Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Tablet for almost 4 year old? Other than iPad

I had posted the other day about what to get my DS...leap pad, inimitable or tablet and I think I'm leaning more toward the tablet but I don't want to get something as expensive as an iPad. I would love any suggestions!

Re: Tablet for almost 4 year old? Other than iPad

• Options

We have an ipad but I have heard good things about the kindle fire.

I heard rumors about an ipad mini coming out before the holidays (similar size to the kindle fire). I am holding out for that for DD

BFP #1 4/6/09; EDD 12/6/09; miscarriage 4/10/09..............BFP #2 5/3/09; DD born 1/9/10........BFP #3 12/15/12, EDD 8/31/13; baby stopped growing at 5w3d; natural miscarriage..........BFP #4 2/8/13, EDD 10/20/13; missed miscarriage discovered 9w2d; d/c.......BFP #5 10/22/13, EDD 7/8/13; miscarriage 10/28/13..... BFP #6 11/19/13; DS born 7/29/14 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    We got the Innotab 2 for my son for Xmas so he hasnt played with it yet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageAmandaP678:
    We got the Innotab 2 for my son for Xmas so he hasnt played with it yet.

We are doing the same. He plays with DH's iPad now, so I really can't justify getting a preschooler his own tablet. There really aren't any parental controls on a traditional tablet, which is my biggest concern. Before iOS updated, one of the apps on the iPad was YouTube... it's been eliminated now. DS LOVED watching nursery rhyme videos, but would occasionally stumble upon a rap music video or something else totally inappropriate. And that was with our supervision. I can't imagine what he would end up accidentally finding if he had free reign with his own tablet.

ETA: I have the Kindle Fire and it's not that great. I think it's harder to operate than the iPad, so I'm mot sure that would work well for a child either. DS never really tried to use it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS got a Lenovo Ideapad for his birthday and he loves it.  I wouldn't recommend that specific one b/c i've had lots of problems with figuring it out but the idea of a tablet is good.  You could also use it and DS watches youtube videos.  Didn't figure out how to download movies yet though but that would be a great addition to it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DS loves my Kindle Fire and has no problems using it. I might get myself a Kindle Fire HD and give him my Kindle Fire for Christmas. There are apps you can get that run a "kid mode" and you can set up what apps they have access to and they can't get on the internet, YouTube, etc.
    Gabriel :: Born on his due date - 9/19/09 :: 9lb 8oz, 21"Birth Storysig4 copyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have a kindle fire and I love it but have had some trouble with it also. I had it for less then a year and it wouldnt charge anymore-They do have a good return policy (can return it for another one within a year) I have a different one and am having the same problem.

I dont know that I would want to spend the money on one for a child who isnt going to be as careful with theirs.

• Options

I have a Nook Color and both my kids love using it (and they both know how on their own). 

A friend just told me the other day about this tablet https://www.meeptablet.com/us/ .    Only thing is, it appears to be brand new and has a few kinks to work out, if you read reviews.  But, maybe by Christmastime those'll be fixed.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I would look into the Nabi for sure. They have a website and a page on Facebook that is super informative! check it out
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"