December 2011 Moms
Options

Breast milk to formula transition questions

Well, the day has come, my freezer stash now consists of 5 bags, so it's time for me to start thinking about supplementing. I plan to continue to pump and nurse exclusively when he's with me, but will need some formula for daycare, so a few questions for you ladies who have transitioned (and some apply to those who used formula all along).

1. How did you determine how many ounces of formula to give? DS takes 6oz of breast milk in daycare bottles now.

2. What type of formula do you use (powder, ready-to-feed, etc.)? I was planning to use our powdered samples but had someone say I really shouldn't since it's not sterile like other options - what do you all do?

3. Did you mix BM/formula or do whole BM bottles and whole formula bottles?

Thanks so much for the help!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Breast milk to formula transition questions

• Options

When I had to start supplementing I just gave DS 1/2 formula 1/2 breast milk.  I gave the same total amount of ounces as he would take in breast milk.  I found as time went on that he took less formula than he would breast milk.  Over time we were able to gradually switch exclusively to formula with bottles and nursing full time while he's with me. 

We use the powder type formula.  They say it isn't as sterile as the ready feed, but I haven't had a problem yet.  DS actually doesn't like the ready feed kind. 

Hope this helps!

• Options

1 - I started out by giving the same amount she had been taking for BM bottles.  At her most, she was taking an 8oz bottle (made like it was going to be 7oz, but ends up being 8 with water+formula).  I'm now making 6oz bottles (ends up being ~7oz)

2 - I use powder, either similac or Target's version.  I have no idea why your samples wouldn't be safe to use as long as they're still unopened.

3 - I did mix even though "they" say not to in case baby doesn't finish the whole bottle, then you're wasting BM.  But my DD rarely leaves bottles unfinished, so I wasn't worried.

good luck!  the transition was a non-issue for us, hope the same for you!

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ds took a while ti warm up to a bottle in general but he only had powder formula out of it so im sure that was partvof the problem. I never had enough milk to pump so i didnt have that option. He started with 2 oz then the boob after .... now we are at 46 depending on what feeding it is. With no boob after. I still nurse for naps and in the middle of the night wake ups cause it just lets us both go back to sleep sooner! Lol. We also got a box of similac readybto go 8 oz bottles. You just screw a nipple on it and call it done. Sooo easy for traveling, shopping ... places water or warm water isnt available and nursing wouldnt be ideal. Plus my supply isnt enough to fill him up anymore i dont think. Formula is pricey i think but the first 2 containers i probably wasted half the container because i didnt want to make 4 oz and he want 6 cause everytime i tried making just 4 he would want more then he wouldnt eat it when i came back with more i guess the mood had passed. So just trial and error is what we did and we still dont know. Gluck
  • Options

We've been supplementing with formula for the past couple months and I'm planning to wean completely soon.  

1.  I give the same amount of formula as I would breast milk.  

2.  I use Similac RTF because it's really easy and it's what LO had when she was a newborn and my milk was slow to come in.  It's definitely more expensive though so I'm hoping to use powder also once I stop BFing.

3.  I rarely mix breast milk and formula.  Initially I was worried that if she didn't like the formula, I would be wasting breast milk (and I never had enough to spare).  If your LO has never had formula, it might be a good idea to mix a couple bottles to help ease the transition.  

GL! 

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image
    The third time was the charm!
    BFP #3 ~ 4.08.11 ~ EDD: 12.17.11 ~ DD born 12.13.11
    BFP #2 - 8.04.10 - missed m/c discovered 8.31.10, d&c 9.02.10
    BFP #1 - 5.20.10 - m/c 5.29.10 @ 5w6d
  • Options

1. we give the same whether it's 100% BM or a mixture.

2. we use powder. it's fine.

3. we mix. DS has had to be on formula supplements since the beginning. we were at an 85/15 (BM:F) prior to me stopping domperidome, and now we're 2oz BM:4oz F. he's never had an issue. we also break the "rules" and if he doesn't finish a bottle, it goes back in the fridge and he drinks it later on. 

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Options
    We started supplementing with formula about 2 months ago and it was helpful to mix BM and formula at first bc LO refused to drink formula straight up. Now he can go back and forth between BM and formula without any issues. We use Similac because they were the first manufacturers to remove BFA from their containers. The others may have followed suit by now though. GL!
  • Options
    Thank you all sooooo much! So helpful!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"