August 2011 Moms
Options

Speaking of talking..

When Sophia says her 3 words (Da, mamma and Dom), it seems like it takes a lot of effort to get the word out. I don't know how to explain it other than it is almost physically hard for her to speak and you can even see the little vein in her neck. When your LOs speak, do they speak with ease or is it the same as Sophia?

Re: Speaking of talking..

• Options

I wouldn't say my DD says words with ease or with a lot of difficulty. She will not say a word when it is requested of her. Just randomly. Like when I ask her to say cat she will just look blankly at me but if she sees the cat she will yell "CAT!"

Don't over think it too much, she is just figuring it out right now! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yeah DS babbles non stop.  And the words he has he uses easily and often.   Ihear "up" all.day.long.  Out of bed - up, out of his high chair - up, he wants to be picked up - up........  But other words he doesn't use so easily - bye bye, down/done.  Dada is another easy one and I hear it often throughout the day. 
    I think like any other milestone they will develop their language skills at their own pace and ease.  It takes a while for them to figure their mouths out and then to figure out how to move their mouths to produce the right sounds, and then for their brains to understand exactly what that sound means. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's the way she tries to say her words. It seems to take a lot of physical effort to actually spit the word out. Have you encountered someone with a stuttering issue? If so, it's almost like that. But not the stuttering part. I'm sure I'm not making a whole lot of sense right now. Thanks for listening to my nonsense:|
  • Options
    imageshanado:
    It's the way she tries to say her words. It seems to take a lot of physical effort to actually spit the word out. Have you encountered someone with a stuttering issue? If so, it's almost like that. But not the stuttering part. I'm sure I'm not making a whole lot of sense right now. Thanks
    for listening to my nonsense:|
    She babbles just fine, it's only when she tries to say an actual word.
  • Options
    Sometimes it seems hard for M, other times it's like it just flies out.  The one thing she says most clearly is "uh-oh," and sometimes it seems like she's having a hard time coordinating her lip movements, so sometimes it's more like, "ooh-ooh," or, "ah-ah."  I think it's just part of motor skill development, a little time should do the trick.

// I love you too. //

• Options
    It sounds like she may be thinking how to say the word, like how to move her mouth (lips and tongue) to get the right sound out.  Kind of like when we have to stop to think of the right word? 
  • Options

I think I know what you mean.  M doesn't do it all the time, but she has recently started trying to make a "g" sound, and she seems like she is physically struggling a bit.  Not like it hurts her, but like she is putting physical effort into making the sound, if that makes sense.  I think it's because all her other sounds - "m", "b", and "d" words - all come from the front of her mouth, her lips and tongue.  Whereas a "g" sound comes from her throat.  So I think she is just trying to figure out how to make the sound. 

Sooo...maybe Sophia is just feeling out the sounds, physically, as she says them? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I get what you're saying, but I haven't seen dd do that. That's not helpful, I know.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"