1st Trimester
Options

Those new airport x-ray scanners...safe?

I am about to fly home in 3 weeks and am currently 6 weeks pregnant. Was wondering with those new x-ray scanners at the airport that you have to go through, if it will be safe for baby or if I need to tell the security that I am pregnant and get a pat down or something. Anyone know?

Re: Those new airport x-ray scanners...safe?

• Options
    Just tell them you are pregnant and they will just send you through the metal detector. Not sure how much radiation you exposed to in the x-ray scanner but there's no need to expose yourself to anymore radiation than necessary.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I just flew at 8 weeks and they said it used sound waves instead of xrays that is what security at the airport said but I asked for a pat down anyway just because I was a little paranoid about flying/traveling anyway. There was a little confusion because there was only one female at security but they were very nice about it. I flew out of Baltimore/Washington International
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I asked my doctor about it when I was traveling, and she said it was not a problem.
  • Options
    I've been told that the radiation you are exposed to in those machines is about equal to the radiation you'll receive during 5 minutes of flight time, although I am paranoid.  I might request a pat down.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    honestly, I think it's safe... but if you're really worried, then tell them ahead of time. Tons of women go through them with no issues and I'm sure lots of women go through with without even knowing they are pregnant yet.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I asked for a pat down every time I flew I flew a lot with pregnant with DDS. I'll do the same with this pregnancy. It wasn't a big deal except for when I flew through Boston Logan and the TSA agent was being a twatwaffle about it.

Usually if you're nice to them they're nice to you. I once went through I usually strike a conversion the lady asked me how far along I was and seemed genuinely excited for me. It was sweet.

Army Girl, been in since Feb 2003 married to an Army Man, in since 1990. Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I just go through the pat down. But they did give me a hard time about it at Boston airport....other than that, I've had no problems.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I will be asking for a pat down. I realize it's probably paranoia but I don't believe what TSA have to tell me. I will be asking my friend before I fly as she actually sells a particular type of these machines. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"