School-Aged Children
Options

How do you address your child's teacher?

Do you address them as "Mr. Johnson, Mrs. Johnson, etc." or use their first name when speaking to them? 

I've been saying "Mrs. Johnson." But I've heard other parents call her by her first name.  I don't think either is wrong but I want to make sure I show respect and that's how we talk about my DD's teacher when at home.  Am I being too formal? Since my DD is in Kindy I'm still in the learning curve on these things.

For instance, should I call her "Mrs. Johnson" in front of the kids but its just an adult conversation call her by first name?  She has never formally stated what to call her.  But her newsletters come home signed "Sue Johnson."

DD#1 5 years DD#2 3 years

Re: How do you address your child's teacher?

• Options
    I have always addressed my children's teachers as Mr/Ms/Miss/Mrs XYZ.  I also expect them to address me as Mrs. XYZ.  I do not want a friend relationship with them I want it to be on a professional level.
  • Options

I send all communication signed Mrs. ******** and address parents as Mr./Mrs/.Ms.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS kindergarten teacher (and all the other kindergarten teachers) go by Mrs. Firstname.  That's how I was introduced to her and that's what the kids call her.  I would never not use the 'Mrs' unless she told me not too. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In front of the kids we call each other Mrs. but when it's just us we use first names.  I volunteer in the classroom at least 8hrs/wk so it's not like we never see/talk to each other (in which case I'd probably stick with Mrs.).
  • Options

You can never go wrong with Ms./Mrs. Johnson.  I would switch to first name if the teacher specifically said, "Oh, please call me Jennifer," or whatever.  If a teacher explicitly asked to be addressed by a first name, I would respect that.

I am also a teacher, and I rarely have parents call me by my first name.  I wouldn't be offended; it would just seem a little too personal, given the nature of our relationship.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    When I email DD's kindy teacher, I use her 1st name,  If I see her at pick-up (the kindy kids that don't take the bus are walked to the pick-up door by the teachers for now, that will change in the spring when they get to come on their own), I address her by Miss (last name) since the kids are around (If I happen to talk to her, most days its just a smile or some form of acknowldegment that I have my DD).  I have always done the same with the PreK teachers.  I keep it formal for the kids but given that we are all adults, I don't think I need to be formal in our private one on one conversations.  The Principal has the kids call her Dr EB (she has a long hypnated name and its way to hard for most kids to remember.  She has told the parents we can do the same or use her 1st name.  I honestly don't remember her full last name since I never use it and never hear anyone else use it.  She will use it when she speaks to groups in a formal setting but not casually
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    Thanks for your insight!
    DD#1 5 years DD#2 3 years
  • Options
    I address DD's teacher the way that she introduced herself to me. In front of DD I call her Mrs x, but when children are not in earshot and via our email communications I use her first name. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I address my kids' teachers by Ms. Mr. ___
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image Mom to 4, pregnant with 2
  • Options
    imageKdgTeacher:

I send all communication signed Mrs. ******** and address parents as Mr./Mrs/.Ms.

I'm a teacher too.  So I send home all communication as Mrs. *****. But, when introducing myself to a parent in person, or at conferences, I always use my first name.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• Options
    I address DS1's teacher as Mrs. lastname. I (and she) sign any of our written correspondences as  Firstname Lastname but she does also refer to me as Mrs. lastname when addressing me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"