School-Aged Children
Options

If you work, what do you do with your children in the summer?

I know before K they would just go to daycare, but what do you do with your 6, 7, 8, 9 year olds?  I've not worked since 6/06, I was a SAHW for a few months before I got pg with DS1, and have been a SAHM ever since.  DH's last day of work is Friday with no job lined up (no, this wasn't by choice).  I haven't really been worried about it until last night, I knew we'd be ok, but what I'm most freaked about is health insurance.  Anyway, I started thinking, what would we do for childcare before the kids are old enough to stay by themselves, but too old for daycare.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
BabyGaga

Re: If you work, what do you do with your children in the summer?

• Options

All of the daycares around here take kids up to age 12 during the summer. They also offer before and after school care.

The last summer I worked, DD1 was in a summer camp program though the YMCA. That starts at age 4. She was also in a before and after school care program that the YMCA ran at our local elementary school.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options

The daycare we used when the kids were little has a school age summer program for kids going into K-5th grade.  We don't plan to use it but I have heard great things about the program - they do a ton of field trips and don't spend much time at the daycare building.

We do a combo of a few things - our school has a great summer program that is open from 6:45am until 6pm and they do a lot of fun things like going swimming and a ton of field trips.  You pay as you use it so we will be there off and on all summer.  The kids will do 3 weeks of daycamp through our Temple and we might do a week at the end of the summer (the school program is closed the 2 weeks before the next school year starts) of the Y daycamp.  We always do some sort of family vacation for a week of summer and we typically spend a week with my parents (they come to us or we go to them) and that is one of the weeks when the kids have no school program.  I have also had my ILs watch the kids for a day or 2 here and there but we don't use them as often.  As my kids get a little older, I have thought about hiring a nanny (college kid) for the summer other than when they are at camp or doing a nanny share type thing with a friend but for now the camp and school programs work great for us.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't know of any daycare around here that doesn't offer summer care for kids in grades K-5th. Kids go to daycare before and/or after school based on their parent's work schedules and the daycare is open full days for them on school holidays - for those random teacher inservice days, for all of spring break, for all summer long.

Middle school is where it gets trickier.

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"