February 2013 Moms
Options

Birthing Centers vs Hospital Births

I have been looking into the birthing center in our area to see what they have to offer. It seems like exactly what I am looking for....a way for me to go through the labor and birth naturally. With my dd she born at the hospital. I started out great trying to do it naturally and at 8 cm I gave into the epidural. I was hooked up to so many machines, IV's, catheter.....it was not what I had expected for the birth. She is a very healthy little girl so if that all happened the same way with this LO I would be fine, but I do want to experience having a complete natural birth. I feel that the hospitals were rushing me to get an epidural and as soon as I was comfortable they slowed everything down to help the lady in the next room having her baby. grrr... Anyways, the main reason for this post is to get opinions on who else is going to a birthing center...and if anyone has experiences from previous births that they would like to share that would be great! Thanks!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Birthing Centers vs Hospital Births

• Options

Are you planning on using an in-hospital birthing center or a free-standing?  The in-hospital "birthing centers" that are advertised at our hospitals are really no different than just a hospital setting.  They just call it a birthing center because of the mother/baby suites and nice decor.

A free-standing birthing center is usually very different and is essentially like having a homebirth without having to deal with the birth mess being at home.  I haven't had a birth center birth, but I have had a homebirth and really enjoyed the experience. 

I would post this question on the natural birth board.  There are a lot of ladies there planning birth center births.

• Options

I have had an epidural with both of my babies. I will admit that the first was a horrible experience but it was a lot of factors playing into that. I was in labor 3 and a half days the docs didnt notice until the last day that he was sunny side up plus I HAD to hurry up and have a baby. My husband was on leave from Japan and they gave him the standard 2 weeks. MY second I was induced after a successful version because she was trying to turn back breech. I made it to 5cm and the midwife told me that she was going to break my water and that I would need an epi. I never questioned it because I figured a midwife was in my corner and she knew what was best. This time I am going to try a freestanding birth center because its something I have always wanted to do but never get the opportunity. Plus I figure that if I chicken out it will be too much of a hassle to move to somewhere to get the epi. Plus I am hoping that each birth is easier and faster like ppl say. My second was 8 hours from start to finish. HTH

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    image+adamwife+:

Are you planning on using an in-hospital birthing center or a free-standing?  The in-hospital "birthing centers" that are advertised at our hospitals are really no different than just a hospital setting.  They just call it a birthing center because of the mother/baby suites and nice decor.

A free-standing birthing center is usually very different and is essentially like having a homebirth without having to deal with the birth mess being at home.  I haven't had a birth center birth, but I have had a homebirth and really enjoyed the experience. 

I would post this question on the natural birth board.  There are a lot of ladies there planning birth center births.

Thanks I will post this question there. It is a free standing birthing center even closer to my home than the hospital. I really hope I can have the confidence to go thru with it and have the baby there.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"