1st Trimester

There's egg yolk in my veggie dip?!

So here I am eating my mound of veggies and  dip then I proceed to read the ingredient list. Egg yolk?!?! Ugh! Is baby going to be okay? Should I avoid this dip now? I never would have thought egg yolk would be an ingredient.
TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary

Re: There's egg yolk in my veggie dip?!

• It may not be raw egg yolk???
    Confirmed Pregnancy 9/18/2010 M/C 10/27/2010 BLIGHTED OVUM 10/2011 - HSG 2 blocked tubes 11/4/2011 - Lap Surgery - Extensive tubal disease (tubes opened) 1/3/12 - Repeat HSG (L tube open, R tube blocked) 1/15/12 - R tube removed Started Stim Injections 2/17/12 Follistim 300iu and Low Dose HCG 10 units Trigger - 2/25/12 ER 2/27/12 ET - 5 dt - 3/3/12 1 blast transferred 9 frosties BETA #1 - 626 :) Beta #2 - 2470 :) Beta #3 - 5470 3/29/12 - 6wks 3 days - no yolk sac, embie, or hb :( Blighted Ovum 8/3/12 - FET #1 1 flickering blast transferred 8/9/12 - POAS + 8/15/12 - Beta #1 1400 Beta #2 3200 8/20/12 - U/S 5 wks 1 day Yolk Sac seen 8/28/12 - 6wks 2 days - Heartbeat 116 9/4/12 - 7wks 3 days - HB 136 YAY! TEAM BLUE! Alex was born 4/15/13 5:09pm 6lb 10oz 20in!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Where did you get it? If its from a grocery store in America, it's probably already been cooked. You're fine.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Loading the player...
  • Exactly. It doesn't say it's raw, right? Lots of food has egg or egg yolk in it. But it's been cooked.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • yes, grocery store in canada, by a well known brand. i just didn't think that veggie dip was cooked, so i just went "OMG RAW EGG!?!"

My SIL is telling me it's fine ... so I'll take everyone's word for it. 

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • It's fine. Mayo has egg yolks too. As long as it isn't homemade and unpasteurized you're fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemabenner1:
    It's fine. Mayo has egg yolks too. As long as it isn't homemade and unpasteurized you're fine.

ya it doesn't say anything about being pasteurized 

• imageRussianMommy:

imagemabenner1:
    It's fine. Mayo has egg yolks too. As long as it isn't homemade and unpasteurized you're fine.

ya it doesn't say anything about being pasteurized 

If it is sold in a chain store in a developed nation you're fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • okay, thank you
  • Yes, I think baby will be just fine. Ugh all of these things to scare us when we are pregnant! As far as eating it in the future, like the pp said, mayo has raw eggs in it too and now that I think of it, I've seen it on some ice cream too. Foods that are meant to be consumed raw (like veggie dip, ice cream, mayo) and are sold in regular grocery stores, not specialty "whole foods" type chains, use pasteurized egg yolks and you should be fine eating them when pregnant. Otherwise, they'd run the risk of making the whole population sick- because it's not just the pregnant that need to avoid this kind of stuff, it's also the very young, elderly, and immune-suppressed (like cancer patients).

To be completely sure, I'd probably Google the phone number for the company that makes it, and ask them directly if their yolks are raw.

Try not to worry about what you've already eaten. It's not that the raw egg itself is harmful, it's the low chance of the certain bacteria that could be harmful, but chances are, it's not even carrying the bacteria. I keep telling myself that I am early in my pregnancy and some women don't find out until a week or so later and do all kinds of stuff they probably shouldn't. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Most dips are made with mayo as a prominent ingredient. That's why there is egg yolk in it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"