2nd Trimester

bartholin cyst...kinda gross

I have a bartholin cyst fluid filled cyst in bartholin gland, on side of vagina... my Dr gave me antibiotics, but I don't think they're doing anything. At this point it's become very painful. The nurse at my doctor's office said hot compresses until it reaches the surface, but it's SO far under the skin I don't think it will ever reach the surface. They did say that they can drain it at the office, but I literally am not free work and grad school commitments until Friday after work.

My question is, has anyone found pain relief in a situation like this? Tylenol doesn't help.

Also, is it safe to wait until then to go into the office?

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: bartholin cyst...kinda gross

• So unfortunately I am prone to these. They aren't an infection, so antibiotics don't do anything. Sadly you have to wait them out, use compresses. Once popped they are immediately better. I've just learned to live with them :-( Sorry. It sucks. 
    My little boy: 3/8/13
    Baby #2 due 8/17/17 
  • Does it feel like yours are more on the surface or in deep?And about how long do you usually have them?

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • They start deep and small, grow, come to the surface and then either pop or resorb by themselves. I've had them popped when i happen to have an appointment when i  have one, once I sterilized a needle and did it myself (don't recommend it, but it worked and darn did it feel better) but really I just let them resolve. Some are worse than others. Usually 2 weeks from start to finish. I've never had a complication or an infection. Sorry. Really not fun. Apparently my long distance running/friction along with my special self don't make a good combo- that's what the dr says. 
    My little boy: 3/8/13
    Baby #2 due 8/17/17 
  • I get these too.  I haven't had one in about six months though, which is a record!  I get it in the same spot every single time.  They hurt!!  Honestly, the best way I've found to deal with it is to just pop it myself.  I asked the OB last time I was pregnant if that would cause an issue and she said it should be fine.  So, I just suck it up and grab the dang thing and squeeze as hard as possible.  It hurts like hell, and then it's all better after that, a little sore for a few days, but fine.  I think it would probably be best to find a way to clear your schedule and go have them drain it at the office since you are also pregnant.  They can cauterize the little tube that gets clogged and causes them to form too.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I don't know if this is exactly what I've had, but I have had a cyst on my outer labia before (twice). It did not ever come to a head, but I did try to pop it anyway. Big mistake. Ha. It hurt SO badly and just made it sore. Both times, it went away on it's own after a few days. It was also in the same position when it came back (but it was years later).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Ugh, I am prone to them too. Tylenol and warm baths help with the pain my doctor has said that she could drain them but I had one pop before and it was so unbelievably painful!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • I get the same periodically, but I have found a pattern with the type of underwear I use.  If it has a tight spandex between the vagina and the inner leg joint then the panty tends to be rubbing there all day and can activate the cyst.  If you wear loose panties and try not to sleep with any on then it tends to alleviate faster...hope this helps!
  • I'm so sorry.  I know exactly what you're going through.  I put off dealing with mine because I didn't know what it was.  I waited probably 4 or 5 days and by then it was soooo swollen that it was extremely painful getting in and out of the car.  I went to the ER and they drained it there.  OMG!  That was absolutely amazing how much it hurt.  They ended up putting a balloon in it to keep it open so it didn't fill up again.  I can't remember if they gave me meds (I'm thinking they did) but I do remember they told me to make sure I had warm baths several times a day for a couple of weeks.  I followed up with my GYN several days later and after two appointments, she removed the balloon (that didn't hurt at all). 

Knock on wood, I haven't had another one.  But wow, that was AWFUL!  It was about 10 months ago now, I guess.

I hope you can get some relief from it soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I started getting them in high school. I just have learned to live with them, fortunately, I haven't had one in a while.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This happened to me just a few weeks ago!  Well, I am sure it's what it is though I ended up not going to the doctor for it, but I amr eally sure it was that.

For me I did hot sitz baths three times a day and just gave it a couple days to go back to normal.  That worked for me but there were a couple really painful days in there.  I didn't take any pain meds.  Hope it clears up soon! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"