Single Parents

Wake up call!

So the XH (as of last month whoot!) officially stopped paying child support and now Im feeling an overwhelming sense  of responsibility for my LO. Ive been  working a retail job and pay not that great with a promotion somewhere in the future. I finally had a melt and realized I now need a new job. I want a set scheduale and better opportunities. I have no education and just want to work for a company I can grow with. Ive  been with the same company since I was 18 and the thoguht of leaving  is paralizing but I realize its time and I have to take of my LO.

Any encouragment would be great. I have barely any skills so I know this will be a challenge but  I need to grow up stat!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Single mama - beautiful baby - learning to live

Re: Wake up call!

• Given that the economy is bad and jobs are hard to come by, I might first look inside of your current company.  Is there a job you want within that company?  One that would give you the steady hours and improved pay you need to provide for your child?  If there is, find out how you can get that job.  Ask to have a sit down with your manager or even another level up - tell them that your situation has changed and you have different priorities now.  Tell them that you really enjoy working at their company and appreciate the faith they showed in you by hiring you in the first place.  Give three examples of how you have gone above and beyond in the past 6 months or have shown leadership ability.   Ask them what you need to do to get that better job.  Perhaps there is manager training.  Or a 6 month probationary period you might have to complete.  Ask to be considered for that better job.  Ask and you just might receive.

Obviously, don't quit your current job or even hint that you might leave until you have something else lined up.  While there might not be better job at your current company right now, something could open up in 3 months and you want to be tops on their mental list for candidates.

But let's say there is nowhere to go in your current company.  Time to evaluate your options.  Look at local jobs.  Do you have the skills to get hired for those jobs?  Do you have friends who are already working at those companies who can help you get a foot in the door?  If you take a class in a particular piece of software, will you improve your chances of getting a job there? 

Good Luck!

• FWIW, I also work in retail. I started as an associate and pestered my bosses regularly for more responsibility and a promotion. A year later I was promoted to manager. Nearly 8 years of working for this company and I have held nearly every management position available and am the assistant store manager. The point of this is that even though retail hours suck BIG TIME, especially around the holidays, there can be a lot of opportunity there, even without a degree. For example, one manager that reports to me not only doesn't have any college, but also doesn't have her high school diploma or even a GED. She also started as an associate and did a really good job. If the particular company you work for doesn't have much growth opportunity available, you can always check larger retail stores. Use your experience to negotiate the highest pay you can because with some places, raises, even those associated with promotions, are done as a percentage increase of your current pay. Also, if you talk to your manager and explain what you're dealing with, he or she might be willing to work with you a bit on your schedule. I don't recommend being inflexible because that rarely works well in retail, but the few times I've asked for consideration I've received it. Splitting from my H is one of those times and it's been a lifesaver.. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Try talking to your boss about a raise now. If you have been their for years they should be willing to work with you if your a great employee. Also, are you getting child support through the state? cause if so they will garnish his wages. If he doesn't have a job then he can be penalized in other ways.

Good luck hun.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Im working on getting a county job - as far as talking to my management thats not really possible. I work for a HUGE corporation and you have just bust your a** for a promotion and asking for a better scheduale is a joke. I am required to work weird hours.

I started looking and am just being patient until I find the right fit.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Single mama - beautiful baby - learning to live
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"