Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Time from walking with push toy to independent walking?

My 15.5 month old twins (about 13 months corrected) spend most of their day walking (often more like running) around the house pushing their push toys.  They don't have much interest in walking with my help, but they do cruise around on furniture quite a bit too.  They're just beginning to test the waters with letting go of things and balancing for a few seconds on their own.  

I know all kids are different, but if your LO used push toys to learn to walk how long did it take for them to learn to do it on their own?

Thanks! 

Re: Time from walking with push toy to independent walking?

• My 15mo. has been using a push toy since her bday but cannot stand or walk on her own yet.  So, 3 months and counting....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd take way the walkers for a few days and see what happens.
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter used that walked starting at 8 months to walk around. She also started crusing at that time. Then she stopped walking with it around 10 months but right before she started to walk on her own she became crazy with her walker toy....that is how I knew she was about to walk on her own.
  • imageheymommy:
    I'd take way the walkers for a few days and see what happens.

I wouldn't do this if I were you...Your LO's will walk independently when they are ready. DD used the push toy (and anything else that she could push across the floor lol) for a few months before she started walking on her own. I can't remember exactly how long it was but it seemed like forever. I've also read that there is such a huge gap of time when it's normal for LO's to start walking (like 9-18mos) and you said their adjusted age is 13 months so I wouldn't worry too much yet.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!
  • My almost 14month old started walking with the push toy around 11 months.  She cruises like a champ, will walk holding one of my hands but has only taken a few steps on her own.  Most days she has no interest in standing up or walking unassisted.  I know she can do it ( has taken 5 unassisted steps) but is just not ready. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Pedi told us to get rid of the push toys, and as soon as we did, LO started walking.
  • Interesting - the range of advice even from pediatricians never ceases to amaze me.  Ours was ecstatic with how much ours were using their push toys.  We're going on vacation next week, without the push toys, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for all the responses.  I'm not actually worried about their walking, they've made great progress lately, I'm more just curious about what to expect.  The logistics of getting from point A to B in non-stroller situations with two non-walking twins can be challenging, though it has been good for my biceps. 

• My LO was an early walker. She got her first push toy at about 7 1/2 months and started taking a few steps with it.  She started two stepping it on her own about 8 1/2 months and was walking by 9 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think it took ~3 mo for my son.  He was pushing the toy around 9 mo but showed no interest in taking our fingers and walking.  He was cruising all over the place too.  He started independently walking just after 1 yr.  He took a few independent steps starting around 11 mo but still used crawling or push toys to get himself around.
  • My DD was a bit speedy with her physical milestones.  She was cruising at 7 months, walking with push toys at about 8 months and full out walking at 10.5 months. 
  • Cruising/using walker at 10 months, walking a few steps without at 12 months, and really walking unassisted at 13. Now, at 14 months she is running!
  • And my daughter never ever used the push walkers. She can't stand them. We have about 4 or 5 of them that were gifts, and they are just dust collectors. She never used them at all. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • imageKimbus22:
    DS started walking with push toys around 9 months and walking on his own at 11 months.

This was pretty much DS too. He didn't really use push toys often, though (or he would push something not actually intended as a push toy lol). He was cruising on furniture around 8/9 months.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"