Baby Names
Options

Calan

So Calan is my middle name.  My parents found it in a tiny book called "Unique Baby Names".  It originated as a nn for Calandra (which is apparently a type of lark - I've found it in a few places, although BTN fails on this one). They picked it to offset the crazy popular first name they gave me.

Anyway.  It's pronounced more or less like my screen name. People are always reading it with a soft a (as in "cat").

I like it, when it is pronounced the correct way.  I might consider it for my future hypothetical progeny.  

I also might consider spelling it closer to the way it sounds - Caillin (which is actually the Irish word for "girl").

WDYT of Calan or Caillin?

Re: Calan

• Options
    I think it is cute but I also thought it was a soft a. So if you don't mind probably having to correct people on the way to say the name right then go for it.
  • Options

I won't lie, seeing it spelled the way you demonstrated did make me think "Cal-In". 

I have three friends with little girls: Kailyn, Kaylin, & Cailyn.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think Kalin might be what you want. Think it's an Irish boy name. Correct me if I'm wrong, bumpies.
  • Options

You will always be correcting it because the "correct" way, phonetically anyway, is Cal-an. Lots of names are like that though, so if you love the spelling I wouldn't let it deter you. I had a student (a boy) named Calan and he pronounced it Cay-lin. CONSTANTLY had to correct people. 

It is also the name of a heart medication, or at least was back when I worked in a pharmacy in the 90's. Not sure if it is still around. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I taught a Kaylin and a Kaylynn. The only way I would pronounce that name correctly would be with a y in there.
  • Options
    To be honest the only time I have seen the name spelled Calan or Kalan has been on a boy, as a variant of the Irish boy name Caolan. So I would assume boy when I saw it. For a girl I'd spell it more like Kaylin/Cailyn/etc.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    imageNotwifezilla7:

I won't lie, seeing it spelled the way you demonstrated did make me think "Cal-In". 

I have three friends with little girls: Kailyn, Kaylin, & Cailyn.  

I think the spelling on these might work better---particularly the first. I think it sounds pretty and I don't hear it being used where I live.

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I love family names and the thought of wanting to use your mn.  However, this one you will be correctly all the time.  I completely thought it was pronounced with short a instead of long a.  If you really want to use it, I would use it in the mn spot again so that you won't have to correct it as much.
    BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I know a Kaelyn
  • Options

imagemkanderson85:
    I taught a Kaylin and a Kaylynn. The only way I would pronounce that name correctly would be with a y in there.

This.  Calan looks like it's a boy's name, not to mention I would never think it was supposed to be 'kay-lin'...  I would def use a 'y'.  Pretty though once I figured out how it's pronounced!!

Chemical Pregnancy 5.2011. BFP 9.2011 MC @ 8.5w D&C 11.4.2011 sweet pea is always in our hearts. BFP 3.23.2012! Our baby turkey is due 11.22.2012! Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagekaylynne:

WDYT of Calan or Caillin?

Caillin has an aweful lot of vertical lines that all blend together with the 2 i's and 2 l's all mashed together, even the 'n' has 2 vertical lines Smile

The name is very pretty and I love it, (DD is a Caelyn due to family tradition) and if you really like it there are lots of ways to spell it. It's #59, and there lots of choices.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Aul5rjpfI_qvdFJrVzU5SzdIS3NSSUptSktoQW8telE

Derek - February 2013        Caelyn April 2011
    imageimage

• Options

imagebrittersdamod:
    I think it is cute but I also thought it was a soft a. So if you don't mind probably having to correct people on the way to say the name right then go for it.

Agreed.

• Options
    Cal an is pronounced like alan but witha. Hard kuh....i don't like this pronunciation or name for a girl.
    Caillin is ok...i say it like Kay Lynn

Caillin has my vote..
  • Options

There was a guy on last season of the bachelor whose name was Khelan (not sure of the spelling - definitely a K and definitely the same pronunciation as the one you're going for).  It's possible people will think it's androgenous and probably they will mispronounce it. 

If you like it despite those things, I would go for it.  Also, I would spell it the way yours is spelled rather than trying to write a phonetic spelling that is made up.

• Options
    My friend has a boy Callan, so I would automatically think Calan was a boy on paper.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"