Pre-School and Daycare
Options

interesting thing about food choices. ..

We went a little community fair w/ DD this weekend and they had a nutritionist from the local hospital at one of the tables. He had a bunch of play food items and told DD to pick out what she wanted to have for lunch. She picked out a bunch of stuff and then they went through it together - and she actually made a pretty balanced (if huge!) meal.

Anyway. .. the guy was telling me stuff I'd already heard about how to build healthy habits - let the kids help with meal planning and grocery shopping, food prep, setting the table, etc. but he also made some suggestions I hadn't heard that I thought people might appreciate:

Let you LO go get the food in the grocery store - tell them to find the bananas or whatever, and pick 5 and put them in the cart and pay for them.

He also suggested using geography when they are a little older - pick a country on the globe or a state and talk about either what they eat or grow there and then go look for it at the grocery store.

He also recommended making a family cookbook w/ your LO - where you photograph LO's favorite foods or them making (helping make) their favorite foods and then have them make pictures or write down the recipes.

He also recommedned letting your LO actually plan a whole meal once in a while.

ETA paragraphs.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: interesting thing about food choices. ..

• Options

Thanks!! Those are really cute ideas!

It's funny, bc this weekend DD and I made cupckaes together for the first time (well first time she could really help). Not exactly healthy, but we only make them a few times a year, so there hasn't been an opportunity. Anywho, I took pics of her doing each step. I'd love to put together a family recipe book, so cool!

• Options
    Great suggestions...I'm going to try these!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Very cute and man that reminds me of the festival in Columbia that I meant to go to but forgot about :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for the ideas!
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"