School-Aged Children
Options

WWYD -- Two issues w/ 2nd grade teacher

I'm trying not to be too upset about this, because I liked this teacher at BTS night, and -- as a fellow teacher -- I try to always give the teacher the benefit of the doubt.

First Issue:  Her emails are filled with spelling and grammar errors.  Even her presentation at BTS night had spelling mistakes in it.  Now, I can live with a spelling error or a type-o here or there, but I'm not kidding, there's at least one in EVERY communication from her.

Ex. "spelling will not start until next week because of the shorten week ahead." and "This quarter, students will be working on pursuasive writing."

Second Issue: It's the first of October, and they have not started reading groups yet. Last year DS was in the top reading group, working 2 years above grade-level.  They're still doing language arts every day, but it's as a whole class.  They're working on word-wall words, etc.  Seriously, last week one of the books they read as a class was The Grouchy Ladybug.

So, at home my kid is reading Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and The Guardians of Ga'Hoole, and at school he's reading The Grouchy Frickin' Ladybug!

I know there's always a lag at the beginning of the year, and I'm trying to be patient, but I feel like in past years they've started small group instruction before October.  Even my son has said, "Mom -- 2nd grade is SO much easier than 1st grade!"  At what point would you begin asking questions and sending emails?

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade

Re: WWYD -- Two issues w/ 2nd grade teacher

• Options
    When did you start? If you started in Sept I would give it one more week so officially one full month and then send a nice email just telling her your son was asking and as a teacher you know it is annoying but you wanted to ask.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options

Not that it excuses your issues--but maybe the school is changing the curriculum. The school I teach, we are completely overhauling the reading curriculum this year--last year was the writing curriculum, and I know that teachers are still trying to find their way through the early stages of it. 

In the past our school was doing whole group reading, and is just now heading back towards reading groups--they are working on leveling everyone and organizing the groups now.

I would wait a week-especially if you started school in September. 

My daughter is my hero.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thought I would update that just today DS' Kindergarten teacher sent home supplemental work for homework since some kids breeze through the work, so hopefully your teacher will catch up soon.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    On the spelling thing I think you're on your own...  As for the rest, have you considered having your LO tested for possibly the gifted & talented program??  Or even going up a full grade?  It sounds like at some point you're going to run into the problem where they're so overly bored and start to "act out" in some way. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Hmm, for DS 2nd grade has been "no joke".  It has been very tiring for him. 

They started school the day after labor day and the enrichment (gifted) program started about 3 weeks into the school year. 

Cheryl, Evan 4.25.05, Paige 7.2.07
  • Options

DS1 is also reading above grade level and they haven't set up reading groups. Instead, he is allowed to go to the library every day in the morning to pick out a book as long as he has finished his journal assignment. Can you ask if something like that is allowed? He reads along with the rest of the class, but he also has more challenging reading material that he can use during class time.

ETA: And I hear you about the frustration. Our school has a completely new cirriculum, so I know the teachers are still adjusting. But he was sent home with sight words to memorize by the end of the month, and they were words like "a" and "the" and "blue." I'm very happy his teacher is allowing him to go beyond what she needs to teach at the moment so that he doesn't get too bored. Does he say that he's bored? Is he acting out in class?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have no experience with a child in school at this grade level, but this does not sound right to me.  Even if the first day of school was after Labor Day, it's been a few weeks.  It can't hurt to ask when reading groups will start and mention that your son is looking forward to doing more challenging work - put a positive spin on it but let her know you expect him to be given work at a higher level.  

I'm a spelling and grammar freak too, but I don't think there's much you can do about that.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options

imageMesmrEwe:
    On the spelling thing I think you're on your own...  As for the rest, have you considered having your LO tested for possibly the gifted & talented program??  Or even going up a full grade?  It sounds like at some point you're going to run into the problem where they're so overly bored and start to "act out" in some way. 

My daughter can read those books.  She is not gifted.  

@OP  My daughter is in second grade.  They have not sorted out the reading groups yet.  There are 90 students in her grade level.  That is a lot of students to test all the while keeping up with math, science, and social studies.

The spelling would bother me, but I am not sure what you can say or do to rectify the situation.

Smiley: April '05 Rocky: May '06 Tex: July '09
  • Options

The spelling and grammar problems would drive me insane. I think I would have to mention it. I roll my eyes when notes from daycare come home with errors like that but I don't say anything because they a) don't have a college education; and b) aren't teaching my kids how to read and write.

My college roommate used to leave me notes that were so poorly spelled that I could not decipher them... she is now a 2nd grade teacher. While I have no doubt she's fantastic with kids, I am glad she doesn't teach in my city.

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"