Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

What age is size 2t technically for?

Like I know 12 months is 9-12 months and 18 months is for 12-18 mos, but what about 2t?  Is it for all of year 2 or until age 2...Size 3t would be until age 3 or for year3?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What age is size 2t technically for?

• I think 2t is meant for kids 2-3y/o. The 24m is slightly smaller, and meant for LO's up to 24m. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It depends on the kid. DS is 22 months and around 30 pounds and he can wear 2t tops, but 2t pants are too long. I think he will be in 2t until he's 2 and a half or 3.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Depends on the kid. DD Is almost 19 months and fits into 24 month clothes. I'm assuming she will go into 2t a little after she hits 2.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• I also think it depends on the kid. DD has been wearing 2t since around 19-20mo. 
    image Pregnancy Ticker
  • Technically, for a certain height and weight, depending in the brand. Usually 2T is for the average 2 year old. I don't go by age when dressing my girls or I'd be hooped. They tend to fit ahead, ie. dd1 is ten and wears size 12-14 or ladies xs, down to dd4, she had a growth spurt and is in 3t pants and 3/4 tops. My nephew is just the opposite, he fits size 4 for most things at age 5 1/2. 

ETA: I look up the height and weight charts for the brands, since they vary. From your original question, is two before or after age two, etc, size two is for a two year old, three for three, etc, for the average child. There isn't a rule that you must put them in the size for their age or anything. 

• My DS is almost 18 mo. old and wears 24 mo./2T tops but in pants, he does best in 24 mo. pants. All 2T pants are too long and too big around the middle. I was at Target the other day and held up a pair of 24 mo. Cherokee jeans and a pair of 2T Cherokee jeans. Both were the exact same width and length!! Obviously there is no standard. And of course no "standard" kid!! :)
  • imageMrs Castillo:

I think 2t is meant for kids 2-3y/o. The 24m is slightly smaller, and meant for LO's up to 24m. 

this! 24 months is shorter and wider where 2T is a little longer and leaner. Also you won't find snaps down the legs or anything to complicated since they start to potty train and need something that comes off quick.  

• imageManateearmz:
    Depends on the kid. DD Is almost 19 months and fits into 24 month clothes. I'm assuming she will go into 2t a little after she hits 2.

This is us, too.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• I think if you compare them among the same brand, you'll find that there's not too much of a difference. I found that the 2t pants were a little slimmer because I don't think they account for a diaper butt, 24m does.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• I always thought of it the opposite way. Most kids I know are in 9 - 12 months size when they are between 9 and 12 months old. They're in 12 months from 12 - 18 months, and then in 18 months when they turn 18 months. Therefore, 2T would be for 2 - 3 year olds. In other words, they wear the size when they are the age that the size indicates.. Of course, it depends on the child and their individual size, but that's what I have seen the most of and makes the most sense to me. 

• DS 1 was still wearing some of his 2t bottoms when he was 3.   He was wearing size 5 shirts when he was 3.5.   The sizes are just numbers.    I go by the weight and height listed on the tag.    

Ds2 is almost 16 months and wears 18 month in some brands and 24 in others, 

• I think it's for age 2 but it depends on the brand. A is wearing 24 months in some brands (Carters, Osh Kosh), 2T in some (Old Navy), and 18 - 24 in others (Gap, TCP). He's 20 months, about 34" and 25 lbs.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it's generally meant for kids who are 2, 3T for kids who are 3, etc. Of course there's variation. My boys are 3y9m and they have been in 4T shirts since spring, a mix of 24m/2T shorts this summer and 3T pants and jeans now this fall.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • 2T is probably meant for 2 year olds.  My older son is a little peanut.  He just turned 3 and he wears 2T shirts and 24 month bottoms.  He's still well under 30 pounds.  When I compare him to the other kids in his church nursery, he's pretty much the size of a 2 year old. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It totally depends on the kid. My son is 2 1/2 and wears 3T tops and 2T bottoms.
    BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"