Baby Names

Juliette/Juliet Spelling...

DD#2 will be Juliette Paige.  I originally was deadset on spelling Juliette w/the ette.  I mainly just think the spelling is a bit more unique, and feminine.  However, EVERYONE comments they prefer it spelled Juliet.  Not sure why?  I worry about Juliet, b/c do not want her NN to be Julie or Juila....  yuck.  We will NN her Jules, and honestly will probably call her Jules half the time.  Which spelling do you prefer, and do you like this name at all?

TIA!

Chemical Pregnancy 5.2011. BFP 9.2011 MC @ 8.5w D&C 11.4.2011 sweet pea is always in our hearts. BFP 3.23.2012! Our baby turkey is due 11.22.2012! Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Juliette/Juliet Spelling...

• I love Juliette/Juliet! Honestly, I like both spellings but most people prefer Juliet. No matter which way you spell it people could still call her Julie or Julia. It is up to you to tell them not too.

ETA: If you like the spelling Juliette then use it.

• km3km3 member
    I like Juliette better.
    imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I love the name Juliet.

I prefer Juliet for its simplicity and literary ties. I find Juliette overly frilly. It also causes me to say ju-lee-ETT as opposed to JU-lee-ett in my head. If you add the extra letters, I think she'll run into a lot more typos over the course of her life. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I prefer the Juliet spelling. I think it is the more common, straight forward spelling. If someone told me their name was Juliet, I would assume it was spelled this way.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I don't think the spelling will have any effect whatsoever on how people shorten the name.

I prefer Juliet. Juliette is far too frilly for me, and the extra -te is unnecessary.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • This is a really common question on this board, and I am usually the odd woman out when I say I prefer Juliette. I think it gives it more of a romantic whim. :) On our list! (Juliette Viola Josephine)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
    BFP #1: 12/22/10. EDD: 9/4/11. BDay: 8/30/11
    BFP #2: 10/16/12. EDD: 6/27/13. Said Goodbye: 10/22/12
    BFP #3: 11/20/12. EDD: 8/1/13. STICK BABY STICK!
    Betas: 11/30/12 - 2819. 12/2/12 - 7339! Keep growing, baby!

VOTE on my Name List
  • I prefer Juliet. No real reason, I just think it looks better.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagekm3:
    I like Juliette better.
    This.

I prefer the French spelling. It's prettier imo. It's also the way I say it, with the emphasis on the -ette. I also like that the French spelling gives a little distance to the Shakespearean tragedy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLexiLupin:

a) how on earth will the extra letters stop people from shortening to Julie or Julia? They'll probably try it anyway (politely correct them) and what if she one day decides she prefers one of those over Jules?

b) I see them as two (marginally) different names. Juliette is French and pronounced slightly differently (zhoo-lee-ET) vs Juliet (JOO-lee-et). I like both, but I wouldn't spell it the French way if, as I assume, you are pronouncing it the English way.

c) Juliet is a feminine name. No one will mistake Juliet for a boy but think Juliette is a girl. Jules, however, is more traditionally masculine... unisex at best. 

All of this

• imageKimbus22:
    imageskio:

I don't think the spelling will have any effect whatsoever on how people shorten the name.

I prefer Juliet. Juliette is far too frilly for me, and the extra -te is unnecessary.

This exactly.

agreed! Juliet Elisabeth is on my list.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Juliet Hope is on our short list of 3 names. (We are officially naming her when we see her)

I prefer the Juliet spelling because the extra "ette" feels like its too much. Maybe to frilly for my taste... Not really sure why. But its your little girl, pick the one you love best :)

As far as nicknames, friends and family will call her what you want, if you simply tell them. I was soooo nervous people were gonna call my oldest Charlotte, "Charlie". We simply just would NEVER call her that and if someone else did, I would correct them "Its Charlotte, we dont want to use nicknames" and now she is 4, she will tell people herself LOL

Im sure if you call her Jules often, that is the nickname that will catch on, no matter the spelling. If someone calls her Julia, simply say, "oh we actually call her Jules for short at home" Ya know?

Me 33, DH 33, Charlotte 5, Ethan 3
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If I could get DH on board, this would be top of my list for a future DD.  I prefer the Juliet spelling by far.  It is much cleaner and simpler to me. 
    BFP#1 - 08/30/09 - m/c - 10/2/09 7w4d
    BFP #2 - 11/4/09 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    My Book Blog
  • I much prefer the French spelling of Juliette.

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• I prefer Juliette, maybe because I have a friend who spells it that way.
  • I'm strongly opinionated on this one.  Big Smile

My name is Juliet.  Obviously I have been biased my entire life, but I much prefer this spelling.  I like its simplicity, it feels more classic and elegant to me, it is feminine without being frilly, which suits my personality.  I like the Shakespearean connection and don't feel the need to distance myself from it by spelling my name differently.

Either way you spell it:

1. it will make no difference in her nickname.  People will occasionally call her Julie (or Julia if they mishear the last syllable) and you will have to correct them politely.  People usually base nicknames on what they hear, not what they read.

2. it will get misspelled either way.  If people just hear my name, it's about 50/50 they'll spell it Juliet vs. Juliette, and in addition there have been plenty of creative misspellings.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"