Re: SAHMs

• Options

No, I'm jealous of them.

• Options
    imageswimbikepuke:
    imageMrsAxilla:
    imagehoforsho:

Meh.

How much time do you volunteer a week at school? Even if you volunteer a day at a different place, I get the feeling that a bulk of the time spent at home is doing nothing. And I said I judge being lazy. Why wouldn't I take a job and get paid to read a magazine? No one is paying a SAHM to be on the nest and FB all day.

You "get the feeling that a bulk of the time spent at home is doing nothing"?  Well, you'd be wrong.  And it's really none of your gd business.

I think you judge because you're jealous. 

I think I've said this on this topic before, but if I were a SAHM, there would be plenty to do.  I don't get why people assume SAHMs don't do anything.  Because I'm a working mom, I pay someone to clean my house (and it's usually pretty messy anyway), I'm perpetually behind on laundry, I tend to have house maintenance issue pile up until I have to take three days off work to have 15 different contractors come out and fix the toilet, clean the dryer trap, install a new garbage disposal, and clean the furnace.  My kids eat pretty well, but there's a lot of crockpot cooking going on in my house...

If I were a SAHM, my house would be clean, my and my children's laundry would be done, things the broke would be fixed quickly and I would DEFINITELY be much more involved in volunteering at my kids' schools.  I'd say if I were a SAHM, I'd be just as busy as I am now, but would just being different stuff.  

Like "real" workers, some people are lazy and some people are not. SAHMs obviously aren't going to be immune to that. 

You know what else I have time for?  HOBBIES.

JealousE. 

Anything you can achieve through hard work, you could also just buy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageswimbikepuke:

imagehoforsho:
    I only judge the ones that don't plan to return to work once the kids are in school, claiming they have to be home for the kids. Because I think that the 7 hours the kids are in school will be spent on FB and watching TV.

I could totally be a SAHW and find plenty to do other than FB and TV. 

me too, I'm in junior league so could do daytime volunteer placements, I could craft (knit/quilt/sew), read, keep the house spotless (it's clean but with a 2 yr old it's not tidy) volunteer at the school, but most important to me I'd be there when the kids get home to ask about their day, supervise homework etc. so that by the time DH is home we're ready for family time and dinner all the "work" is done for the day. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Look down? No, Im jealous! And was raised by a SAHM, who still stays home. I could argue that there are benefits to having a parent around immediately after school, available for stuff during the school day, able to make it to after-school-but-not-after-work activities, etc. Ive heard horror stories of what trouble DH got into as a latchkey kid so Im comparing two ends of the spectrum here.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options

I was a latch key kid my entire school life and I don't want that for my kids. It wasn't bad but when I was in middle school it gave me ample time to get in trouble. I also volunteer at my kid's school and hope to do more in the future.

So much judgement. Just let people do whatever works. Unless you have a super fulfilling career all of you would probably not work given the chance. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"