February 2013 Moms
Options

Gaining.....

I know alot of ppl hate these posts, but I need some reasurance. So please, only those that have a significant amout of weight gain reply..

I just weighed myself this morning at 23 weeks along and I am up 18 lbs. I have not missed a week where i havn't gained at least a pound in this second trimester. Which is fine for now but what will the third trimester hold when the baby kicks into high gear! Yikes! I started out above average. Starting weight 155lbs and im 5ft 4 in. Just curious to see where you are all at...my first i gained around 40 so I guess that may be my number at this rate.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Gaining.....

• Options
    I'm right there with you.  I'm almost 22 weeks and I've gained 20lbs.  My Doctor isn't worried and she said she is really happy with the way things are progressing with my pregnancy.  I don't eat junk, I eat as healthy as I can ...so I guess I'm just one of the people who is going to gain 40 lbs.  I'm also 5'8". 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My doc said I should gain anywhere from 25-35 lbs...so far I've gained 17 (or 19 I can't remember right now?), and I am 22w...it's all bump though, and I feel great, so I'm assuming it is fine? 

If you are concerned about your weight gain ask at your next appointment, in the meantime be sure to eat lots of smaller healthy meals instead of a few big meals a day. Also, try getting out for more walks & being a little more active if you are feeling up for it! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm right there with you - 5'4", pre-pregancy weight was 153, up 15lbs at 20.5 weeks. I think gaining weight gracefully during a pregnancy is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Especially during the "did she eat a big lunch or is she pregnant?" phase. I just try to remember that I have a healthy baby on the way who is swimming in amniotic fluid along with all the extra fluid and as long as she has what she needs to grow and thrive, I'll deal whatever weight is left over after she's born. Just try to make good food choices when you can (grilled instead of fried, snack on fruit and veggies instead of chips, etc.) and exercise when and how much you can.

Married 2/15/09, BFP #1 02/03/12 - EDD 10/13/12, Missed M/C 03/15/12@9w5d (measuring 8w3d) They weren't kidding when they said "Beware the Ides of March" Image and video hosting by TinyPic BFP#2 06/13/12 - Emily Samantha born on Feb 9, 2013!
  • Options
    Your doctors sound a lot nicer than mine! or at least my nurse. I am 5'10" and 125 Pre pregnancy weight and at my 20.5 week appt I was up 15 lbs from my original weight. My nurse said to slow way down and that I should only be up 10lbs. She said "whatever you did last month, don't do it again!" I am so frusturated because I am a really healthy eater and I don't even know what I could cut!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I'm about at the same point you are.  I was 147 at my first OB appointment (I'm 5'4") and as of my appointment on Wednesday (23w3d), I had gained 17 pounds.  Eek.  Seeing as I had just lost 28 pounds prior to getting pregnant, it's been really hard for me to take this all in stride...though I know that I'm not gaining at an unreasonable rate.  My doc is fine with my weight, and even though I didn't ask, as we were going through the appointment, he said, "Weight is good.  Good job." and then moved on.  

The hard part for me is finding out during the ultrasound that baby weighs about a pound, and yet I've gained 17.  I know the weight comes from other things than the baby, but that is still just hard to swallow.  ;-) 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I weighed myself this morning and I'm up a total of 16.5 lbs. at 22 weeks 5 days. I really just wanted to cry!  I was a bit chuncky before we got pg and I'm so afraid I will be 200# by the end this pregnancy Crying

BabyFruit Ticker

06.10.12 +HPT 06.12.12 Beta #1 = 2,770 06.14.12 Beta #2 = 6,300
    1st U/S 06.18.12 2nd U/S 06.25.12
    09.24.12 It's a Boy!! ---> Jacob Owen

Our IF Journey Began: October 2009
    **8 Failed IUI's, 1 Blighted Ovum, & 1 Failed IVF**
    Dx: MFI, DOR w/MTHFR Homozygous A1298C & Hypothyroidism
    03.2012 Lab Results: FSH 6.83 AMH 0.67 TSH 3.8 E2 17
    SA 156 million 93% motility 3% morphology

Follow Me on Pinterest
    **~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~**
  • Options

I'm right there with you.  22 weeks in and 19 pounds up. 

I've been the same weight since high school, so it's been hard to see the number on the scale constantly increasing.  It's not just belly; I'm getting a little pudgy everywhere haha.

Trying to take it in stride, and even though my doctor says I'm OK, I still obsess over it.  Just got to keep reminding myself that it's a good thing to gain weight.  I'm mentally preparing myself for 40 lbs, but as long as I'm eating healthy and exercising, it must be something the baby needs!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't own a scale. It's not worth the headaches. You'll gain as much as you gain, and until your doctor is worried, consider your weight gain (or lack there of) normal. 
    K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    By my scale I'm up 24 lbs by the doctors scale I'm up 16lbs.  
    imageimageimage VOTE on my Name List     
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am 23 weeks and up about 22 lbs. I want to cry when I think about it. I am also 5'4. I weighed about 125 pp. My OB is not concerned but I am def on track for a 40lb weight gain which means a full 30+ lbs to take off. NOt going to be easy!
    Jen
    Mom to Ava 12.21.04 and Austin 10.22.06
    BFP 12/5/11...natural m/c 12/23/11 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Hang in there ladies!  I'm just thankful that everything is progressing well and thats the important thing! I just try to remember weight is something I can fix and is in my control after the baby is born.  Some of my friends haven't been so lucky with their pregnancies/LOs being born healthy.  I'm sure they would slap me and say your lucky that is your only worry. It definitely puts things in perspective for me everytime...   

We should start a weekly check in after our LOs arrive for weight loss/activity!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagePjpeppercorn:
    Your doctors sound a lot nicer than mine! or at least my nurse. I am 5'10" and 125 Pre pregnancy weight and at my 20.5 week appt I was up 15 lbs from my original weight. My nurse said to slow way down and that I should only be up 10lbs. She said "whatever you did last month, don't do it again!" I am so frusturated because I am a really healthy eater and I don't even know what I could cut!

wow - that's actually pretty horrible!  based on your pre-pregnancy stats, you were technically UNDER weight!  They should not scold you at all for gaining 15, and in fact most doctors should be recommending you gain even more given you were slightly underweight.

As for the original poster and the rest of you ladies, I'm also right there and then some.  I'm up 25 lbs already, and, quite ironically, I work in the clinical weight control field - we even have programs dedicated to helping women gain the recommended amounts during pregnancy!  Pre-pregnancy I was extremely calorie conscious, so this is hard to deal with.  I have expressed concern the whole way, and my doctor laughs at me and says I need to relax.  She feels as though I am a healthy person in good control of my weight, and knows I am working hard to give my baby healthy nutrition.  I actually feel as though at least some of my weight gain has come from ditching my typical splenda & preservative laden fare for all-natural, whole foods.  Either way, although recommendations are for 25-35 for normal weight women, I'm certain I will now be gaining more.  I know all the ramifications of this, but am hopeful I can counsel myself right back to a healthy weight afterward :) 

Don't fret - there are others in your same position, and try to remember all of the baby-related tissue and fluid that is necessary for a healthy little one!

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

When I was pregnant with DD, I literally gained 1 pound a week, (10 in first tri..)  I was always told my weight gain was good.  And I was a bit over weight to begin with.  I don't understand why some doctors freak out so much over weight, and others don't seem to care.

This time, I have gained maybe 5 pounds, I barely ever want to eat. 

• Options
    At my 20 week appointment I was up 24 (!) pounds. I gained over 50 with both my boys and it looks like I'm on track to beat that this time around.I've lost it all before so I'm not too worried about it. My Dr isn't concerned either. I started at 135 and am 5'3".
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm up 20 lbs at 20 weeks and my doc was cool with it. I'm making healthy nutritious food choices and my doc said its fine. I was 130, 5'6.5"" pre pregnancy
  • Options
    This. I only get on the scale when Im at the doctor. I figure if he doesnt have a problem with how much I am gaining, than I should worry until he does.
  • Options

I gained over 50 with DD due to pre-e and the horrible edema that comes along with it.  With DS I gained around 35.  With this one I'm up 20 pounds so far, maybe a little more, and I'm almost 24 weeks.

I just gain really fast during the beginning and then taper off toward the end.  Some women just gain a good bit of weight, and that's perfectly fine as long as you and LO are healthy.  Every body is different from the next.  It's actually taken me until this 3rd pregnancy to accept that and try not to force myself to stay within the recommended weight gain.  My body just likes to gain during pregnancy.  Though I did just post about eating chili cheese fries!

DD: 6/30/09. Mild pre-e DS: 9/5/10. Normal pregnancy Diagnosed 6/4/12 with dermatomyositis. Currently on Prednisone and IVIG therapy. 9/11/12: Normal a/s for DS2. No side effects from my medication, yay! DS2: 1/28/13. Thankful for healthy children! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

Psh! I almost hit the doctor I seen the other night, they weigh me at 7:30 at night waering a coat and boots. Tells me I've gained too much weight and that I need to see a dietress. I left there in tears! Angry. Then she proceeds to give me a d@mn cookie! Seriously!?! When I weigh myself correctly (no clothes, early morning) I've gained 13 pounds, which I thought was good. But guess not....

Brian Shawn 15 years old; Ethan Jonathon 10 years old; Greyson Conrad 5 years old; Keegan Ryan 3 years old

• Options

Psh! I almost hit the doctor I seen the other night, they weigh me at 7:30 at night waering a coat and boots. Tells me I've gained too much weight and that I need to see a dietress. I left there in tears! Angry. Then she proceeds to give me a d@mn cookie! Seriously!?! When I weigh myself correctly (no clothes, early morning) I've gained 13 pounds, which I thought was good. But guess not....

Brian Shawn 15 years old; Ethan Jonathon 10 years old; Greyson Conrad 5 years old; Keegan Ryan 3 years old

• Options

I am 5ft 4in, and started at 141 and I've gained 16 pounds in 21 weeks. My doctor is going to yell at me when I go in on Wednesday. I'm hoping to gain no more than 25 pounds this time (last time I got up to 30 at 36 weeks and she made me start attempting to lose).

Sounds like a lot of people doctor's don't care about weight gain much, which I find really surprising.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"