canadian board and still feel welcome.

We can all be friends. 

• Options
    imageblush64:
    imagewelshgirl:

imageTofumonkey:

Exactly. 

Look, it's not a big deal, no 'excuse' is needed, but I just don't get it. Agree to disagree,and I will see how this board integrates and evolves. I'm skeptical it will, and suspect we will have two groups of posts.  If we all become one big happy international family, or ecen comment on each others posts, fab, but well see. So far it seems polarised, which is why I am agreed with tofu, I don't get it. 

• Options
    I don't think anyone has a problem with Canadians posting here. The only reason, I believe, the Canadian board keeps being mentioned is because there was a post telling Canadians to let the Canadians on other boards know that this one exists. Why not use that same effort to make the Canadian board more active?
  • Options

bookmarks you guys - that's all I have to say

that's how I find this board - and that's how it would be easy to find the Canadian board :)

• Options
    Here is a quote from this section. It was taken here Welcome to the International Bumpies board!

imageBump Kathleen:
    Chat with other Bumpies who live outside the U.S. right here!

Last time I checked, Canada was a country of its own, outside the U.S. ...

It's nice that there is a Canadian board, but maybe I don't want to seclude myself into talking only to Canadians? Maybe I like the option of opening up to a world of possibilities and learning about how other mothers live with their families? 

I guess I should be full of myself and only care about the people in my country? Oh wait, I'm Canadian. We're not wired that way.
  • Options
    imagejessicadube:
    Here is a quote from this section. It was taken here Welcome to the International Bumpies board!

imageBump Kathleen:
    Chat with other Bumpies who live outside the U.S. right here!

Last time I checked, Canada was a country of its own, outside the U.S. ...

It's nice that there is a Canadian board, but maybe I don't want to seclude myself into talking only to Canadians? Maybe I like the option of opening up to a world of possibilities and learning about how other mothers live with their families? 

I guess I should be full of myself and only care about the people in my country? Oh wait, I'm Canadian. We're not wired that way.

You're not wired that way? By making this statement, you are in fact wired "that way". This is exactly why you should go to the Canada board, if you are going to make comments like this about Americans. No one else wants to country bash. 

• Options
    imagektkl09:
    imagejessicadube:

You're not wired that way? By making this statement, you are in fact wired "that way". This is exactly why you should go to the Canada board, if you are going to make comments like this about Americans. No one else wants to country bash. 

Hahaha! :)

It's sweet that you would feel offended by that comment. We're laid back, we don't stress over who posts where.

Suck it up, honey, Canadians are here to stay. :) 

• Options
    Then post if you are here to stay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"