Health & Exercise
Options

Exercise and spotting during early pregnancy!

Hi ladies!

I am an avid exerciser, running, spinning, weight lifting etc!  I actually teach group exercise and have been very active for more than 2 years now.  I am now pregnant and have been told to continue with my regimen, and of course I know not to add anything new that is very rigorous.

I started spotting on Friday night and am wondering if exercise could have brought it on? (Dark brown spotting with slight cramping---almost 8 weeks pregnant)  Friday I was VERY tired--but this has me questioning everything. I really dont want to change my routine until I really have to--I want a healthy baby, but I want to stay healthy to be able to support him/her!

Any advice? I am worried about my little bean.   

Re: Exercise and spotting during early pregnancy!

• Options
    For me, I'd take it easy for a few days to see if it decreases or goes away.  But...  while PG, a healthy baby is more important than exercise to me.
  • Options
    Thanks! And I totally agree that a healthy baby is more important, but I was advised that I could continue with my regular activities and to listen to my body. I have been taking it easy all weekend and plan to do the same tomorrow and hopefully into Tuesday as well.  :)   Planning to readjust my schedule at least until I go to my appointment and get the clear that everything is progressing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My dr told me to hold off on working out until I have no more spotting.
  • Options

I was running, walking, and going to the gym regularly early in my pregnancy when I too experienced spotting after a run. 

I called my OB and she told me to try a week of rest (no sex or exercise) and to call if it did not go away.  It went away in a couple of days and I gradually ramped my exercise back up but stayed away from anything more high impact (no step arobics or running) and stuck to walking, elliptical machine and got a prenatal strength video.  I have not had any problems since. 

I would recommend changing your routine to make it more baby-friendly until you see what you can tolerate.  Running was not worth the health of my child and I figured I can get back to it as soon as she is born. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagespainy17:

I was running, walking, and going to the gym regularly early in my pregnancy when I too experienced spotting after a run. 

I called my OB and she told me to try a week of rest (no sex or exercise) and to call if it did not go away.  It went away in a couple of days and I gradually ramped my exercise back up but stayed away from anything more high impact (no step arobics or running) and stuck to walking, elliptical machine and got a prenatal strength video.  I have not had any problems since. 

I would recommend changing your routine to make it more baby-friendly until you see what you can tolerate.  Running was not worth the health of my child and I figured I can get back to it as soon as she is born. 

This. What is stopping you from listening to your body and taking it easy? You would second guess yourself if you lost your baby.

• Options

I would take it easy and listen to your body.  With DD I was able to do much more vigorous exercise (until I hit 3rd trimester ) and I was fine.  This time around due to a MC earlier this summer and low progesterone my doc has advised I do no more than walking until I get through my first trimester, then we'll take it from there.  To me, you only go through this a couple times in life (if that) and why risk it.

I know  some ladies can get competitive (strangely enough) and will brag they did this and that.  When I told them I had to stop (in my 3rd tri) because I was feeling pains my doc said were not good pains to be feeling (ie not good for baby) they seemed to be in disbelief and thought maybe I was just being lazy because THEY didn't get those pains.  In the end their opinions don't matter.  What matters is I have a happy healthy daughter now:)  After I'm done having children (which is after #2!) I have the rest of my life to beat my body back in shape.   

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 09/2009 * EDD 6/19/2010 * Born 6/12/2010

BFP#2 6/03/2012 * EDD 2/09/2013 * MC @ 5w2d 6/13/2012

BFP#3 8/30/2012 * EDD 5/16/2013

• Options
    I had the exact same problem early on in my pregnancy. I had to lay off running for about 2 weeks before it finally stopped. I felt like a lazy slug and wanted to get back to working out but I held off and just did some easy elliptical workouts and light weights. It finally went away completely. I know how you feel though!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"