Pre-School and Daycare

super heroes anyone?

Any one else's LO obsessed with Super Heroes?  I understand it's normal for LOs to LOVE things pretty intensely and I was ok with Toy Story, Buzz & Woody.  But, DS goes to Pre-School with kids that are a little older and they are really into Super Heroes now.  I don't know what it is about Super Heroes, but I feel like he's too young for this.  Everything is "bad guys and web shooting" which is leading to weapons and violence.  DH disagrees and says it's really normal for boys this age but I can't shake it. 

Thoughts? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: super heroes anyone?

• All of the boys around here that are DS's age are obsessed with super heroes, and none of them have seen any of the movies are cartoons either.  They just know somehow.  I'm ok with it. 
  • I work at a Pre-school and ALL the boys are into it. We do remind every child that superhero help people and are nice and if they are going to play a mean superhero then I would have to find something else for them to do. I just find it funny that we think its so cute when little boys up to the age of lets say 12 live, breath and sleep superheros, but when they get a little bit older and still lives, breaths and sleeps them then they are kinda geeky.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I could have written this post (actually have been meaning to ask you ladies). The kids my DS goes to school with are wildly into superheros and DS is just NOT. These kids are a little older than him (closer to 4.5-5) and it's turned into some really agressive playtime which DS isn't digging (not to mention DH and I). Someone always has to be the 'bad guy' and who's shooting whom!! It's a little much for this age, I agree. DS seems to go along with it for like a minute but he isn't into the fantasy stuff too much yet and would rather fiddle around with his cars, trucks and pretend he's a firefighter. He's very concrete and not into the abstract stuff as we're seeing.

I took DS to a bday party of one of the kids mentioned and asked 4 boys what they wanted to be for halloween. The 3 of them looked at me like i was new and said "batman". DS said, police officer. I was so darn proud of him for doing what he wanted!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It better be normal or I am in trouble... since my 3 yr old was just crying because his older brothers got hand me down storm troopers costumes, so now he is dressed up as bumblebee transformer that is meant for a 5 yr old... he just skipped over batman too, and went to a party as the cutest spider today..... oh well!
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Thanks so much for the feedback. DS is crazy about ironman and I've felt a little hesitant about just going along for the ride until the next big thing but feel better knowing he's not the only 3 year old avenger!
  • It is completely normal.  DS started getting into Batman, Spiderman, etc last year at school. He had never seen anything besides Nick Jr and Sprout before that.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • DS is obsessed with Superheroes.

For Halloween, however, he picked out the Police Man costume. 

• DS is obsessed and has been for awhile. He has seem some of Marvel's cartoons from the 80's (DH let him watch them, sigh). On the plus side, DS doesn't shoot guns on the play ground, instead he releases webs (I find webs far more preferable than bullets). From what I've seen, ALL the boys his age at school and in music class are equally obsessed.

I haven't seen any negative behavior as a result of his exposure to super heroes. He talks about bad guys and good guys, and thinks men's gymnastics is pretty cool. 

He did confuse Jesus with Ironman for a little while....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DD's new obsession is Power Rangers.  She wants to be the pink PR for Halloween.  She got it from the 6/7 year old neighbor boys since they wear their costumes outside to play a lot.  I'm ok with it though b/c when they play PR they just pretend to flip around, they don't try to engage in combat type things.  If it starts to get too rowdy in the future with playtime though I'll definitely be stepping in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"