School-Aged Children

Losing teeth?

Hi! This is my first post on this board. DS just started K this year and DD will going to K next year.

I have a question for those of you whose children have lost teeth. How long did it take for the tooth to fall out once you noticed it was loose? DS has a loose tooth(on the bottom). It has been loose for almost a month and it still has not come out. Is that normal for it take so long?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Losing teeth?

• I have not gone through it yet but yes that is totally normal.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • yes completely normal, DS's became loose right after his birthday at the beginning of August, he just lost it 3 weeks ago. he's so funny, he would wiggle it 10 times, after brushing his teeth every night to help it along. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes that is very normal.  Some teeth will get loose but take forever to fall out and then others will get loose and fall out quickly.  So no worries it will eventually come out.
  • Yeah- what everyone else said! My daughter lost her first one over the summer and it was loose for a bit over 3 weeks.  It was a bit wiggy for a few weeks, then all of a sudden got super loose, and stayed that way for a week until it finally fell out.
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • My kid in K just lost his today and it was loose for a little over a month. He was totally avoiding biting with it and forgot today at lunch and it fell out. It started bleeding, he was sent to the nurse and was momentarily mortified (he wasn't so sure of that nurses's office lol) but then was fine.

note to self: keep in mind I have tooth fairy duties tonight! 

Patty Matt 4/7/05 and Sean 12/14/06 image
  • Thanks ladies.  His permanent tooth has already cut through the gum and is coming in behind his baby tooth which concerns me a little. I feel better knowing it i normal for it take this long for teeth to finally fall out though. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imagejnksmom:
    Thanks ladies.nbsp; His permanent tooth has already cut through the gum and is coming in behind his baby tooth which concerns me a little. I feel better knowing it i normal for it take this long for teeth to finally fall out though.nbsp;

I doubt they would want to pull it but I would call about this.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • We didn't even know DS first lost tooth was loose.   He was eating corn on the cob and said "what's that", turns out it was his tooth.
    Cheryl, Evan 4.25.05, Paige 7.2.07
  • Normal.  DDs was loose almost 2 months before it came out (for her first one).  She has lost 8 @ 7 years old.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Normal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image Mom to 4, pregnant with 2
  • DS is a huge scaredy cat when it comes to losing teeth. He holds on to them as long as possible, upwards of 6 months, until they fall out by themselves. Twice he has had to have them extracted at the dentist because he absolutely refused to touch them or let me near him.

So one month is nothing.  

• As others have said, it's normal.

My DD would nurse a loose tooth, protecting it instead of wiggling it to get it out.  She'd walk around with a slightly loose tooth for months, a fairly loose tooth for weeks, and even nurse it along when it was dangling by a thread for several more days.  Torture!

Not my DS!  When he has a loose tooth, he works it constantly and it comes out in a few weeks.  He's even asked me to just pull them out when they're to the "hanging by a thread" stage. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • It can take months.  My DD has lost 2 so far and has been working on the third for at least 2 months.  We thought for sure it would fall out in early Oct and my DD had really wanted it to fall out on our Disney cruise which was 2 weeks ago - the dang thing is still hanging in there - DH tried to pull it out every few days with no luck.  This morning it started bleeding while she brushed her teeth and still would not come out.  I keep thinking she will lose it at school but as of this morning, still in her mouth.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"