VBAC
Options

C-Section Pressure in the Final Countdown

Hi Ladies-

Never made a formal introduction here, but have posted a bit and found others' stories inspirational.  I am 41 weeks and 1 day today.  In the last week have been pressured to opt for a c-section for the typical "big baby" card.  I reluctantly agreed to the ultrasound knowing about this issue, because they wanted to rule out "excess" fluid because my fundus was measuring big, but two midwives assured me I had an average sized baby.  Ultrasound estimate was 10ish lbs. and NOW a midwife said upper 9lb range.  I am skeptical because my son was 8 lbs. 4 oz, but long and with a big head.  Based on what I understand about their way of calculating, an average weight baby with a bigger head and longer limbs would measure really big.  Still, no one is saying, "you can do this."  They are saying, "well, maybe if everything is textbook perfect you could end up pushing him out alright..but really you should consider the c-section."

Also, we are now entering the land of induction vs. RCS.  Not a happy place for me to be.  My first c-section was after an EXTREMELY traumatic failed induction, mostly because of a double nuchal cord around DS's neck.  Any words of wisdom or encouragement would be welcomed.

Re: C-Section Pressure in the Final Countdown

• Options

I'm sorry you are entering RCS territory.  It's great they agreed to over 41 weeks, though.

I was induced for my VBAC and had a successful delivery.  Just remember that past deliveries are not a picture of what THIS delivery will be like- they are all different.  Hopefully they let you go naturally, but if not, consider the induction.  In your case, there was an extenuating circumstance with your first birth that will likely not happen again.

And both my babies were considered "big" (over 10 lbs and 8.5).  But people push out big babies all the time.  I am not sure why doctors all of a sudden think women are incapable of pushing out babies. 

Sending you good thoughts!  I hope it all works out for you and you have a positive birth experience either way!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options

Oof, that bites, sorry you're going through this. VBAC moms do NOT need the extra pressure of the "bug baby card" to go with the general stress of planning a VBAC.

If your first c/s was for a double nuchal cord, that's not something that will most likely happen again, and it means nothing about what your chances of a vaginal birth are this time.

If I had to choose, I would do an induction as long I was showing some sort of progress towards labor. How long do you have? 

FWIW, I had a 10.5lb VBAC baby with no problems. My first was the same size as yours, and he was a c/s because of FTP. 

Good luck!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"