August 2011 Moms
Options

Walking??

So...yes all kids have their own time table and blah blah blah. But I am asking just for my own paranoid motherly interest. :-)
When did your LO start walking?? Independently and all the time.

My little guy is 13 months and doesn't seem to care. He takes his steps independently when he wants to but generally drops down to crawl because he knows that is the quickest way. We let him play throughout 2 rooms and have plenty of toys....I don't restrict him or keep him in a jumper or playpen. What should I do?? I know he will when he is ready but I honestly think he is the only one at daycare that is not walking. He only goes 1 day a week, sometimes 2 days.

I know I am just over analyzing but just looking for any input or reassurance. :-)

TIA

Re: Walking??

• Options

He is fine, seriously. The "normal" range for walking is HUGE. Some kids start at 9 months, some at 18 months. Both of mine were at the end of 13 months/ beginning of 14 months.

Don't worry! He will walk, just some kids need a little more time. Every kid is different, he will walk when he's ready. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageRachey1082:

He is fine, seriously. The "normal" range for walking is HUGE. Some kids start at 9 months, some at 18 months. Both of mine were at the end of 13 months/ beginning of 14 months.

Don't worry! He will walk, just some kids need a little more time. Every kid is different, he will walk when he's ready. :)

I keep convincing myself of this and I do believe it but I don't know why I am sooo worried or paranoid. Must be that first child mommy disease lol. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I definitely wouldn't worry!! My Ds started walking about three weeks ago but he was doing exactly what you are describing for a few weeks before the took off. 
  • Options

I think he sounds fine - he's choosing not to walk. DS did that for quite awhile before finally deciding he wanted to walk. If he wants to get somewhere quickly, though, he crawls.

This is how it went for us - He's been cruising on furniture forever. When he was somewhere between 11 and 12 months, we held his hands while he walked - he was doing pretty well with that, but would never take steps on his own. One day a couple of weeks ago he finally took a couple of steps on his own. A few days after that, he walked across his room, and a few days after that, he started walking on his own all over the place.

Once he was stable enough to walk while holding my hand, I'd have him practice pretty often, even if it was a just for a few feet. I don't know if that helped encourage him to take off on his own. We didn't push him, and I'd pick him up or let him crawl when it was obvious he didn't want to walk.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My kid is almost 14 months and not walking yet. Does that help you feel better? :

ETA: mobile bump keeps cutting off my smiley. This was not meant to be snarky.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DD has been doing same as your LO for months. She prefers crawling because it's faster. Sometimes she cheats and walks on her knees. I'm not worried at all. Seriously, you will long for the days when they preferred crawling:)
  • Options

DD is 14 months and nowhere near ready to stand unassisted, let alone take steps unassisted. Even DD1 didn't start taking steps until she was 13 months, and then walked at 14. All this to say I can assure you your kid is fin.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My lil guy just started a few weeks ago.  He was the same way would take a few steps from time to time but never would "walk" well now you can stop him.  It will come!  Enjoy your time with a crawling baby...lol
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • Options
    imagekdawson1315:
    imageRachey1082:

I keep convincing myself of this and I do believe it but I don't know why I am sooo worried or paranoid. Must be that first child mommy disease lol. 

I think you can take "first child" out lol - We ALL want our kids to be "normal" and I think it's only natural to wonder (or maybe even worry) when you see little ones your child's age doing things that your child does not do yet.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Within a week, my daughter went from only taking steps with assitance (holding hands, pushing a chair or walker toy, etc) to walking around independently thoroughout the house (including letting herself out the doggie door to play outside in back -- LOL!) This was just last week, so almost 14 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"