August 2011 Moms
Options

Irrational?

At 4 months pregnant, I need a gut check...

i'm super upset b/c for the 2nd year in a row MIL bought an outfit for DS to wear for Christmas and told us when he should wear it (2 events). Last year we said thank you but planned to get an outfit for him but said he'd get use from what she bought. She was hurt and it turned into all this drama.  I'm his mother and I want to dress my baby, especially for Christmas.  She doesn't understand/respect this. She feels being grandmother comes with privilege as well.  

DH is amazing and said forget it, he'll wear what we want him to wear and she can deal. But I'm still upset and know I have to move on, but am I crazy for being upset about this?  Is she overstepping or are my hormones going crazy? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Irrational?

• Options

I think it's weird for her to buy DS clothes and tell you exactly when he would have to wear.  Umm....nope!  Doesn't work that way for me.  I don't have anyone that would do that but for something like Christmas I would like to buy my child what I want.

I don't think your being irrational at all!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think you have a right to be upset, I get a tad emotional about IL issues as well. You are his mom, you get to decide what he wears, especially for Christmas. Maybe compromise and take him to get pictures with Santa in the outfit? And just tell her respectfully but clearly that you would prefer to pick his holiday outfits unless you specifically state otherwise. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sure your MIL meant well, but considering you already told her not to do this last year, yeah, I'd be upset too. I don't think I'd be upset about the outfit per se, but more about the fact that she specifially told you when to put it on him.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Thanks ladies!  

On a side note, I am definitely irrationally angry that we're talking/dealing with Christmas before Halloween, but I've let that go already. :) stop wishing my life away MIL, Costco, Target, and everyone else already decorating! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

When my mom buys stuff for DDs to wear, she might say something like, "Yeah, I thought it was really cute and maybe she could wear it to [occasion] or something.  You know, or whatever, I just thought it was cute!"

But then she doesn't get offended when I decide to have them wear their new duds somewhere or to something else, or decide to have them wear what I choose to certain occasions.

It's weird that your MIL gets her panties in a twist over it. 

// I love you too. //

• Options
    imageNativeFloridian:
    When my mom buys stuff for DDs to wear, she might say something like, "Yeah, I thought it was really cute and maybe she could wear it to [occasion] or something. nbsp;You know, or whatever, I just thought it was cute!"But then she doesn't get offended when I decide to have them wear their new duds somewhere or to something else, or decide to have them wear what I choose to certain occasions.It's weird that your MIL gets her panties in a twist over it.nbsp;

My mom says the same thing. I totally think you have the right to be upset about what she is telling you to use it for. I think I would probably give her a smile and thank you then have him wear what I wanted him to wear.
  • Options
    I'd be upset because you already discussed this last year! I can see how the first time through expectations might be different and so you cleared up that you want to be the one to dress him. But her doing it again shows a lack of respect for your wishes, and that is infuriating.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"