Baby Names

Thoughts on Sutton?

Thoughts on the name "Sutton Thomas" Sutton is for my husbands mothers maiden name and Thomas was my fathers name. Also, how would it be nicknamed? I really like the name but I'm having a hard time with the nickname thing.

I also like Thomas Scott, Thomas is also my older brothers middle name and Scott is my younger brothers middle name so it covers all the bases, but I hesitate to use Thomas as a first name because I have 4 other siblings and our father passed away when we were young so I don't want them to think they can't use it if they wanted to.
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Thoughts on Sutton?

• I think of Sutton Foster, who is an actress.  She was Thoroughly Modern Millie on Broadway, and is now starring in Bunheads on ABC Family.

I think it could also work for a boy.  

I wouldn't use a nn, unless you did Thomas Sutton and called him by his initials like TS Eliot.

• Personally, I`m not a fan of Sutton.  I prefer Thomas Scott.  Or what about Scott Thomas if you don`t want Thomas as the fn? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am not a fan of Sutton at all but I love Thomas Scott. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• I like Sutton and I would be inclined to use Sully as a nickname.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageVisit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • imagemisscheapandchic:
    I like Sutton and I would be inclined to use Sully as a nickname.

How is Sully a nickname for Sutton? 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Sorry but the first thing I thought of was a place I got my glasses in California called Sutton Optical. Second was is it a brand of toilet paper? lol, I'm tired, been a long week!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love Thomas Scott! I'm not a huge fan of Sutton, but I would be ok with using it as a middle name bc it has family significance. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • I think Sutton is fine. But think Sutton Thomas flows a bit awkwardly. But how often would you be saying the full name.....I can't think of any nickname to for Sutton.  Have any of your siblings mentioned wanting to use Thomas? 

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My oldest sister doesn't plan on having children, but my older brother has mentioned using it before and my other siblings are still younger and are still dating around with no serious relationships. Which is why I'd rather use it as a middle name. I also have a cousin Thomas who is my age that was named after my father. I like the idea of using both my brothers names as well as my fathers because I've always been closer to my brothers than my sisters, but I just don't feel like Scott Thomas flows well...
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The only Sutton I know of is the actress Sutton Foster. I don't care for the name for a boy or girl.

• I'm neutral on it. My first thought was a few subdivisions I've known over the years named Sutton Fields, etc.

I think Sully could work as a nn. Not every nn has to be direct/literal.  

• imagekacelle:

imagemisscheapandchic:
    I like Sutton and I would be inclined to use Sully as a nickname.

How is Sully a nickname for Sutton? 

How is Sadie a nickname for Sarah, how is Jack a nickname for John? Nicknames are not always direct. I knew a Sutton growing up, his nickname was Sully. Seems normal to me.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageVisit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • It's one of my GP names. I put it in the gender neutral category, mainly because I've never met any Sutton's IRL, and the only one I'm familiar with is Sutton Foster. 

I think Sutton Thomas has a nice ring to it.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • I've only heard the name Sutton on a girl before.  As a name, it just sounds kind of ugly to me (sorry!) Maybe because it kind of reminds me of the word sullen?  BUT I think if it's a family name it's a little different, I would be more okay with that.  

Thomas is a great name! 

• I actually kind of like Sutton, but I do think of Sutton Foster.
  • I like that Sutton has no nicknames I'm not personally a fan of them, so I'm drawn to names that don't lend themselves to one too easily. That said, Sutton is NMS, but I think I like it more than Thomas Scott. Maybe Scott Thomas?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • I like the name Sutton. There is a boy (middle school age) named Sutton that goes to our church...although I kept thinking people were calling him Sudden at first. :) Anyway, I think Sutton Thomas sounds really nice. 

I also think Sully would be a fun nickname as someone else mentioned.  

Married 07/2008 TTC 10/2010 Clomid 10/2011-04/2012 Referred to RE 05/2012 1st cycle of Letrozole 06/2012 07/2012 Break cycle due to being out of town= BFP on 8/13/12
  • I prefer Sutton on a girl. I also can't see any nicknames for Sutton other than Sutt/Sutty, which aren't really great nicknames.

Thomas Scott is nice. You could always use Scott Thomas or Thomas Sutton if you like.

• I love Sutton! Not crazy about the nn Sully though...
  • My niece is Sutton & I can't think of it as a boys name. That said, it's nms as a girls name either. 
  • I'm okay with Sutton Thomas.  Also, I don't think you should worry about your sibs naming plans.  You can't 'call' a name until you're pregnant.
  • The only time I've heard of Sutton used as a name, was as a last name... I don't care for it as a first time. I do like Thomas Scott though, I really like that actually..
    Anniversary
    c Untitled
    My Ovulation Chart
    *TTC #1 since June 2012*
    Married since 10/5/12!

*Me: 25**DH: 45*

*DX: Severe MFI- Low T, Delayed Ejaculation & Azoospermia*
    *Working to improve DH's numbers on Clomid & HCG injects before we can start IVF*
    *SA 1- No sperm* 7/25/12
    *SA 2- No sperm* 10/31/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"