January 2013 Moms
Options

STM: When did you pack your hospital bag?

I always put things off to the last minute but I cant believe that a lot of us are going into their 3rd trimester really soon.

When did you pack your hospital bag last time? Did you overpack? Anything you are going to add this time that you didnt last time?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: STM: When did you pack your hospital bag?

• Options

Oh man, I don't even remember.  Things I was glad I packed:  food for DH and the laptop.

Things I should have packed:  a smaller outfit for LO!  He was over 8 lbs, but the newborn outfits were sooo big.  A pair of baby nailclippers.  The hospital wouldn't clip them or provide clippers, so we had to go out and buy some.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i WAAYYYY over packed. i wore the hospital gowns the whole time i was there, other than the day i came home so all the clothes/pj's i packed were just in the way of everything else i was always digging for! i personally had a really hard/painful first time labor and ended up in a csection so i really wasnt feeling up for getting dressed and having many visitors, so i just wore the gowns. Also i brought all this junk to "keep me busy" like magazines and a deck of cards and books and stuff that i NEVER touched bc whenever i had free time, i slept! lol. Everyone is different, and it also depends on if your DH is staying at the hospital w/ you or if hes goin home at night. Bc if hes going home at night, i wouldnt go crazy packing stuff, bc he can always bring you something you wanted or forgot. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I didn't pack until pretty late.  Maybe even like 38 weeks or so. 

I definitely overpacked.  Well, I guess maybe I didn't.  I would probably pack the same stuff again, but like... I planned to go and get the epidural and we were going to hang out and watch movies and play cards and stuff because that's how everyone I know has always handled labor.  And... that's not at all how it worked out.  So, I used pretty much nothing from my bag.  Including the PJs and stuff.  I didn't even use my toiletries until the day I went home and I left in the same outfit I came in in. :/  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

I went on bed rest for pre-e at 34 weeks. I packed my bag at about 35 weeks after my first appointment after the pre-e was dx'd because they told me at any time that I could end up in the hospital with an outside baby. I went into the hospital at 37 weeks & didn't leave alone! We had a feeling it might happen (even though I was just going in for a BP check up in the doc's office in the hospital) so we threw my bag in the trunk that morning. I was glad it had been ready already!

If I ended up with pre-e again I will follow the same idea, pack all the basics right then.

If I don't, then I will pack my bag around 38 weeks. (which is when my RCS will be if my previa doesn't clear up).

Things I packed, no I didn't over pack IMO:
    2 pair of yoga pants, tops, sports bras. My own underwear & my own pads (always overnight). I had the travel size of all bathroom products needed. I had my camera w/charger, computer with charger, phone with charger. Slippers for walking the halls. 2-3 outfits for Grayson in different sizes, a blanket for him for when we were leaving (it was Feb). My mom brought me a little pillow for my belly the next day. I have an unscheduled c/s so I didn't know I would need it!

I got up at 7am the next morning (c/s was at 4:16pm the day before). I showered, put on all my own stuff and never looked back. It was wonderful. I hated everything the hosptial had. The pads, the underwear, didn't like any of it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had my bag packed by 38 weeks. I had gowns for LO, going home outfit for LO and me, slippers, clothes for me, breastfeeding pillow, nail slippers, toiletries, snacks, camera, phone, computer, pillow....I'm sure some other things too!! I am an sober packer I guess, but I used it all and if I dident, I liked knowing that I had it if I did need it!!
    DS #1 10/21/06 DD #2 04/11/10 DS #3 01/28/13 Edd #4 08/28/15 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I am a FTM, but I plan on starting to pack mine around 30-32 weeks. I like to be prepared, and if I do happen to go early, I'll be way too panicked to think clearly about what I might need to bring. 
    K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Double check and see what the hospital does and doesn't provide, especially since you aren't in the States.  Since I know how the German hospitals are like here, I have a better idea of what to pack.  I will bring my own pillow since the ones there are so flat and small.  My own towel, pjs and clothes since the hospital won't provide one after labor, slippers to walk around with.  Things to keep me entertained such as the computer and my kindle, snacks, water, and a going home outfit for LO.  The hospital did have the mesh undies and pads, but I will probably bring one or two of my own of each.  

My bag will probably be packed at 34-35 weeks since I had DS at 36 weeks very unexpectedly.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I packed (or rather, had H pack, since I was on bedrest) at 35 weeks. 

Things I wish I had:

-my toothbrush (totally forgot to grab it when we were rushing out of the house.  The hospital provided me with one, but it was AWFUL)                                     

-Boppy

-robe

-extra bags (to bring home gifts)

I didn't need the playing cards, Nintendo DS, or the novel that I brought to pass the time. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I packed around 36 weeks and I WAAAAY overpacked. I brought a ton of stuff to help with labor and literally didnt open my bag during labor as I got there during transition (which was a good thing!!). I think its better to overpack and be prepared though.

Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I had to go to L & D for monitoring at 28 weeks.  I was there for 3-4 hours.  After that, I never went to the OB without a book, an iPad, and a phone charger.  I bought my new pajamas at 33 weeks, and packed them.  I went to the hospital at 34 weeks and was diagnosed with pre-e. I kept a bag packed after that.  We went in at 36 weeks 4 days and they delivered DD via csection at 37 weeks.

They recommended nail files for baby at the hospital vs. clippers due to the softness of baby nails and how easy it is to clip a finger. 

I packed 3 sets of pajamas, a dress to wear home, a few baby blankets, a hat/socks for baby, and a going home outfit.  Baby wore hospital shirts until we went home. 

This time, I plan to take clothes for baby to wear most of the time we're in the hospital.  I've done some reading about how easy it is for babies to absorb chemicals in through there skin, and I know those hospital clothes are washed in harsh detergents.  

• Options

I had a list made around 35 weeks.  And some stuff I knew I wouldn't need between then and delivery thrown in my bag by 36-37 weeks.  I didn't really fully pack my bag until my water broke.  If you know what you want to pack and know where it's all located, the actual packing takes all of about 15 minutes - so I'll probably do the same this time.

I overpacked on stuff for me to wear.  I was all ambitious about wearing my cute nursing pajamas at the hospital so I'd be cute in pictures.  Ha.  They were never touched.  I stayed in hospital gowns while I was there. 

The one thing I will definitely bring with my right away this time (last time, DH had to go home and get it) was a nursing pillow.  I could NOT find a comfortable nursing position in the hospital bed and getting the nursing pillow made a world of difference. 

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • Options

Around 36-37 weeks

I'm pretty glad with what I packed, I followed the list my hospital gives you and it was very through; only thing I forgot was my Ipod

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options

imagePrivacyWanted:
    I packed at 32 weeks when I started to have NSTs twice a week because there was always a chance I wouldn't be leaving. I wish I had packed more reading material. I was anti TV so never turned it on. But needed something to do while nursing. This time I'm loading up the kindle before. I had a c/s and changed into my regular clothes by the next day. Sleep nursing bras were a must for me

You know, the thought that something could be wrong at the NST never entered my mind! I start them again this time at 32 weeks... I guess I will pack my bag then! Good idea...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I packed DS's bag at maybe 34/35 weeks? Mine? The day my water broke! At 37 weeks. ;) I'm not going to wait as long this time, LOL.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagestardust317:

I had to go to L & D for monitoring at 28 weeks.  I was there for 3-4 hours.  After that, I never went to the OB without a book, an iPad, and a phone charger.  I bought my new pajamas at 33 weeks, and packed them.  I went to the hospital at 34 weeks and was diagnosed with pre-e. I kept a bag packed after that.  We went in at 36 weeks 4 days and they delivered DD via csection at 37 weeks.

They recommended nail files for baby at the hospital vs. clippers due to the softness of baby nails and how easy it is to clip a finger. 

I packed 3 sets of pajamas, a dress to wear home, a few baby blankets, a hat/socks for baby, and a going home outfit.  Baby wore hospital shirts until we went home. 

This time, I plan to take clothes for baby to wear most of the time we're in the hospital.  I've done some reading about how easy it is for babies to absorb chemicals in through there skin, and I know those hospital clothes are washed in harsh detergents.  

Interesting point. I hadn't thought of this but will plan to pack extra clothing for LO now. 

• Options
    As a FTM, my thought process was to pack a bag around 35 weeks with those items that I won't need on a daily bases such as travel toothbrush for DH and I, bathroom items, some underwear and clothing items. And then I can also pack babies bag and make a list of the items that still need to be placed in the bags. If I have a detailed list, DH could finish the packing if something happened and I had to go into the hospital without going home first.
  • Options

I (over)packed very early! I would've been stressed out if I hadn't had it ready, even though I went past my due date.

I'd say bring your makeup, just to feel human cause you won't be feeling your prettiest! Don't forget chapstick, your lips will be very dry. Bring a few options of outfits. Preemie, newborn, and 0-3 months size, because you never know how much your baby will weigh, or how his/her weight will be proportioned :) 

Don't forget your camera, and maybe your laptop! A pillow is a nice thing to have too 

Beyond that, everything else is just to make you feel more comfortable :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"