Cincinnati Babies
Options

"Natural" C-Section

I have a high risk pregnancy and will be having a c-section at Good Sam.  Is anyone aware of a OB/GYN who allows or does "natural c-sections"  It's basically where the drape is pulled down after getting the babies head out so that the mom can watch and they the baby is eased out of the womb and immediately placed on Mom's chest.....the wiping of the baby and all nursing care is done on Mom's chest.  There are a few things that need to be modified in surgical process (such as placing EKG leads on sides/back, putting IV in non-dominant arm, etc) but I really want to be able to do this bc it is likely that this will be my only baby.....

Re: "Natural" C-Section

• Options
    Haven't heard of this, but I will say that I had my daughter via vaginal delivery, and had my son four weeks ago with a c-section, and the time I spent away from each of them was minimal for both deliveries. I did get to hold my daughter on my chest for the wipe-down and nursing care, but they still had to take her to the incubator shortly after. With my son, they pulled him out, brought him to the incubator to suction him and wipe him, and brought him over to see me almost immediately. I didn't get to hold him on my chest, but my arms felt very shaky anyway and I was laying at such an awkward angle (on my back) that I couldn't have done much anyway. My husband was able to hold him until my arms were stable enough.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I haven't heard of this either, but with a c section, it only takes 8 minutes from the first cut until your baby is out. So it is a very short time! H was immediately handed baby to hold for me to see and touch. Baby was the cleaned off then given back to H, who held him so that I was almost holding him myself. I know H could have watched it's better that he didn't, he was woozy as it was and one of the doctors took a few graphic pictures of the birth.
    It then takes a bit to stitch you back up, but then baby was handed to me before heading to recovery. So I really was with him and at least touching him the whole time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You are a brave one! As much as I would love to see my little one, the thought of also seeing myself cut open would be too much for me (or my hubby..LOL he can't even handle needles).
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    For my CS at good sam they kept the drape up (DH would have passed out for sure) but they brought him over right away then cleaned him/weighed very fast about 6 feet away and handed him right back.  He was on my chest as I was wheeled out of the OR.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I have heard of it just not sure of any docs in the area doing it. My first thought is to call Dr. Bowens office as he is one of the more natural docs in town. Good luck and hope you can find some who does it. I watched a video on it, I loved it.

If you do find a doc that does it let us all know.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would think that it would be up to your OB and part of your birth plan. I agree that if your doctor will not help you make this happen, Dr. Bowen will be your best bet. I took a childbirth class at Bethesda and the teacher actually told us about this;  some women even remove the baby on their own. But Cincinnati seems to be a little behind on the 'natural childbirth train." Good luck. Let us know what your doctor says about this. 
  • Options
    I was high risk with a c section too.  I am going to bet with high risk, they almost always bring a team for the baby as a precaution.  They check everything out and give the care that is needed.  I was handed my baby on the stroll out of the surgery.  My h was able to take pics and show me.  However health and safety was our only concern at the time. 
    imageimage
  • Options
    I had a natural c-section with my second baby in April of this year and it was such an awesome experience.  They lifted the head of the bed up so I could see her being pulled out (i didn't see myself cut open or anything like that) and then they put her directly on my chest for skin to skin contact and it was awesome.  If you have the chance I would definitely recommend it.  She was also supposed to be in recovery with me the whole time but they couldn't get her or my temperature up, so we had to be separated for a bit.  Good luck to you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"