Baby Names

Irish as they get!

Our baby boy's name will be Patrick Kevin. All the first boys in his family are Patrick's, with different middle names. My thing is, while I love Patrick, I really don't like Pat, it's obvious nickname.. I hope people will stick to calling him by his whole name! Does anyone know of any nicknames for Patrick? My SO's is Packy, his dad's is PattyO and I haven't heard any others....

Re: Irish as they get!

• could you go with Rick or Ricky?
  • Loading the player...
  • P.K.?  I know a Patrick who goes by P.K. (his ln starts with K).
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
  • My nephew is Patrick and no one has ever called him Pat.  My brother and sister-in-law set the tone very early that he was to be called Patrick and, so far, everyone has respected that.  Now, when he's older, his friends may start calling him Pat and I suppose there isn't much they'll be able to do about that if my nephew doesn't mind it.   So, maybe you won't need to worry about a nickname.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My neighbors son is Patrick and they call him Patrick.
    Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~ Elizabeth Stone
    "Don't marry a man unless you would be PROUD to have a son exactly like him." ~ Unknown
  • imagerockopera:
    P.K.?  I know a Patrick who goes by P.K. (his ln starts with K).

I know someone who goes by PK. His name is Paul (middle name with a K). I think it's cute!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What about Rick/Ricky? You could use Patsy also but that sounds a little girly. Another possibility is calling him by his middle name.
  • I say Rick/Ricky or just go with Patrick.
  • I love Ricky.  But you could just use his full name like others said.  Nothing wrong with that.

• I have considered Rick/y and Paddy. I really like plain Patrick though. :)
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I've known a Patrick, Rick and a Pat so anything is possible!
  • Patch? (Does that sound too much like a pet's name? or a pirates? :))
    ---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
    BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
    Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
    Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
    Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
  • I have a brother Patrick and I call him Pete or Petrie. It just sort of happened that way. We used to call him Pat sometimes, and my mom still calls him Pattie occasionally, ew. Most people just call him Patrick.
  • I have heard of Rick for Patrick
  • What about Trick?

• I personally don't think it needs a NN. Nice name!
    Dx PCOS 09/12
    Married my best friend 10/12/12
    TTC 1 since 10/12
    NTNP Fall 2013 to focus on a healthier lifestyle
    Anniversary

• Paddy. I have a very Irish family and Paddy is a very common nickename

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I totally agree with you.  Patrick is on our short list, but I hate Pat.  I think as the parents, you set the tone.  call him Patrick, address him by that name and correct others who don't.  It's like with people who have a William and don't call him Bill or Billy.  Others will follow your lead.  Great name!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic View Full Size Image
    BFP#1 11/12/11 ~ No heartbeat 12/12/11 ~ D&C 12/19/11
    BFP#2 3/25/12 ~ Heartbeat 141 4/16/12 ~ No heartbeat 4/25/12 ~ D&C 04/30/12 
    BFP#3 7/16/12 ~ EDD 3/26/13 ~ It's a BOY ~ DOB 2/26/13

• Team Trick.  That is awesome.
    The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • Patch or Trick.
  • My papa's name was Patrick, and everyone called him Paddy. (like the Irish whiskey)

I work with a guy named Patrick now, and everyone calls him by his full name, which I love...

• I don't really care for Pat/Patty or Rick/Ricky. I would just push Patrick as hard as you can.

• Love Patrick. hate the nicknames. Call him Patrick and hope it sticks.

FWIW, my DD2 is Caroline. We don't like any of the nn's associated with it, so we call her Caroline and so does everyone else.

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Patrick is on our short list as well....

i hate Pat too! i think it'd be cute as a little guy to call him tricky or patty or ricky...but i'd push for patrick all the time as well.

Henry gets Hank sometimes but i stop that asap 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Paddy is very Irish but, I love Ricky!
  • imageaeh72:
    My nephew is Patrick and no one has ever called him Pat.  My brother and sister-in-law set the tone very early that he was to be called Patrick and, so far, everyone has respected that. 

exactly.  tell everyone to call him patrick and they will follow suit.

my name has a standard nickname that i dislike.  i've never had an issue telling people that i go by full name.  once people are put on notice, they call me accordingly.

• imageAF9211:
    What about Trick?

I prefer Trick to Rick! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelittlebitta:
    I say Rick/Ricky or just go with Patrick.

Yes

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • imageaeh72:
    My nephew is Patrick and no one has ever called him Pat.  My brother and sister-in-law set the tone very early that he was to be called Patrick and, so far, everyone has respected that.  Now, when he's older, his friends may start calling him Pat and I suppose there isn't much they'll be able to do about that if my nephew doesn't mind it.   So, maybe you won't need to worry about a nickname.

I agree with this one.  If your son doesn't mind being called Pat when he's older, there's not much you can do about it, but when he's little you can say "We only call him Patrick".

FWIW, I wouldn't call a child by any nickname the parents don't use - if you introduce him as Patrick, most people will call him Patrick too.  My mom's friend has an Andrew and a Matthew.  They're both in their mid-20's and they are only Andrew and Matthew.

• Thanks for the feedback everyone!!
  • I know a Patrick that gets called Paddy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"