Eco-Friendly Family
Options

teething necklaces and safety

Hi everyone. I have a question about teething necklaces. I thought it'd be a good idea to get one to wear because my little one loves playing with other peoples jewelry and I thought a safe necklace for her to chew on would be good.

As I looked into buying one I see lots of pictures of babies wearing them. So, for those who have used that kind: do you feel there is a strangulation risk? are the individual beads tiny so that if the necklace breaks and a bead gets swallowed, it will just pass? do they just wear them when they are teething or all the time? are they supposed to chew on them or is the teething relief from the energy of the stones?

thanks for any help :)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: teething necklaces and safety

• Options

I assume you're referring to Amber teething necklaces? If yes, then they are not meant to be chewed. The pain relief is supposed to come from a natural analgesic released into the skin from pure amber. It should be short enough to hide under babies chin so that they won't chew on it or play with it (but not so short that it's too tight around their necks). A child being able to chew/play with the necklace w/ increase the risk of strangulation or breakage. Most amber necklaces are knotted in between amber beads so that if it does break, only one bead falls off instead of the whole necklace. But the beads are so small that I doubt a child would choke on one if it were swallowed.

If you want a necklace for your LO to chew on, get a silicone or wood one to wear yourself and allow baby to chew/play with it under direct supervision.

If you want to try amber, get one from a reputable company. Supposedly there are a lot of fakes out there. My DS has been wearing his from Inspired by Finn since he was 4 months old day and night, he is now 17 months old with 16 teeth and teething hasn't been that bad for us. It was sized correctly for him and he has never really noticed it. However, evidence about these things is purely anecdotal, take it fwiw.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Check out Momma's Jewels.  They are sterling silver necklaces that you would wear while holding your baby.  Your baby can teethe on them or play. Sterling silver has been around for ever.  They are gorgeous and my baby loved it!  They are safety tested, I checked. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you want something that you can wear and your baby can chew on look into chewbeads -- made of natural silicone. Click
  • Options

I had a necklace that I wore for DS to play on that was very safe. 

DS also has worn an amber teething necklace from Inspired By Finn since he was 2 months old (so for 28 months now).

It helps tremendously for us. At first I neurotically tried to take it off for every nap, but of course a 2 month old falls asleep at times without warning. He was fine. It is just like if you were to put on a bead necklace and fall asleep...I don't think you could harm yourself if you tried.

The well-made amber teething necklaces are knotted between each bead, so if it does break only one bead would be an issue. It is small enough it would likely be swallowed (or lost!) with no risks. While it is certainly true that it *could* be a choking risk, I think the chances are quite low.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Jazzy Dan's diapers on Etsy just started making necklaces. They use big wood beads, too big to swallow and choke on. They also knot fabric around each bead for safety. I just ordered one :)
    BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"