Baby Names

Help with one of my twins' name

Hello All,

I could really use some help here...we are expecting twins late December (scheduled 37 week c-section; success after 3 rounds of IVF using a gestational carrier)....it's been quite a road and I couldn't be happier or more thrilled! I'm just soo stressed over naming my baby girl, so I was hoping to get some input. We are having boy/girl twins which is just so amazing!!! We are positive about our baby boy name: it will be Luca Domenic but are totally on the fence between Lydia Rose or Sofia Rose. We love both names. Sofia has always been a favorite and it is without a doubt, a beautiful and classic name. But we don't like how popular Sophia/Sofia is and my husband came up with Lydia and really likes it. It's different, yet I think it's pretty and I love the nickname Liddy...I know I shouldn't care what other people think, but it's hard not to sometimes. I get really mixed reactions to Lydia. Everyone always loves Sofia. I feel so strongly and LOVE Luca, I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with the girl name. I think it's because I never liked my name and I want her to love her name...ok so please please please give me your honest opinion! Thanks so much! 

Re: Help with one of my twins' name

• I love the name Lydia!  I think that it is beautiful and definitely less common than Sophia.  I think that Luca and Lydia would be an adorable twin set!
    My goal for 2013...Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • While "Luca and Lydia" strikes me as matchy, I far prefer Lydia over another Sofia. I like the name Sophia on the one girl I know with it, but I am so tired of the name, quite honestly. Lydia is a classic and beautiful breath of fresh air.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Personally I prefer Sophia with Luca. I'm just not as big of a fan as Lydia but I do think the nn Liddy is very cute.
  • imageLeah&JP:
    I love the name Lydia!  I think that it is beautiful and definitely less common than Sophia.  I think that Luca and Lydia would be an adorable twin set!

Yes And to add, I think that Liddy is a very cute NN.

• First off, Congratulations!!! As for the name of your baby girl, I like Sophia. I think it goes best with your sons name too, plus it is beautiful! :)

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~ Elizabeth Stone
    "Don't marry a man unless you would be PROUD to have a son exactly like him." ~ Unknown
  • Luca is cute. I like both Lydia and Sofia but I prefer Lydia.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I prefer Sofia/Sophia. I also don't really like twins that have matchy names, Luca and Lydia are too matchy for me.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • I would go with Luca and Sofia, but I don't mind using names that are popular if it is a name you love.  Luca and Lydia are a little too matchy matchy for my taste, but Luca and Sofia go well together.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I like Sofia better with Luca, but I really don't like matchy sibling names, especially twins.  I think Sofia is beautiful!
    Photobucket Photobucket BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageLeah&JP:
    I love the name Lydia!  I think that it is beautiful and definitely less common than Sophia.  I think that Luca and Lydia would be an adorable twin set!
    This. Congrats!

• I love Lydia.  It is on our list.  

I think both sets sound great together.  You cannot go wrong in my opinion.  Just think if Sofia is too popular for you.   

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I think Luca and Sofia are a great sibset. I like Sofia much better with Luca than Lydia. I think it's better to go with what you love rather than choose something less popular just because it's less popular, jmo.
  • Luca and Lydia would be a good twin set, and I prefer it over the way too popular Sophia

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • imagebrookelynpaisley:
    While "Luca and Lydia" strikes me as matchy, I far prefer Lydia over another Sofia. I like the name Sophia on the one girl I know with it, but I am so tired of the name, quite honestly. Lydia is a classic and beautiful breath of fresh air.

This is exactly my reaction.

I love Luca too! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Popularity aside, use the name you love more...

I like Sofia/Sophia better with Luca but Lydia is very pretty!

I absolutely love the name Luca but our last name is DeLuca so obviously it's out of the question.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love Lydia. It's beautiful. Sofia is one of my favorites too but we know so many little Sofias and Sophies that I wouldn't use it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love Luca too and am pretty convinced it will be our boy name as well!  If it's a girl for us, I'm in the same boat - pretty torn and having doubts about all of the favorites.

I do love Lydia, though, even if it's a little matchy with Luca.  The popularity of Sofia bothers me too much to use it, even though it's a beautiful name.  That said, I agree that Luca and Sofia sound nice together, but for me the popularity issue outweighs how well the names go together.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageTripMomma:
    I prefer Sofia/Sophia. I also don't really like twins that have matchy names, Luca and Lydia are too matchy for me.

This!!

BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Tough call, those are both beautiful names.  I wouldn't let popularity sway you from using Sofia. 

But since it's twins I think that Luca and Lydia sound adorable together without being "matchy". 

Congrats!

*Siggy Warning*

About me  2007: Started TTC. 2008: OB prescribed clomid, went to RE and was Dx with PCOS. 2009: IUI #1 w/follitsim and trigger = BFP. B/G Twins born at 33 weeks. 2012: TTC #3, Round 2 of Letrozole w/TI = BFP, missed m/c at 8 1/2 wks. Currently on the bench as we make plans for a new home. Anxious to start TTC #3 within the next year!

• I really love Lydia!

Like you, I would be hesitant to go with Sophia, which seems mega-popular these days.

True story: My DD's name is Tabitha.  This was DH's choice.  Well before we were even ttc, he randomly said one day, "If we ever have a girl, I'd like her to be named Tabitha."  "Fine," I said.  Well fast forward a few years when I was actually pregnant and now committed to this name.  When we told people about it, the reactions to the name were fairly negative.  People thought it was either too "witchy" because of Bewitched, or just too weird.  I started freaking out about it, but my DH was set on it, so I was stuck with the name.  No lie, the moment she was born, I fell in love with the name, just as I did with her.  And once there was an actual human baby along with the name, people seemed to like it a lot more.  

Moral: don't worry too much about negative reactions towards a name before the baby is born.  People are never that negative when the name is attached to an actual child.  If you love a name, go with it. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • image526SadieSadie:

I absolutely love the name Luca but our last name is DeLuca so obviously it's out of the question.

No, no!  Luca DeLuca... it could work [winks].   

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I'm not a huge fan of alliteration in twins' names, but I really love the name Lydia. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Never cared for Lydia, but it sounds pretty paired with Rose. I personally like Sophia Rose (spelling and all) over Lydia Rose though.
    Anniversary
    c Untitled
    My Ovulation Chart
    *TTC #1 since June 2012*
    Married since 10/5/12!

*Me: 25**DH: 45*

*DX: Severe MFI- Low T, Delayed Ejaculation & Azoospermia*
    *Working to improve DH's numbers on Clomid & HCG injects before we can start IVF*
    *SA 1- No sperm* 7/25/12
    *SA 2- No sperm* 10/31/12
  • I'm not generally a fan of Sophia, but nonetheless, I love Lydia/Liddy! Luca and Lydia is a great set!

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love Luca and Lydia. I'm sick of Sophia/Sofia.
    Dx PCOS 09/12
    Married my best friend 10/12/12
    TTC 1 since 10/12
    NTNP Fall 2013 to focus on a healthier lifestyle
    Anniversary

• Lydia is not my style. It reminds me of cat litter. I like Sophia but agree with you regarding popularity.
  • REALLY....did you have to compare the name to cat liter. Your first sentence of not preferring it would have been fine. I guess that's why your name has monster in it. Maybe you need to give birth and get some of those nasty hormones out of you. Thanks to everyone else for thinput electro Input. I appreciate it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"