Nurseries and Baby Gear

Kirkland Laundry Detergent

Do I really need to buy Dreft or can I use the Kirkland Free & Clear laundry detergent on my baby's clothes?

Re: Kirkland Laundry Detergent

• Any  of the Free and Clears will do.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • All of the Free/Clear ones will be enough.  And you might not even need to do that. It was a pain to wash baby's stuff separately and before switching everyone to a more expensive/more natural detergent I threw some onesies in with our stuff and tried it out. No rashes or anything! So we just kept things business as usual.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We switched the whole house to Kirkland F&C 1-2 months before DS was born and also switched to dryer balls instead of fabric softener....everything gets clean and DS never had any rash or reactions.  I think any "free and clear" detergent is just fine....I feel like Dreft is a scam to scare new moms into buying pricey detergent.

Just a side note, I'd recommend having one detergent for everyone, because if your LO is going to have a reaction, holding them against your shirt or laying them on a blanket washed in a perfumed detergent could cause it as well. 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We use this for everyone's laundry it works fine no reactions at all!
  • We use Kirkland Free & Clear for all of us now - having a baby made us switch.  It's good for us all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Awesome to hear!  Other FTM get so caught up in Dreft but it doesn't seem to make sense to me.  Thanks for the help.
  • Dreft is so perfumed I don't get why people think it's better for their baby than any other normal detergent.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We buy whatever laundry detergent is on sale and it always works out just fine for both kiddos.  I don't even bother with free and clear ...

BUT I know some adults/babies have sensitive skin, just none of us do. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

• My DH has eczema so I always use free clear anyway. There are lots of brands that sell it now that are inexpensive like Purex or A&H.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Like PP's said, any free and clear detergent is fine. We personally use the Ecos brand of detergent (from Costco) and it lasts forever. They have coupons or sales fairly regularly so it is pretty inexpensive. We love that it doesn't really have a scent and is natural (although I'm not sure how that compares exactly with free and clear - it's free of dyes and perfumes, but does have natural components which some people may still be sensitive to I suppose). We use it for the whole family and haven't had any problems.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLeinistar:
    Dreft is so perfumed I don't get why people think it's better for their baby than any other normal detergent.

Exactly! I don't even see how they can market it for babies.  It has just as much scent and chemicals as regular detergent.  I guess for some people, if the commercial says it's "gentler" then they believe it.  It's the same with Johnson's and baby magic crap "Gentle on their eyes as pure water...tear free" yeah, that's because there is a chemical to NUMB their eyes if it gets in there!  

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"