October 2011 Moms
Options

question for the bakers...

I'm trying to make a pumpkin shaped cake that I saw on pinterest. Basically, you bake two bundt cakes and stack them one on top of the other so that they make a round pumpkin-like shape. I found a great pumpkin spice cake recipe. Its supposed to be baked in a 9x13 pan at 350F for about 30 minutes. When I tried to bake it in the bundt pan, it took a lot longer and I think the edges are a little burnt. Any advice as to how to adjust the time/temp? Should I have lowered the temp to 300 or something?
                               Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: question for the bakers...

• Options

I'm my by  know means a bundt expert but I will give this a whirl.

First they say you should not have to adjust your oven temperature for a bundt cake.  Bundt cakes do tend to take a long time to bake.  Like 45-60 minutes.

I would try a specific bundt cake recipe...like this one (I usually have great luck with taste of home recipes)

https://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Pumpkin-Bundt-Cake-2

You could play around with temps but I don't think it will help, and you may end up with a low rising cake.  

I would also look at your previously baked cake do the edges soften after the cake has cooled  and it is covered up?  

Good luck, it sounds like a super cute idea! (I may have to steal this some time)

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Options

Thanks Penny. When I woke up this morning, it didn't look burnt. The edges had softened up nicely overnight as you suggested. I think I'll stick to my recipe for now (don't want the top half of the pumpkin to look different from the bottom since this will be DD's smash cake for her 1 year photos) but will find a bundt specific recipe next time.

Is it usually true that you shouldn't alter the temperature? What about for cupcakes? Is it just the time that gets adjusted? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageDoctorWorm222:

Thanks Penny. When I woke up this morning, it didn't look burnt. The edges had softened up nicely overnight as you suggested. I think I'll stick to my recipe for now (don't want the top half of the pumpkin to look different from the bottom since this will be DD's smash cake for her 1 year photos) but will find a bundt specific recipe next time.

Is it usually true that you shouldn't alter the temperature? What about for cupcakes? Is it just the time that gets adjusted? 

Typically it is time that gets adjusted  not temp.  If you are using dark metal or glass you should lower the temp by 25 degrees because different material conduct heat differently. 

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"